What's your favorite fast food?

samhexum

It's because the risk from E. coli is much lower than it was thought a number of years ago and most fast food places and even some sit downs have never caught up.

I eat steak tartare at any "high class" restaurant I may go to without worry. in fact, there are a few restaurants known for their steak tartare.

Now, Caesar Salad - I always ask to make sure there is no raw egg and most restaurants make it eggless nowadays anyway.

Do you take your steak tartare without the raw egg? Riviera at the Fireside always did the yolk, before they closed up with lease/rent/landlord issues :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

I forget where we were, but the menu had Venison tartare. My roommate pronounced it Fabulous!

Most larger restaurant chains won’t go below medium nowadays,...too much E. coli liabilty risk, customer’s preference really can’t override this. Some coffee shop casual dining places still will.

I eat steak medium rare, or even less cooked. But hamburgers never bother me cooked medium. Ask me why eating steak tartare (in a proper restaurant) poses no/little E. coli risk...

If a restaurant won't go below medium, that says something about the quality of the meat they are serving you. I tend to avoid fast food chains, especially after reading Fast Food Nation. otoh, that book was very complimentary towards In-n-Out.

It's because the risk from E. coli is much lower than it was thought a number of years ago and most fast food places and even some sit downs have never caught up.

I eat steak tartare at any "high class" restaurant I may go to without worry. in fact, there are a few restaurants known for their steak tartare.

Now, Caesar Salad - I always ask to make sure there is no raw egg and most restaurants make it eggless nowadays anyway.

if you make the dressing at home, you can use a tablespoon of good mayo in place of the egg. you can also pasteurize your own store bought eggs but placing them in boiling water for 3 minutes then separate the egg into the yolk and the white.

if you make the dressing at home, you can use a tablespoon of good mayo in place of the egg. you can also pasteurize your own store bought eggs but placing them in boiling water for 3 minutes then separate the egg into the yolk and the white.

Thanks - the mayo is a great idea. Too much bother to do the egg.

There hasn't been a major outbreak of salmonella attributed to raw eggs in the U.S. since 2010. Even then there were only about 2,000 cases recorded nationally.

I ALWAYS use raw eggs when I make Caesar dressing. I make a point of telling any guest who I might be serving of that fact and thus they have the choice of eating the salad or not.

If a restaurant won't go below medium, that says something about the quality of the meat they are serving you. I tend to avoid fast food chains, especially after reading Fast Food Nation. otoh, that book was very complimentary towards In-n-Out.

Are you in the hospitality business? Or perhaps an insurance underwriter for restaurants? Because your comment above is not a fact.

• 2 weeks later...

Carl's Jr. says it will make its New York City debut at the end of the month.

The franchise said Tuesday that it will open a restaurant across the street from Penn Station. WNBC-TV reports the chain also opened a Coney Island location Tuesday.

The chain currently has over 1,300 restaurants, but fewer than 10 of them are located east of Oklahoma.

A rendering of the new restaurant shows a sign that is more than twice the size of a McDonald's restaurant that is next door.

Carl's Jr. says it will make its New York City debut at the end of the month.

The franchise said Tuesday that it will open a restaurant across the street from Penn Station. WNBC-TV reports the chain also opened a Coney Island location Tuesday.

The chain currently has over 1,300 restaurants, but fewer than 10 of them are located east of Oklahoma.

A rendering of the new restaurant shows a sign that is more than twice the size of a McDonald's restaurant that is next door.

True enough but remember CKE owns Carl’s 1300 units, but also Hardee’s with about 1900+ locations, a significant portion to the East and South

• 2 weeks later...

Live fast food, die young.

A little fire wasn't going to chase off the Fire Sauce-loving Taco Bell fans of Montgomery, Ala., as over 100 people showed up to honor the supremely burned out remains of the former supreme burrito dispensary.

In the wake of a mysterious early morning blaze that destroyed the Taco Bell Wednesday, Jan. 17, a Facebook proposal for a vigil was created and the response was Nachos Bellgrande.

Together, Bell buffs gathered Sunday night in the shadow of the crumbling establishment and neighboring Arby's parking lot to offer their deepest Cheesy Gordita condolences.

Attendees showed up with paper cups turned into makeshift candleholders and some even came dressed as angels to properly help shuffle the fast-food establishment off this Crunchwrap coil.

"I've had a lot of memories created at Taco Bell," said recent Alabama State grad Ashley Nicole Portis, one of the radiantly dressed mourners, told theMontgomery Advertiser.

"I was a theater major and we had long, long rehearsal nights. It was extremely taxing, and you don't always have time to eat. You miss the cafeteria, it closes early. In Montgomery, everything else closes early."

At one point during the festivities, a Taco Bell taco kit was blindly tossed into the crowd off the back of a pickup truck.

Said organizer Katie James, "It just gave people something to talk about other than all the negativity that's going on right now."

I stopped going to In-n-out because the one near me refuses to serve anything less than well done. Tastes like sawdust.

There are 2 Shake Shacks nearish me - 1 does rare to medium rare, the other does medium well to well only! 'Splain that one!

Many years ago there were two fish and chip franchises in Southern California. One was named Long John Silver's and, to save my life, I can't remember the name of the other one. Both are now out of business at least in my area. I enjoyed them both but preferred to one whose name I can't remember. I love fish and chips but can currently find only in walk-in restaurants.

Many years ago there were two fish and chip franchises in Southern California. One was named Long John Silver's and, to save my life, I can't remember the name of the other one. Both are now out of business at least in my area. I enjoyed them both but preferred to one whose name I can't remember. I love fish and chips but can currently find only in walk-in restaurants.

H. Salt’s Fish & Chips

I stopped going to In-n-out because the one near me refuses to serve anything less than well done. Tastes like sawdust.

There are 2 Shake Shacks nearish me - 1 does rare to medium rare, the other does medium well to well only! 'Splain that one!

Meat shouldnt be PINK. (not the meat I'm consuming anyway) ..... Gotta be WELL done for me. My partner used to say "just bring it to him Cremated"......:confused:

I also think Shake Shack is overrated....It's good, but not hysteria inducing like people make it out to be....

Meat shouldnt be PINK. (not the meat I'm consuming anyway) ..... Gotta be WELL done for me. My partner used to say "just bring it to him Cremated"......:confused:

I also think Shake Shack is overrated....It's good, but not hysteria inducing like people make it out to be....

Agree about Shake Shack but meat - rare and juicy!

Many years ago there were two fish and chip franchises in Southern California. One was named Long John Silver's and, to save my life, I can't remember the name of the other one.

You mean it wasn't Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips? (which I think merged with Long john Silver's)