What's your favorite fast food?

samhexum

I miss In-N-Out in SoCal

I'm sure BVB and other SoCal people know this, but for visitors to the LAX area who also like planespotting and want to try a classic In N Out burger, head to the very popular one on Sepulveda immediately north of the field. Park a couple blocks north behind the Trader Joe's or at the Ralph's on the west side of Sepulveda, then walk over to avoid the perennial traffic jam at the In N Out itself. Order a double-double animal-style and head over to the small, grassy park across the street and watch the planes land immediately overhead. Hope for an A-380!

One of my hugely favorite things to do when in LA!!

I'm sure BVB and other SoCal people know this, but for visitors to the LAX area who also like planespotting and want to try a classic In N Out burger, head to the very popular one on Sepulveda immediately north of the field. Park a couple blocks north behind the Trader Joe's or at the Ralph's on the west side of Sepulveda, then walk over to avoid the perennial traffic jam at the In N Out itself. Order a double-double animal-style and head over to the small, grassy park across the street and watch the planes land immediately overhead. Hope for an A-380!

One of my hugely favorite things to do when in LA!!

Classic plan all the way around

What-A-Burger!!

They didn't have these in my area when I was growing up (and still don't, as far as I know). But when I went to Europe on a school trip in my senior year in high school (spring 1982) I saw at least one of these in Paris. Not sure if it was the same chain (at the time I had never heard of it anyway), but did think it was funny to see this on a Parisian street.

Growing up in Brooklyn there was a Dairy Queen in the neighborhood and it was awesome but when we moved out to Long Island all we had was Carvel which is not so bad either.

And they both did the cones with the dipped chocolate sauce that hardened, yes? (Sort of like the "Magic Shell" stuff you can buy today, but better, as I remember it.)

I spent a summer out in the boonies of central Massachusetts doing mediocre summerstock lol, and the only places to eat within reasonable walking distance were a Dairy Queen and a small sub shop. At first the Dairy Queen was kinda fun, but the food quickly became boring and unsatisfying day after day. That's when I started bringing lunch...

(Though really, any food can get too routine, so this is not really a knock on Dairy Queen. Except that a DQ burger every day for lunch is certainly not healthy eating lol.)

And they both did the cones with the dipped chocolate sauce that hardened, yes? (Sort of like the "Magic Shell" stuff you can buy today, but better, as I remember it.)

I spent a summer out in the boonies of central Massachusetts doing mediocre summerstock lol, and the only places to eat within reasonable walking distance were a Dairy Queen and a small sub shop. At first the Dairy Queen was kinda fun, but the food quickly became boring and unsatisfying day after day. That's when I started bringing lunch...

(Though really, any food can get too routine, so this is not really a knock on Dairy Queen. Except that a DQ burger every day for lunch is certainly not healthy eating lol.)

While I have often been referred to as "The Dairy Queen" here in NYC I often enjoyed Carvel, which was also soft-serve ice cream, but would usually get the Flying Saucer, which was soft serve frozen between 2 Chocolate wafer cookies.

While I have often been referred to as "The Dairy Queen" here in NYC I often enjoyed Carvel, which was also soft-serve ice cream, but would usually get the Flying Saucer, which was soft serve frozen between 2 Chocolate wafer cookies.

I think as far as ice cream chains go, I enjoyed Baskin Robbins best as a kid. But, there was a Friendly's that was much closer to where I lived, and I spent way too much time there too lol.

When I moved to Boston for college, I discovered Steve's Ice Cream (and the even better Herrell's in Harvard Square, owned by the same guy) - but I think they're all gone now. J.P. Licks is still around...I also liked Cold Stone, but they've faded away too.

I think as far as ice cream chains go, I enjoyed Baskin Robbins best as a kid. But, there was a Friendly's that was much closer to where I lived, and I spent way too much time there too lol.

When I moved to Boston for college, I discovered Steve's Ice Cream (and the even better Herrell's in Harvard Square, owned by the same guy) - but I think they're all gone now. J.P. Licks is still around...I also liked Cold Stone, but they've faded away too.

As a kid (I cant believe I will say this) I enjoyed Mr Softee best. I waiting anxiously to hear the jingly music playing as the truck neared and would get money from my mom to buy a soft-serve cone. My how times change... Now it only has to be Mr HARD-ee for mw. . But the simple pleasure of getting rainbow sprinkles on my cone brings back fond memories....

As a kid (I cant believe I will say this) I enjoyed Mr Softee best. I waiting anxiously to hear the jingly music playing as the truck neared and would get money from my mom to buy a soft-serve cone.

I don't remember "Mr. Softee" specifically in our neighborhood, but we did get the Good Humor truck. And they had that wonderful ice cream bar that had a hard chocolate candy center...that was to die for lol. (I think at one point they had a version of those that they sold in supermarkets, but it definitely wasn't the same.)

I guess those were the first real "food trucks" lol. Plus ca change...(Except of course with today's food trucks, they park somewhere and you go to them, instead of them roving the neighborhoods.)

I don't remember "Mr. Softee" specifically in our neighborhood, but we did get the Good Humor truck. And they had that wonderful ice cream bar that had a hard chocolate candy center...that was to die for lol. (I think at one point they had a version of those that they sold in supermarkets, but it definitely wasn't the same.)

I guess those were the first real "food trucks" lol. Plus ca change...(Except of course with today's food trucks, they park somewhere and you go to them, instead of them roving the neighborhoods.)

