What's your favorite fast food?

samhexum

There are no white castles within reasonable distance of where I live. A couple of years ago, I was in Chicago and discovered that they had sloppy Joe sliders. I was in seventh heaven! Apparently it was just for a short time, and it’s not on their online menu

They often introduce "limited time only" specials..... They had sweet potatoe fries for awhile that were awesome, but they fell by the wayside.

I have a new old fave. Jersey Mike's subs. Grew up in upstate NY and 50ish years ago there was a Mike's Subs, which we loved and went to as a family often usually on weekends. Fast forward 50 years and Jersey Mike's is a national chain. I only tried Jersey Mike's for the first time about 6 months ago, and said "hey, that's just like Mike's". Checked their website and yep, it's the same ppl. Their quality really is a few notches above Quiznos and Subway. They have whole wheat sub rolls and some organic meat options available, if that's important to you.

went to a Jersey Mike's here in bumfuck desert country and jokingly said "whiz wit" for my cheesesteak.......blank stare back.......the nearby manager had to explain to the teeny-bopper chick what it meant.....

does anybody remember a midwestern (Iowa, in particular)) sandwich called a "loose meat sandwich" or a "Maid-Rite"?........sort of a sloppy-joe consistency of chopped up hamburger, but not at all tomato-y like sloppy joes....rather an incredibly tasty combo of pickle, onion, and mustard or similar mixed in with the finely-chopped hamburger......a wet steamed bun completed the concoction......in my Mother's native Wichita, Nu-Way was the classic place for this legendary sandwich.....

http://maid-rite.com/menu.php

http://www.nuwayburgers.com/

Edited by azdr0710

I have a new old fave. Jersey Mike's subs.

I'd love to try them, but the only one in NYC is in Yankee Stadium, and I have never been to the new stadium because it's so hard for me to get around.

went to a Jersey Mike's here in bumfuck desert country and jokingly said "whiz wit" for my cheesesteak.......blank stare back.......the nearby manager had to explain to the teeny-bopper chick what it meant.....

I'd have had the same reaction.

When I was a young'n we were on a family vacation in Virginia and I went into a Dairy Queen and asked for a frank. One worker said something to another about not having heard it called that in a long time (they were called hot dogs on the menu board), which I thought was funny since hot dog is just a slang term and frank is just a shortening of the actual word frankfurter.

does anybody remember a midwestern sandwich called a "loose meat sandwich"?

Umm... Anyone who watched ROSEANNE does.

Edited by samhexum

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

And remember the old Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell? That was the best of real chain  fast food. 

that reminded me of the "enchirito" at Taco Bell......wow, was that good......from Google:

The Enchirito

The beloved Enchirito was inexplicably removed from Taco Bell's regular menu in 2013. But, don't worry, you can still order this fan favorite enchilada and burrito mash-up. Most employees will understand exactly what you mean, but just in case, ask for an enchilada stuffed with beans, beef, and cheese.

Taco_Bell_Enchirito_2018.jpg

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

My favorite is Sonic followed by Bojangles.  If I’ve had way to much to drink and I want drunk food, I’d punish myself with White Castle. All of which are hard to come by actually near me. 

At least there are some Sonic drive-ins and Bojangles less than 20 miles away (mostly in MD). Field trip! Lol

2 hours ago, tassojunior said:

anything this Starbucks sells:

Just a bit of a gripe about Starbucks (which I do like a lot) and other coffee chains - how come they never have decaf "on tap?" Is it really that unpopular? I've always been a big coffee person, and in my line of work, I find I always want that mug of coffee while I'm teaching a class, or running a rehearsal, or doing a performance. But over the last year or so, I've decided to severely limit my caffeine, for health reasons. I'm fine with decaf. But to get it at a place like Starbucks, you either have to wait for a special pour-over, or wait for a decaf Americano - you can't just get a simple quick decaf. Which makes that de facto Starbucks run before a gig just a little more of a hassle. 

