What's your favorite fast food?

samhexum

Pizza Hut rolls out a new stuffed crust — minus the pizza

Pizza Hut is doubling down on one of its classic innovations as the pandemic-era pizza wars rage.

In a nod to the 25th anniversary of stuffed crust's debut, Pizza Hut is offering a pizza-less ring of cheese-stuffed dough.

The name? "Nothing But Stuffed Crust," of course.

The cheesy promotion — which comes just weeks after rival Papa John's rolled out its own stuffed crust pizza — is limited to participating locations in Dallas and Los Angeles this Tuesday through Thursday. The company says Nothing But Stuffed Crust is free each day for the first 50 customers who make a $10 purchase at each location. Customers can also buy a three-topping stuffed crust pizza for $11.99 for a limited time at participating restaurants.

"Many have tried to recreate it, but there's still only ONE original stuffed crust pizza," Pizza Hut said in a statement.

Competition among big chains has been fierce during the coronavirus pandemic, which has fueled a surge in pizza demand from Americans who are spending more time at home and avoiding dine-in restaurants. Papa John's, Domino's (DMPZF) and Pizza Hut began hiring thousands of new employees in the spring.

On October 29, Pizza Hut's parent company Yum! Brands (YUM) reported the chain's offsite sales had surged 17%-21% during the third quarter of 2020. Pizza Hut also opened 148 new restaurants in 32 countries during the same time frame, according to financial records.

Yum! CEO David Gibbs says the fast food conglomerate's year-over-year digital sales set a single quarter record of $4 billion between July and September.

A couple of weeks ago, I felt I had to try out the Impossible Whopper. At $6.50, it was more expensive than the Whopper proper, and I could have had two grilled chicken sandwiches for $6. The taste was OK, but I would have preferred a Whopper... Since there wouldn't be any cost in animal raising, I'm not sure why it's so expensive. I'm happy to have tried it, and everyone at BK seemed to be trying it that day, but next time I think I'll just get the grilled chicken.

The Impossible Whopper should soon be getting more affordable:

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/plant-based-meat.162012/page-2#post-2041832

• 3 weeks later...

McDonald’s customer calls cops after missing breakfast menu

A woman in the UK called the cops after she arrived at a McDonald’s drive-thru window — and found the restaurant had stopped serving breakfast, according to local authorities.

The breakfast-loving Brit was so incensed about having to order off the lunch menu, instead of having her choice of bacon and hash browns, she demanded officers pursue legal action, according to a tweet from the Mid Sussex Neighborhood Police.

Inspector Darren Taylor wrote that his department received “a call at 11:30 this morning from an angry lady who stated that due to the queue at the McDonalds drive-thru in EG, by the time she got to the window the breakfast service had stopped and she couldn’t order a breakfast.”

The post concludes with the inspector writing, “The lady was given words of advice about ringing the Police.”

McDonald’s in the United Kingdom do not serve all-day breakfast, according to the chain’s website.

Restaurants in the US rolled out day-breakfast in 2015 as part of a sales initiative, but that extension was reversed last year as the coronavirus pandemic upended operations in the states.

The Manhattan McDonald’s where Adam Sandler’s character was famously refused breakfast in the 1999 comedy “Big Daddy,” was forced to close earlier this month due to the pandemic.

McDonald’s customer calls cops after missing breakfast menu

A woman in the UK called the cops after she arrived at a McDonald’s drive-thru window — and found the restaurant had stopped serving breakfast, according to local authorities.

The breakfast-loving Brit was so incensed about having to order off the lunch menu, instead of having her choice of bacon and hash browns, she demanded officers pursue legal action, according to a tweet from the Mid Sussex Neighborhood Police.

Inspector Darren Taylor wrote that his department received “a call at 11:30 this morning from an angry lady who stated that due to the queue at the McDonalds drive-thru in EG, by the time she got to the window the breakfast service had stopped and she couldn’t order a breakfast.”

The post concludes with the inspector writing, “The lady was given words of advice about ringing the Police.”

McDonald’s in the United Kingdom do not serve all-day breakfast, according to the chain’s website.

Restaurants in the US rolled out day-breakfast in 2015 as part of a sales initiative, but that extension was reversed last year as the coronavirus pandemic upended operations in the states.

The Manhattan McDonald’s where Adam Sandler’s character was famously refused breakfast in the 1999 comedy “Big Daddy,” was forced to close earlier this month due to the pandemic.

As a foodie, I understand and empathize with her having set her mood for a particular meal and then being disappointed, but she needs to slow her roll (not the McDonald's breakfast roll). ?

As a foodie, I understand and empathize with her having set her mood for a particular meal and then being disappointed, but she needs to slow her roll (not the McDonald's breakfast roll). ?

Perhaps she should have asked the others no doubt in the queue when the next Capitol get-together is scheduled for.

Perhaps she should have asked the others no doubt in the queue when the next Capitol get-together is scheduled for.

Don’t mess with his happy meal.

A New Mexico man was caught on video pointing a gun at a McDonald’s employee for getting his order wrong.

Estevan Gonzalez pulled up at a McDonald’s drive-thru window in Albuquerque on Jan. 7 to complain that his burger didn’t have cheese, KRQE reported.

Gonzalez left and came back to the drive-thru — still unsatisfied — about 10 minutes later.

The 25-year-old man then can be seen on surveillance footage arguing with an employee before whipping out a gun and pointing it at the employee.

The employee then calls the police, which sent a chopper to the restaurant where it recorded Gonzalez at the window.

