What's your favorite fast food?

samhexum

• 4 months later...
Ate at chik-fil-a in Utah once, and wasn't impressed.

Chick-fil-A banned from San Antonio airport over alleged 'legacy of anti-LGBTQ behavior'

Breeders passing through San Antonio International Airport will be out of luck if they’re craving Chick-fil-A's crispy chicken or waffle fries, as the city council has banned the chicken-centric chain from opening up shop in the air hub due to the company’s alleged “legacy of anti-LGBTQ behavior.”

On Thursday, six members of the San Antonio City Council rejected the inclusion of Chick-fil-A from the new Food, Beverage and Retail Prime Concession Agreement for the airport, KTSA reports. The seven-year contract for concession management at the terminal is expected to create $2.1 million in revenue for the Texas city; the motion that passed gave the green light to food shops including Smoke Shack and Local Coffee.

“With this decision, the City Council reaffirmed the work our city has done to become a champion of equality and inclusion," Councilman Roberto Treviño said of the vote, as per News 4 San Antonio. "San Antonio is a city full of compassion, and we do not have room in our public facilities for a business with a legacy of anti-LGBTQ behavior."

"Everyone has a place here, and everyone should feel welcome when they walk through our airport," he continued.

The day before, Think Progress published tax documents revealing that in 2017, the Chick-fil-A Foundation gave over $1.8 million in charitable donations to some organizations that have come under scrutiny regarding their stance on LGBTQ issues.

Over $1.65 million of that contribution was given to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which writes in an online “Statement of Faith” that it believes “marriage is exclusively the union of one man and one woman,” and believes “sexual intimacy” should only be expressed “within [that] context,” CBS News reports.

A rep for Chick-fil-A, Inc. returned a request for comment on the San Antonio airport ban with the following statement:

“The press release issued by Councilmember Treviño was the first we heard of his motion and its approval by the San Antonio City Council. We agree with him that everyone is and should feel welcome at Chick-fil-A,” the rep said. “We have a fundamental code of conduct at Chick-fil-A: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

“The 140,000 people who serve customers in our restaurants on a daily basis represent and embrace all people, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity,” they continued. “Our intent is to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.”

“We would still welcome the opportunity to have a thoughtful dialogue with the city council and plan to reach out to them. It’s unfortunate that mischaracterizations of our brand have led to decisions like this,” the rep concluded. “The sole focus of the Chick-fil-A Foundation is to support causes focused on youth and education. We are proud of the positive impact we are making in communities across America and have been transparent about our giving on our web site.”

The news marks the second time in recent months that Chick-fil-A has been banned from launching a new location in a commercial hotspot due to the company’s supposed LGBTQ stance.

In November 2018, Rider University made headlines for turning down a student body survey that voted to bring Chick-fil-A to campus as a new fast-food option, citing concerns over the company’s attitudes toward the LGBTQ community.

The school said in a statement that the Chick-fil-A option was removed “based on the company's record widely perceived to be in opposition to the LGBTQ community." It admitted that the move could be perceived as a “form of exclusion,” but the institution wanted to remain “faithful to our values of inclusion.”

The chain pushed back against the university's characterization, saying the restaurant is merely providing food and doesn't have any agenda.

In early March, Cynthia Newman, the dean of the College of Business at Rider University, elected to resign from her position regarding the Chick-fil-A ban. Newman said she made the decision on the basis of her “very committed” Christian faith, detailing that she could not support the university’s choice to bar the chain "in good conscience.”

• 2 weeks later...
I swore off any fast food with a drive-thru in 1992. And I've stuck with it - I haven't had McDs, BK, Arbys, Wendy's, KFC, Popeyes, Long Johns, Taco Bell, White Castle, etc. in 25+ years.

Wow over 200 posts & this is the only mention of White Castle ( or maybe I missed others). I think their fries & shakes are really good. I love some of the "cute" nicknames I've heard over the years like "Murder-burgers" and "Rat-burgers"

this is the only mention of White Castle ( or maybe I missed others). I think their fries & shakes are really good. I love some of the "cute" nicknames I've heard over the years like "Murder-burgers" and "Rat-burgers"

The classics are Belly Bombers and Spit On A Bun. Their clam strips ain't bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed a very quick dinner at Tasty Burger the other night. I've been there before - I don't think they're all that good - but it's what was available.