I used to have a coffeemaker in my office at school - but got rid of it because I almost never used it. I'm thinking about buying a new one this week. At least then I can make my decaf on my own time...

1 minute ago, bostonman said:

Just a bit of a gripe about Starbucks (which I do like a lot) and other coffee chains - how come they never have decaf "on tap?" Is it really that unpopular? I've always been a big coffee person, and in my line of work, I find I always want that mug of coffee while I'm teaching a class, or running a rehearsal, or doing a performance. But over the last year or so, I've decided to severely limit my caffeine, for health reasons. I'm fine with decaf. But to get it at a place like Starbucks, you either have to wait for a special pour-over, or wait for a decaf Americano - you can't just get a simple quick decaf. Which makes that de facto Starbucks run before a gig just a little more of a hassle. 

I used to have a coffeemaker in my office at school - but got rid of it because I almost never used it. I'm thinking about buying a new one this week. At least then I can make my decaf on my own time...

i would eat used coffee grounds by the spoonful just to watch that barista move around. 

3 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

i would eat used coffee grounds by the spoonful just to watch that barista move around. 

There's a great (though overdone) cabaret song called "Taylor, The Latte Boy" where this girl has a severe puppy dog crush on her barista. Sometimes I find myself humming that song while I'm in Starbucks - there are indeed often some cuties behind the counter...:p

Edited by bostonman

• 1 month later...

Christian mom group livid over swear words in Burger King’s new meals

Burger King recently rolled out a new marketing campaign where the target audience was depressed teens.

An apparent play on the McDonald’s “Happy Meal,” the campaign includes colored “Real Meal” boxes with names like “Salty Meal,” as well as “Yaaaas Meal,” along with “P*ssed Meal,” and “DGAF Meal.”

“No one is ‘Happy’ all the time,” Burger King said in a press release.”

“Burger King is mocking McDonald’s Happy Meals with a little competition. Yesterday, Burger King announced new meal boxes that “let you choose how you feel.”

“Dubbed as “Real Meals,” customers will be able to order Whopper-based meal boxes in a variety of different moods, but “happy” isn’t one of them.”

spacer.png

spacer.png

And now — a group of concerned Christian mothers by the name of One Million Moms — has raised an alarm about the campaign.

Currently, the campaign has over 5,000 signatures with moms describing the boxes as ” a marketing disaster,” citing their “crude language,” and urged Burger King to remove both the “p*ssed” and “DGAF” boxes immediately.

The campaign states on their website:

“Though the Real Meals are Whopper-based meals, the boxes are replicas of Happy Meal boxes and will, therefore, attract children. No matter the target market, this campaign is a marketing disaster.”

“Similar to the Angry Whopper, Real Meals are available only at select restaurants while supplies last. Even if your local Burger King is not participating at this time, your voice needs to be heard so this vulgar marketing will be stopped and not added at additional locations.”

“Burger King’s #FEELYOURWAY campaign is irresponsible and offensive to customers. Burger King needs to know parents do not approve!”

The group then urged others to sign the petition, stating:

“If you agree that this marketing campaign is inappropriate, please sign our petition urging Burger King to remove the boxed meals “P*ssed” and “DGAF” from their menu immediately. Let them hear from you even if your local Burger King is not participating at this time. This is a nationwide petition. Also, encourage Burger King to be more responsible in future marketing campaigns. If Burger King wants our business, it must stop using crude language.”

If choosing to sign the petition, the pre-typed message reads:

“I find Burger King’s #FEELYOURWAY campaign to be in poor taste. Everyone knows children repeat what they hear. Burger King using crude language to sell burgers is irresponsible. One Million Moms is particularly offended by the two boxed meals “P*ssed” and “DGAF.” Offensive ads cause customers to lose respect for a company, and complaints should not be taken lightly. I urge Burger King to put a stop to inappropriate marketing campaigns and remove the boxed meals “P*ssed” and “DGAF” from your menu immediately. I will not patronize your restaurants as long as you use vulgar language to market your products.”

spacer.png