Cruise Coming Up, Would You Take?

rocky
This topic is 1515 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue isn't an individual one. Yes, if you yourself get coronavirus, the odds you yourself will have a serious complication are low. It's about slowing the SPREAD. We are likely all going to get it, but if we all get it in a two month span, there will be hell to pay. About 5% of patients require a stay in the ICU. We only have about half a million ICU beds in the country, most of which are occupied at any given time. So that's more like 200,000 "free" beds. 5 % of 330 million is over 16 million. Assuming people are in ICU for just a week, the cases need to be spread over EIGHTY WEEKS to not overload the system. When the system DOES get overloaded, those "complications" become far more likely to become "fatalities."

The school closures/event cancellations are not to protect the kids, they're to disrupt the trajectory of infection and spread it out over a longer period so fewer people die.

Mike you are correct I live in North Orange County. Getting to Tijuana, parking my car in San Diego, and getting to the TJ airport would be a pain but a definite possibility. There have only been 6 cases of the virus recorded in Mexico and all of those have been in Mexico City. I keeping my fingers crossed that United won't cancel my flights.

You live in northern Orange County but take United to PV? So do you fly up to SF, then back down to PV? Or does United have flights from the LA area to PV?

I'm taking a direct United Flight from LAX. It departs LAX at 7:48 a.m. arriving in Puerto Vallarta at 11:30 a.m. Return flight departs Puerto Vallarta at 12:50 p.m. arriving LAX at 3:03 p.m.

Additionally both Alaska and American have direct flights from LAX. I'm not sure about Delta. Southwest has a stop in Phoenix both ways.

I'm taking a direct United Flight from LAX. It departs LAX at 7:48 a.m. arriving in Puerto Vallarta at 11:30 a.m. Return flight departs Puerto Vallarta at 12:50 p.m. arriving LAX at 3:03 p.m.

Additionally both Alaska and American have direct flights from LAX. I'm not sure about Delta. Southwest has a stop in Phoenix both ways.

Usually I take Alaska...I have miles on their program. And occasionally get my sister-in-law as my First Class flight attendant ?

I’m finishing a six day cruise as I type this. Pull back into Port Everglades in six hours. Had a blast. Felt safer on the ship than I did in the neighborhood to be honest. Seeing everyone temperature checked, sanitized areas every few hours, everyone washing hands...

Could something happen? Sure. But it’s like flying. You’re more likely to die in a car accident then in the air. But it’s the plane crash that makes the news.

I’m going to live my life. Yes, I’ll be diligent with regards to sanitization but I’m not going to lock myself at home and hide. (Unless I get sick and actually need to quarantine.)

I’ve only opted for cruises on small ship/boutique lines. You couldn't pay me to get on one of those mega floating Petri dishes. The possibility of getting trapped or quarantined onboard is completely unappealing

I’m finishing a six day cruise as I type this. Pull back into Port Everglades in six hours. Had a blast. Felt safer on the ship than I did in the neighborhood to be honest. Seeing everyone temperature checked, sanitized areas every few hours, everyone washing hands...

Could something happen? Sure. But it’s like flying. You’re more likely to die in a car accident then in the air. But it’s the plane crash that makes the news.

I’m going to live my life. Yes, I’ll be diligent with regards to sanitization but I’m not going to lock myself at home and hide. (Unless I get sick and actually need to quarantine.)

Unfortunately, you could be asymptomatic.

We might pass in the air. I’m returning next week on Cathay Pacific. They have changed my flights 3 times in the last two weeks. I now have to overnight in Hong Kong because only 1 flight a day between Bkk and HK.

Hoping no more changes.

Unfortunately, you could be asymptomatic.

If you went to the grocery store, you might be also. I’m not going to live my life in fear. I could walk outside and be struck by a car. It does not mean I should never go outside. Instead you take reasonable precautions to try and prevent it.

If you went to the grocery store, you might be also. I’m not going to live my life in fear. I could walk outside and be struck by a car. It does not mean I should never go outside. Instead you take reasonable precautions to try and prevent it.

My guess you never served in the United States military.