I ordered a burger, and was of course asked how I wanted it cooked. But then literally before I could get another word out to finish my order, the cashier asked me something to the effect of "Is that all you want?" I paused, just a bit annoyed, and then continued to order the fries and shake I was going to ask for before I was (in my view) snapped at. But - that would have been enough - then she started the upsell.

"Any pie?"

"What?" (I didn't even realize they had pie, lol.)

"Would you like any pie?"

"No."

"How about some chicken wings. We have those now." She pointed to the ad for the wings right near the register.

"No," I said politely, but a little confused. I mean, I had just ordered dinner after all.

She then pointed to what I think was another flavor of wings, or something, still trying to get me to buy more. At this point, I have to admit I was very close to cancelling the order and walking away - but I needed some food and this was it. I uttered a rather emphatic "no" to this 2nd offer of the wings, with an implication of "are you fucking kidding me" in my tone.

I just want to know if she does this routine with every customer. The whole ordeal was very annoying. Can't I just fucking order what I want to?

I grabbed a very quick dinner at Tasty Burger the other night. I've been there before - I don't think they're all that good - but it's what was available.

I ordered a burger, and was of course asked how I wanted it cooked. But then literally before I could get another word out to finish my order, the cashier asked me something to the effect of "Is that all you want?" I paused, just a bit annoyed, and then continued to order the fries and shake I was going to ask for before I was (in my view) snapped at. But - that would have been enough - then she started the upsell.

"Any pie?"

"What?" (I didn't even realize they had pie, lol.)

"Would you like any pie?"

"No."

"How about some chicken wings. We have those now." She pointed to the ad for the wings right near the register.

"No," I said politely, but a little confused. I mean, I had just ordered dinner after all.

She then pointed to what I think was another flavor of wings, or something, still trying to get me to buy more. At this point, I have to admit I was very close to cancelling the order and walking away - but I needed some food and this was it. I uttered a rather emphatic "no" to this 2nd offer of the wings, with an implication of "are you fucking kidding me" in my tone.

I just want to know if she does this routine with every customer. The whole ordeal was very annoying. Can't I just fucking order what I want to?

“Upselling” or “Suggestive” selling is part of the food service employee’s job and trained and encouraged by management. Often there are even contests for cash or gift cards to someone who moves the most orders of wings or whatnot.

That said, "Is that all you want?" is NOT the right way to go about it, and sounds like your cashier/server was a bit robotic about it.

That said, "Is that all you want?" is NOT the right way to go about it, and sounds like your cashier/server was a bit robotic about it.

I actually should have been clear that that was a paraphrase - that may not have been her exact words - but that was the intention of whatever it was that she did say. What I found rude about it was that she literally cut me off with that question before I was able to finish the order.

The part about the upselling that got me was the wings. I already ordered a burger and fries - Why would I ALSO want wings? (The "pie" part I can forgive her. Though I generally don't get dessert at fast food places - but she certainly didn't know that.)

The "front service" is required to try upselling every customer- if she was secret-shopped before and failed to try the upsell, she would get at least a corrective discussion at end of the shift, or maybe a disciplinary write-up. A second failure to upsell caught by secret shopper or manager observation would likely be the end of employment, so don't blame the server for the policies of the establishment.

The "front service" is required to try upselling every customer- if she was secret-shopped before and failed to try the upsell, she would get at least a corrective discussion at end of the shift, or maybe a disciplinary write-up. A second failure to upsell caught by secret shopper or manager observation would likely be the end of employment, so don't blame the server for the policies of the establishment.

That very well could be - but then, why has that never happened to me before???

I used to stop regularly at McDonald's drive-through on the way to work every Wednesday morning & order the same breakfast order. It got so they knew me, had the extras ready (salt, pepper, knife & fork, butter) and had a name for me ("White Milk guy").

Folks at the local Sbux know me the same way: classic oatmeal filled to the brim with no fat milk and one brown sugar plus a tall dark roast in a grande cup. Even though I order it daily on line, it’s just what I like when I get there.

ps. I’m not too OCD am I?