The unhappy customer then drives away as he was being chased by the chopper. Cops eventually caught up to him at a nearby neighborhood and arrested him, according to KRQE.

Gonzalez has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and was released from jail as he awaits trial.

Anything on Culver’s menu. I just learned there’s one in San Antonio which is only 150 miles (about 3 hours) away.

W/R/T Panda Express I find it may be fresh but it’s far from authentic. My asian partner of many decades is an excellent cook. The thought of Panda Express appalls him. Same with P F Chang’s. Me? I LOVE Panda Express’s Shrimp with walnuts but the partner gets upset when he discovers I’ve snuck out for some.

Baja Fresh burrito served "enchilado style."

There are fewer and fewer Baja Fresh locations around anymore, so I'm excited when I come across one. There's one in Palo Alto next to my favorite Korean spa, so visiting both for me is an indulgence.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh God... honey, I love all of it. haha :p McDonalds, BK, DK, Wendy's, Arby's, Orange Julius, Sheetz, Auntie Anne's, Nathan's, A&W, Cici's Pizza, Pizza Hut, Boston Market, Panera Bread.... it's all wonderful

I already love Wendy's with its Dave's Double and dipping my fries into their chocolate frosty, but didn't realize their amazingness at roasting other companies as well - apparently they have been celebrating a made-up 'National Roast Day' and not really spared anybody -

https://nypost.com/2021/02/12/wendys-spares-no-one-on-nationalroastday-even-armie-hammer/

Burger King unveils plans for a new chicken sandwich; pay up to try McDonald's sandwich early or a chicken hoodie

The Chicken Sandwich War of 2021 continues to heat up.

Before McDonald's officially releases three new chicken sandwiches on Feb. 24 – including the Spicy Chicken Sandwich with a spicy pepper sauce – it is offering a way to get an early taste. Burger King also unveiled Wednesday that it has its own poultry plan.

Starting at noon EST Thursday, McDonald's is giving early access through the website CHKNDrop.com. McDonald's says it costs $5 to "lock in your drop" and it will also sell a limited-edition capsule including a chicken sandwich hoodie, while supplies last.

“We’re excited to give fans early access to this sandwich and exclusive swag they can’t get anywhere else to memorialize this great addition to our menu," David Tovar, the fast-food chain's vice president of U.S. Communications, said in a news release.

McDonald's also will have the Crispy Chicken Sandwich with pickles on a toasted, buttered potato roll and a Deluxe Chicken Sandwich, which includes shredded lettuce, Roma tomatoes and mayonnaise.

The last major chicken sandwich war was in August 2019 after Popeyes launched its New Orleans-style fried chicken sandwich. The chain then started a viral Twitter feud with Chick-fil-A and other restaurants.

Restaurants have been heating up the chicken competition with new spicy products.

Chick-fil-A debuted a new Grilled Spicy Chicken Deluxe Sandwich at restaurants nationwide on Jan. 22. Boston Market also has a new Nashville Hot Crispy Chicken Sandwich, its first crispy chicken sandwich. In early February, McDonald's brought back its Spicy Chicken McNuggets for a limited time.

Burger King announced Wednesday it will introduce a new hand-breaded chicken sandwich later this year that it promises "will be worth the wait."

The Miami-based chain said it has been working on the sandwich since 2019 and started testing it in September 2020 in markets including Miami; Huntsville, Alabama; and Phoenix.

It will be available in original or spicy and served on a toasty potato bun with deli pickles and a signature sauce.

“What if hand-breading were to chicken what flame-grilling is to burgers? That’s been our guiding filter to bring a delicious chicken sandwich to guests in a way only BK can,” Ellie Doty, chief marketing officer, Burger King North America, said in a news release. “We’ll take the time to get it right and our guests will definitely taste the difference.”

• 2 weeks later...

Step aside chicken sandwich wars: Fish sandwiches are the latest weapon in a heavyweight battle among fast food chains.

For a limited time, Arby's will sell a Crispy Fish Sandwich, which retails for $2.99 and King’s Hawaiian Fish Deluxe with a retail price of $3.99. The sandwich will be available from now until March 29th.

During this weekend's Saturday Night Live episode, Arby's unveiled a cheeky ad designed in part to tweak competitors like McDonald's and Popeye's, which earlier this month added a Cajun Flounder Sandwich as a follow-up to wildly successful chicken sandwich. In addition to Wendy's recently debuted a Crispy Panko Fish Sandwich, replacing its traditional cod version.

Normally known for its beef sandwiches, Arby's announced that consumers "who have ever settled for a disappointing fast-food fish sandwich" now have an opportunity to try their limited-edition fish sandwiches — for free. Consumers can head to the website ArbysFishCheck.com to claim a check, each for $3.79, which is the average menu price of quick-service-restaurant fish sandwiches — but only "while the vault’s still open." For those not lucky enough to score a check, Arby's is also offering a grand check prize of $379 until March 12th.

“For anyone who has had second thoughts about eating a square-fish sandwich, it’s time for a fish ‘do-over,’ Arby’s chief marketing officer Patrick Schwing told Yahoo Finance — taking a pointed swipe at the Golden Arches' Filet-O-Fish, a perennial menu favorite.

"That’s why we’re mailing out thousands of checks to try an Arby’s Crispy Fish Sandwich, as our fish sandwiches featuring wild-caught Alaskan Pollock continue to be one of our guests’ favorite seasonal menu offerings," Schwing added.