Cruise Coming Up, Would You Take?

rocky
This topic is 1515 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Would I be nuts to take a cross country flight in two weeks? ...

As of this time, it's probably safe to fly. Difficult to say how things will be in 2 weeks. I plan to fly in a couple of weeks to Guatemala and Belize via DFW on the way over, via MIA on the way back. If you haven't bought your ticket, and can postpone your trip, you might want to wait until May, when coronaviruses don't usually seem to spread, or take a wait and see position.

AADOMFIRST-2.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAL took a 70% tumble, more than any other legacy airline by far.

Sure, there's speculation that they're going to file for bankruptcy protection (again), but I don't see it happening. Like you said in your reply, I'm in this for the long run and don't plan on doing a quick flip.

I also snagged RCL, CCL and NCLH on their roughly 45%+ downfall. The industry will recover. Again, a long term move for me.

jim-cramer-mad-money-300x300.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YKSkwd1tbwc/UUnV2VIib8I/AAAAAAAAwEU/gz18baVqu4k/s1600/dwar.jpg

I expect a steep V curve on hospitality, travel

A rapid plummet - a rapid rise when situation is resolved (pent up demand)

i assume it fairly easy to assume they continue to fall

There might be guesswork to predict when we turn the corner

Trump ADMIN may try a bailout but expect nothing to help hourly works busting their ass cleaning rooms and airplanes

Edited by DERRIK

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YKSkwd1tbwc/UUnV2VIib8I/AAAAAAAAwEU/gz18baVqu4k/s1600/dwar.jpg

'My pants will come off... Tomorrow.

Betcha he's a bottom and tomorrow,

He'll get fucked.'

'When I'm stuck with a gay, that's gray and lonely,

I just stick it in him,

and grin,

and plaaaaaaaaaaaay.'

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

I will be 80 in October and I intend to live my life exactly as I always have. I'm sick to death listening to all the hysteria regarding this virus. I am flying to Puerto Vallarta, for a weeks vacation, in two weeks and am going to be pissed beyond belief if United cancels my flights.

I'm of the same mind, but depending on how this continues to play out, all major airlines might drastically cut back.

That's not to say we should worry about it, but accept the possibility exists.

Enjoy MX :)

FYI -- Dr. Fauci did the Sunday morning shows today and said anyone older or with any underlying conditions should definitely NOT get on a cruise ship right now.

Did he qualify "older"?

Gman

The "older" that has been quoted in the nedia is 60!!

Well thank gosh, I'm safe then. I only turned 59 two months ago. Of course that means I'm in my 60th year. I hope that isn't what he meant.

Gman

I will be 80 in October and I intend to live my life exactly as I always have. I'm sick to death listening to all the hysteria regarding this virus. I am flying to Puerto Vallarta, for a weeks vacation, in two weeks and am going to be pissed beyond belief if United cancels my flights.

If they do, go to Tijuana and take a flight on Aeromexico. They won't cancel [probably] and likely cheaper.

If they do, go to Tijuana and take a flight on Aeromexico. They won't cancel [probably] and likely cheaper.

Well, he lives in the SF area, so that would mean taking a flight to San Diego, ground transportation to the CBX airport terminal, then walking across on the bridge to the airport....

deltatruckparkinginotaymesa-cbxtijuanaairportbridge-explained4-825x500.png

Well, he lives in the SF area, so that would mean taking a flight to San Diego, ground transportation to the CBX airport terminal, then walking across on the bridge to the airport....

deltatruckparkinginotaymesa-cbxtijuanaairportbridge-explained4-825x500.png

I think @Epigonos lives in Orange County or the LA basin. But either way, Aeromexico may be the way to go if United stops flights to Puerto Vallarta.

Mike you are correct I live in North Orange County. Getting to Tijuana, parking my car in San Diego, and getting to the TJ airport would be a pain but a definite possibility. There have only been 6 cases of the virus recorded in Mexico and all of those have been in Mexico City. I keeping my fingers crossed that United won't cancel my flights.

How bad are jacuzzis, assuming you use them alone and they’re kept pretty hot? I’d think that the heat would kill the virus although the area around the tub cpu,d get pretty geeky.

I’m at a hotel now and wluld love to take a dip.

70-B937-D0-D28-E-420-C-8-EC2-E37-F2269-C7-F7.jpg

I don't know about the Corona Virus and Hot Tubs. It's main way of spreading I thought was droplets and direct touching of virus from someone's secretions and then touching your nose/face/eyes.

Gman

Warning : Travel stocks likely to plummet today as CDC warns against cruise travel and long haul flights. My guess is cruise stocks especially get hit hard.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/08/cdc-warns-plane-trips-cruises-coronavirus-124153

From CDC:

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel

Key Points

• CDC recommends travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, defer all cruise ship travel worldwide.
  • Sustained community spread of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19 has been reported in many countries.
  • Cruise ship passengers are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
  • Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

I'm not panicking at this point, but I would not tempt fate with a cruise or any other mass travel environment.

Right now, I agree with the general sentiment to avoid cruises in the near future. The husband and I took two cruises last year, and the second cruise we stayed in an interior room (he didn't mind; I hated it). Being locked down in an interior room would have been a nightmare for me personally. I love cruises, but I think this year I'd steer clear.

Warning : Travel stocks likely to plummet today as CDC warns against cruise travel and long haul flights. My guess is cruise stocks especially get hit hard.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/08/cdc-warns-plane-trips-cruises-coronavirus-124153

From CDC:

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel

Key Points

• CDC recommends travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, defer all cruise ship travel worldwide.
  • Sustained community spread of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19 has been reported in many countries.
  • Cruise ship passengers are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
  • Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

Can you imagine the job of a cruise lobbyist right now? They're earning that paycheck this week.

An elderly British woman on board the coronavirus-stricken cruise ship off the California coast groused over the conditions on board, where “stir-crazy” passengers fight over “rotten” food, according to a new report.

Margaret Bartlett, 77 — one of 140 Brits aboard the vessel where 21 people have tested positive for the infection — told the BBC that she’s been confined to her cabin, which has no balcony.

“The food is rotten and terrible and we have to fight for it,” Bartlett told the network. “It is not good enough.”

“We are going stir crazy stuck in the cabin,” she added. “It is a bit depressing when we saw land and it was sunny and we couldn’t get out.”

https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/people-fighting-over-rotten-food-on-coronavirus-stricken-grand-princess-cruise-passenger/

A good friend of mine told me this morning that she and her husband, who take a couple of cruises each year, still intend to take the cruise in the Mediterranean that they booked a year ago; it leaves April 1st, and ends in Italy. They are both in their 70s, and he has underlying health issues. I told her she is crazy.

A good friend of mine told me this morning that she and her husband, who take a couple of cruises each year, still intend to take the cruise in the Mediterranean that they booked a year ago; it leaves April 1st, and ends in Italy. They are both in their 70s, and he has underlying health issues. I told her she is crazy.

ALL of Italy is now on lockdown.

~Boomer~