Can You Use Chop Sticks?

Avalon
This topic is 2194 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot eat with chopsticks. Believe me, I have tried, but I never got the trick. I hate when people say, “oh, it’s so easy, let me show you!”. Nobody has ever been successful at it, no matter how hard they tried :eek::rolleyes: I am just too clumsy: I always ask for cutlery, even in China.

I studied Chinese at university. It would not have been a good look not to be able to use them. (You can got away with using them as a shovel to push food into your mouth, but you know you have the knack if you can pick up something like a peanut!)

I have a post in another active thread about Boys In the Band. I did not mention in that thread that the friend of which I spoke was fr0m China. He came to the US at 12. He had a brother, born in the same year and both were in my classes. I was a frequent dinner guest at their home as it was on the walk to my home, which was about 1.5 miles away. I learned to use chopsticks at that home, as we rarely had need for them at my home. He learned the proper way to eat spaghetti at my home and also how to have three conversations at the same time over dinner. Most of the time, at his home, they used silverware utensils, except when they had food brought in from the Chinese restaurant they owned.

I can still manage to eat a single grain of rice with chopsticks. My friend was more of a shoveler, dish held close to the mouth and the chopsticks used as a shovel .

Yes....not sure of my skill level. But I was sitting at a shared round table at a dim sum place one day, surrounded by locals, and one of the elderly Asian ladies broke off her Cantonese convo with her lady friends said “you know what to order and you’re good with chopsticks!” :) So there’s that

Yes....not sure of my skill level. But I was sitting at a shared round table at a dim sum place one day, surrounded by locals, and one of the elderly Asian ladies broke off her Cantonese convo with her lady friends said “you know what to order and you’re good with chopsticks!” :) So there’s that

Victor Powers told me the exact same thing.

I learned in the 3rd grade. We had a class trip to the "International Market" in downtown Detroit, I bought a pair. The teacher showed me how to use them on the bus ride back. When we got back to the class, I was practicing at my desk with some candy (Lemonheads, if I recall correctly), and looked up to find the whole class watching. Funny, I was just talking about that teacher last night - she'd traveled the world before becoming an elementary school teacher, she'd taught in Guam for a year. I had her two consecutive years, she was a great teacher.

I taught one of the Gold Coast dancers how to use them, I'd gotten there early and he had brought Chinese food before the dancing started.

I can't use chopsticks.

I can't ride a bike.

I can't swim.

I can't multiply by fractions.

I can't speak another language.

All of these can be LEARNED, proven by the fact that billions of people do.

If you say you can't, is it because you're lazy or unwilling?

(I'm not accusing anyone of either, but ask yourself the question).

(You can got away with using them as a shovel to push food into your mouth

Yup, that's me. Only way I can use them :(

and I took swimming lessons at the Y every summer from 10 to 14 and never learned even though I learned all the basics. But I was around dozens of the most beautiful bodies, butts and dicks ever. Getting erections at 14 is probably why they wouldn't let me back at 15.

I can't use chopsticks.

I can't ride a bike.

I can't swim.

I can't multiply by fractions.

I can't speak another language.

All of these can be LEARNED, proven by the fact that billions of people do.

If you say you can't, is it because you're lazy or unwilling?

(I'm not accusing anyone of either, but ask yourself the question).

I cannot use chopsticks. However I am so uncoordinated that I choose to master (or at least try) other things that required one skill or other. Like spell.

I used to be pretty adept with them, but as a result of breaking my right arm 3 separate times as a kid, the range of motion in my right shoulder, elbow and wrist has deteriorated to the point that a couple of years ago, I gave up on chopsticks. When I wear a dress shirt, I leave the buttons to my partner.