Well now you are really going back a ways.... I remember the Good Humor man in his crisp white uniform, who looked like some sort of "knight in shining armour"... I loved the banana-cake pops. They sell Good Humor in my supermarket, but you are right, it's just not the Same.

Edited by jjkrkwood

I try to stay away from "fast food" facilities, but when my taste buds yearn for a special flavor or food, I wind up at N and Out Burgers just for a burger or two or at Jack N the Box. ...haven't been to either for over two months and possibly will not go in the near future. I've always watched what I eat but am much more conscious to date since I want to lose some pounds and keep off for the remainder of days--weeks--years!

Well now you are really going back a ways.... I remember the Good Humor man in his crisp white uniform, who looked like some sort of "knight in shining armour"... I loved the banana-cake pops. They seel Good Humor in my supermarket, but you are right, it's just not the Same.

And (at least in SoCal) the Helms Bakery truck came by and tooted their horn to come out and buy baked goods

Coulrophobes should steer clear of Burger King this Halloween.

The burger chain expecting lots and lots of clowns next week. The chain announced today in a video release that they will be offering free Whoppers to anyone dressed up like a clown for their Scary Clown Night. They also took some time in the video to make a few digs at one clown in particular.

According to Burger King’s press release, “clowns are the third most sought after Halloween costume of 2017,” which prompted the brand to jump on the trend.

The video they released for Scary Clown Night starts with a kid biking through the streets at night when he is confronted by a clown bearing a striking likeness to McDonald’s iconic mascot Ronald McDonald. The advertisement continues with clowns of all shapes and make-up following the bike to Burger King.

The video then ends with the Ronald McDonald-like clown demanding a Whopper.

The Home of the Whopper takes another jab with the final tag line: come as a clown, eat like a king.

This comes after a Burger King in Germany used the two-hour showing of “It” as one epic commercial, and after a Russian Burger King tried to ban the viewing of the film on grounds that it gave free promotion to McDonald’s.

The fast food giant will be offering the deal to the first 500 guests that come into participating stores dressed as clowns between 7pm and 3am on October 31.

What-A-Burger!! It's big and round, always get a quarter pound. Pickles. Lettuce. Onions, too!! UMMMMM What-A-Burger, you'll love it too!!!!

Oh and their super greasy onion rings are a gift from God!! I’m a neo-Texan but have eaten enough What-A-Burgers to claim native standing. All I lack is a big belt buckle and the ability to swallow Dr Pepper (ugh!).

For soft serve ice cream I think Culver’s has the best. The rest of their offerings don’t do much for me though.

And don’t forget Tastee Freez!

Horse pucky!! I was tdy in central FL a year ago. There was a Culver’s across the road. I’d never been near one before. I became immediately addicted to their burgers and even their fish and chips. Wish there were one in Deep South Texas.

Hello. My name is Karl and I’m an addict. I’ve a 2 a day Starbucks habit - sometimes 3. Early morning pre workout oatmeal and coffee then a post workout coffee and breakfast usually one of their breakfast sandwiches or a bagel then sometimes a evening hot chocolate. Fortunately I’ve yet to find an appropriate support group to beat this habit.

I’m currently hiding out in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and would you believe they still have a bunch of Kenny Rogers outlets open here. It’s hard to believe when you consider that eating well is one the the greatest benefits of visiting MY. I’ve had the most wonderful meals at outdoor eateries that cost less than a Big Mac. Except at home I rarely eat indoors.

BTW On my road here in KL there’s a Starbucks within a quarter mile in either direction (see above).

McDonald’s is making changes to its menu and animal lovers are “Lovin’ It.”

In another major effort towards animal welfare, McDonald’s will sell humanely raised and slaughtered chickens by 2024, Newsweek reports.

The fast food chain’s new guidelines will require all chicken suppliers to give all birds access to perches and clean coops and be put to rest by peaceful suffocation, a process called “stunning” as opposed to live slaughter, the LA Times reported.

“We believe these new commitments provide the ability to drive and measure continuous improvement for the health and welfare of chickens,” Bruce Feinberg, a senior director at McDonald’s who oversees chicken, beef, pork, fish and dairy products, wrote on Medium on Friday.

Although the new standards will most-likely increase operating costs, McDonald’s will not be raising its prices for customers.

“While this might not be a direct impact on sales at McDonald‘s, it might help certain segments of our customer base make purchasing decisions that they might not have otherwise made,” Feinberg told Reuters.

Animal activists have commended McDonald’s for taking steps in the right direction, but say there is much more to be done.

“The giant fast-food retailer – a leader in phasing out gestation crates for pigs and cages for laying hens – sidestepped the other critical elements of a comprehensive chicken welfare program,” The Humane Society’s CEO, Wayne Pacelle wrote on his blog. “It failed to act on the most severe problem within its poultry supply chain, allowing its suppliers to use breeds of chickens that have chronic health problems; the birds are extremely obese and grow so rapidly that some of them have a hard time standing or walking.”

Micky D’s latest decision comes on the heels of the company’s introduction of a vegan sandwich option, which launched this month in Finland on a trial basis until mid-November, Fortune reported.

The vegan-friendly sandwich, dubbed the McVegan, is a meatless burger completely made of soy that comes with the same topping options as the beloved Big Mac.

I heard on the radio yesterday that Arby's is offering Venison sandwiches now. There's some objection from hunting groups (or so says my quick google search). I like Arby's (but stand by KFC as my favorite), especially their Jamocha shakes. Their new "Cookie Butter" shake is not so good.