Can You Use Chop Sticks?

Avalon
This topic is 2217 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned to use chopsticks in college and am pretty good, but never have been complimented by any asians on my skill. I have had to explicitly ask for them at some chinese eateries (including the Panda express on campus, recently).

(I can also ride a bike, swim, multiply and add fractions, and speak french and german well enough to flirt and get myself in trouble, but not really carry on a profound conversation. But I'll bet @Bucky 's income is significantly large than mine and he likely has more fun in his life ... I also believe in the use of the oxford comma)

I learned to use chopsticks in college and am pretty good, but never have been complimented by any asians on my skill. I have had to explicitly ask for them at some chinese eateries (including the Panda express on campus, recently).

(I can also ride a bike, swim, multiply and add fractions, and speak french and german well enough to flirt and get myself in trouble, but not really carry on a profound conversation. But I'll bet @Bucky 's income is significantly large than mine and he likely has more fun in his life ... I also believe in the use of the oxford comma)

Not familiar with the term Oxford comma

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/what-is-the-oxford-comma-and-why-do-people-care-so-much-about-it/

Bravo to you for making mention of the Oxford comma!!

I know how to use them and use them well. Once I went to a Vietnamese restaurant in Reno and they brought me a fork. I was kind of insulted. I had to ask for chopsticks.

Hugs,

Greg

If you are in a Thai restaurant (or in Thailand), keep in mind that Thai people generally do not use chopsticks ... they eat using the fork and spoon method... the one notable exception being for noodle dishes, particularly noodles in soup.

An interesting and possibly useful factoid.

My bf is Vietnamese. We live in Bangkok and as you say, chopsticks aren’t used as often as you would think.

I have never been able to master them and my friends will sometimes take my silverware away and watch me make a mess of things. When we go to Hanoi, the service people just assume Westerners need forks and make sure you have them.

My bf is Vietnamese. We live in Bangkok and as you say, chopsticks aren’t used as often as you would think.

I have never been able to master them and my friends will sometimes take my silverware away and watch me make a mess of things. When we go to Hanoi, the service people just assume Westerners need forks and make sure you have them.

They’re not routinely used in Thailand which is why you have this impression. If you lived in Japan or China you would have a different viewpoint.

https://brooklynbrainery.com/blog/the-scoop-on-chopsticks-in-thai-food

I can use chopsticks. I remember on a trip to Japan, I was with a local friend at a restaurant. I was using chopsticks and he was using a fork and knife. The waitstaff was a little confused. lol I usually prefer utensils but I must use chopsticks with sushi. I'll use my hands before using a fork if I don't have chopsticks.

I can use chopsticks. I remember on a trip to Japan, I was with a local friend at a restaurant. I was using chopsticks and he was using a fork and knife. The waitstaff was a little confused. lol I usually prefer utensils but I must use chopsticks with sushi. I'll use my hands before using a fork if I don't have chopsticks.

Actually it’s perfectly acceptable to eat nigiri with your hands. It makes it much easier to dab the fish with soy sauce (if the itamae has not pre-sauced the neta). Never dunk the rice in the soy. Sashimi is always eaten with chopsticks.

Actually it’s perfectly acceptable to eat nigiri with your hands. It makes it much easier to dab the fish with soy sauce (if the itamae has not pre-sauced the neta). Never dunk the rice in the soy. Sashimi is always eaten with chopsticks.

As I don’t really like seafood, you might as well be speaking Martian to me.

Gman

When I was a child our neighbors on one side were Japanese/American. I used to toddle over to Mrs. Nakashima's and she would feed me. She taught me to use chop sticks. Our neighbors on the other side were Mexican/American. When I wasn't being fed at Mrs. Nakashima's I could usually be found eating at Mrs. Garcia's. These two wonderful ladies were my surrogate grandmothers. To this day I frequently joke that as a child I grew up eating tacos and enchiladas with chop sticks - definitely not true. It is true, however, that to this day I am extremely happy eating Japanese and Mexican food.

When I was a child our neighbors on one side were Japanese/American. I used to toddle over to Mrs. Nakashima's and she would feed me. She taught me to use chop sticks. Our neighbors on the other side were Mexican/American. When I wasn't being fed at Mrs. Nakashima's I could usually be found eating at Mrs. Garcia's. These two wonderful ladies were my surrogate grandmothers. To this day I frequently joke that as a child I grew up eating tacos and enchiladas with chop sticks - definitely not true. It is true, however, that to this day I am extremely happy eating Japanese and Mexican food.

What "ethnic" food do we white Americans have? Hot dogs, hamburgers and apple pie. If not for immigrants life would be blah!

Please don’t knock hot dogs, hamburgers, and apple pies. I love there. They are delish!!

Gman

I agree.

But now days when people in other countries see the US rather than the Statue of Liberty they see "the Golden Arches".

Edited by Avalon

What about fried chicken or roast turkey?

Fried chicken with waffles.

Fried chicken probably qualifies but roast turkey is just roast meat.

Here in the US turkey is a must for our Thanksgiving Day holiday.