Cruise Coming Up, Would You Take?

rocky
This topic is 1515 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Harry Sommer. March 6, 2020

President & CEO

Norwegian Cruise Line:

I want to provide our guests and travel partners with reassurance, so I am very pleased to announce our new Peace of Mind policy. Simply put, for any voyage from March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020, guests are free to cancel anytime up to 48 hours in advance of embarkation. Please note that this new policy applies to individual and group bookings only. Anyone choosing to cancel will receive a full refund in the form of a future cruise credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. This is by far the most consumer-friendly policy in the industry. We put our guests first!

Another reason Norwegian is my go-to for cruises. They are the best at customer service, hands down.

I was on a Bermuda cruise stuck in the Atlantic when TS Irene passed by delaying our ability to get back to NY and causing extremely rough seas. They bent over backwards to make sure all the passengers were able to contact home at no cost and the captain was available at all times for people if they had any questions or concerns. If he wasn't in the public areas, he was giving everyone hourly updates.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason Norwegian is my go-to for cruises. They are the best at customer service, hands down.

I was on a Bermuda cruise stuck in the Atlantic when TS Irene passed by delaying our ability to get back to NY and causing extremely rough seas. They bent over backwards to make sure all the passengers were able to contact home at no cost and the captain was available at all times for people if they had any questions or concerns. If he wasn't in the public areas, he was giving everyone hourly updates.

To be fair, most cruise lines are doing this at the moment.

I got an email from Viking about an upcoming ocean cruise that basically said the same thing.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

I hardly want to make social dinner plans that require taking the subway and have purchased an elliptical machine for my home to avoid going across the street to my gym. So, no; i wouldn’t take a cruise right now. Even upcoming work conferences in May have been canceled.

I won’t take any ocean cruise because of the environmental damage caused by these ships. The industry claims to have cleaned up their act but much of that is greenwashing. These ocean liners still dump waste overboard usually at 4:00 AM when passengers are asleep. The industry has lobbied and succeeded at obtaining special exemptions for diesel fuel contamination.

For these and many other reasons I just can’t in good conscience take an ocean cruise. I don’t have a problem with others choosing to take these voyages, it’s a personal choice and they are enjoyable for them.

I won’t take any ocean cruise because of the environmental damage caused by these ships. The industry claims to have cleaned up their act but much of that is greenwashing. These ocean liners still dump waste overboard usually at 4:00 AM when passengers are asleep. The industry has lobbied and succeeded at obtaining special exemptions for diesel fuel contamination.

For these and many other reasons I just can’t in good conscience take an ocean cruise. I don’t have a problem with others choosing to take these voyages, it’s a personal choice and they are enjoyable for them.

NPR had a piece yesterday about how much energy “the cloud” uses. The amount of digital bandwidth is about to increase several times as 5G becomes a reality.

“The cloud” is powered by thousands of server farms which suck up huge amounts of electricity. Almost all of that electricity is generated by coal/gas plants and generates pollution. The real surprise was that the pollution was equal to the pollution generated by the transportation industry?.

Bottom line, typing away on your electronic devices to post here is highly polluting?. So along with cruises, you need to give up your digital device uses that get on the internet and use “the cloud.”

NPR had a piece yesterday about how much energy “the cloud” uses. The amount of digital bandwidth is about to increase several times as 5G becomes a reality.

“The cloud” is powered by thousands of server farms which suck up huge amounts of electricity. Almost all of that electricity is generated by coal/gas plants and generates pollution. The real surprise was that the pollution was equal to the pollution generated by the transportation industry?.

Bottom line, typing away on your electronic devices to post here is highly polluting?. So along with cruises, you need to give up your digital device uses that get on the internet and use “the cloud.”

About a year ago I met a kid on SA who thought be was going to get rich bitcoin mining. He bragged that he and his roommates were able to heat their apartment in the winter based solely on the heat generated by their hardware. (Their utilities were included in their rent.)

I wondered if the DEA ever did a check on them for a potential grow operation based on extraordinary electricity usage.... ?

Personally, I would not get on a cruise ship at this time.

I am not afraid of the virus. Not concerned with exposure or becoming sick.

The media hype, human tendency for panic, herd mentality, the asshole in the White House, etc.... I wouldn't risk getting stuck on a ship that isnt permitted to dock.

I'm still traveling later this month - not on a ship.

I know the reasons are vastly different.... but there's something about the cruise ships' treatments that is eerily reminiscent of the MS St. Louis in the 30s

Much as I hate to see my RCI stock tank, I'm holding off on cruising until there's an effective vaccine, which might not even be ready by next winter.... :(

effective vaccine, which might not even be ready by next winter.... :(

Wonder if the cruise line will still be operating.

grand-princess-00-768x512.jpg

Voyage of the Damned 2.0

Why did they only test 46 people on the cruise ship docked off San Francisco? My guess is once they found out that 21 out of 46 tested positive, they stopped testing because that’s a 46% positive rate and with 3,500 people on the ship that would equate to 1,610 people. Those numbers are too high for Trump’s PR campaign, his reelection, and the stock market. And we all know those are the only three things that matter to him.

Wonder if the cruise line will still be operating.

Cruise lines operate with staggering fixed costs and thin profit margins. Most lines just break even with the passenger fare & rely on additional spending (drinks, shore excursions, spa, etc.) to make a profit. I shiver to think of the losses that mass cancellations will cause.

Cruise lines operate with staggering fixed costs and thin profit margins. Most lines just break even with the passenger fare & rely on additional spending (drinks, shore excursions, spa, etc.) to make a profit. I shiver to think of the losses that mass cancellations will cause.

Airlines are in the same boat. Fuel is expensive and none of them have any existing hedge left.

That said, I don't think the airlines nor the boats will go down for good. They'll find a way to survive this.

And now's the time to buy low: I bought a ton of AAL the other day. Just hold it awhile. It'll rebound.

And now's the time to buy low: I bought a ton of AAL the other day. Just hold it awhile. It'll rebound.

There's a sale on Wall Street! :D

I was supposed to fly back home to NYC but thought I’d be safer here in northern CA. My building in NYC is huge and would need to take the elevator constantly. Now I wish I had flown back because I risk infecting my parents, who are obviously at higher risk.

Would I be nuts to take a cross country flight in two weeks? My support animal will be protected.

508-AFE58-1-A15-45-CA-829-B-0604-DF66-AAE4.jpg

I would recommend cost averaging in at this point if you decide to buy, instead of putting it all in today. I agree travel stocks may be oversold (as I bought cruise and airline stock myself)… but there is not going to be a rational response to this issue and the recovery ( yes I am 100% convinced it will happen) will be relatively slow. Hence, buy some today, buy some more in a week or two, rinse, repeat (instead of buy it all today). My guess is you have time and we haven't quite hit bottom yet. Just keep in mind that timing the market is a losing battle, so that is why you buy some today. I also believe airlines will recover much faster than cruises!

@Benjamin_Nicholas .. would love to hear why American was your choice and I would be happy to share what I bought with you in return if interested.

@Benjamin_Nicholas .. would love to hear why American was your choice and I would be happy to share what I bought with you in return if interested.

AAL took a 70% tumble, more than any other legacy airline by far.

Sure, there's speculation that they're going to file for bankruptcy protection (again), but I don't see it happening. Like you said in your reply, I'm in this for the long run and don't plan on doing a quick flip.

I also snagged RCL, CCL and NCLH on their roughly 45%+ downfall. The industry will recover. Again, a long term move for me.

AAL took a 70% tumble, more than any other legacy airline by far.

Sure, there's speculation that they're going to file for bankruptcy protection (again), but I don't see it happening. Like you said in your reply, I'm in this for the long run and don't plan on doing a quick flip.

I also snagged RCL, CCL and NCLH on their roughly 45%+ downfall. The industry will recover. Again, a long term move for me.

Amazing. I bought the exact same 3 cruises and my airline stock was Allegiant (I don't love flying them but think they have great potential and am bullish on the megaresort in Florida they are opening). I think I am going to pick up some Disney soon as well (cruise and theme park slammed). I will definitely look into AAL... thank you sir!

There are many stocks whose business will not be affected by the virus. For example, H&R Block; sick or not, people will need to pay their taxes.

Some dividend yields are being pushed to high levels as the stock prices drop. If the stock is in an IRA account, the dividend yield is higher as it is tax free. For example, Outfront Media is yielding 5.8%; they have billboards which are often on long term contract and they have the lease to sell the advertising on NYC subways (in an election year, there will be no shortage of demand). So while you wait for the market to come back, you can get a nice income.

While no one can predict the bottom point of the market, this drop in price can be a buying opportunity for those investors with a long term view.