What's your favorite fast food?

samhexum

I see from the first 50+ replies that Popeye's is preferred by many to KFC. I prefer the taste of Popeye's, but not by that much. However, while neither is cheap, KFC is more expensive, which makes the final decision easy.

Not always 100% straightforward.

When I lived in Louisville, (early 90s,) home of then Kentucky Fried Chicken, they delivered within the city.

One of the few things Ah lahked about livin' in Lewa Vulcan Ducky was orderin' up a bucket o' chicken, add extra biskits, for delivery.

Everywhere else... prefered Popeyes.

None.

1992. Obese, unemployed, I realized that 80% of my diet was fast food. So I swore off anything with a drive thru.

I have not had McDs, BK, Wendys, Hardees, Arbys, Hardees, Popeyes, KFC, Jack in the Box, White Castle, Long John Silvers, Taco Bell in 25 years. I tried In & Out once after moving to CA in 90s.... didnt like it anyway.

Its become fetish-like..... I refuse to eat at those places. I have a theory that drive thru windows are one enabling element for compulsive overeaters.

To try to respond in the spirit of the OP... what I miss most is Popeyes biscuits, White Castle, and something called a Chilito, created at a Mexican fast food chain called Zantigos, (served also at Taco Bell when they bought Zantigo). Dont know if it still exists, but I miss Naugles in St. Louis.

Here is info about Zantigo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zantigo

I haven't been in a KFC in over 20 years, i don't like the food and I'm not the only one!

Fast Food Reviews: A man of size weighs in.

KFC If there's anything more disgusting than biting into a piece of "fried" chicken and having half a quart of hot water (or something) roll down your chin, I don't know what it is. KFC is fuckin' grotesque. Hard, deep-fried grease shells, "water," snapping veins, people sucking marrow out of shiny bones, great sheets of animal skin hanging from the corner of glistening mouths... it's like something out of a Dean Koontz novel.

I loved Ray's Hell Burger here in DC, I can't choke down any mass market burger chain gut bombs anymore, and that includes Five Guy's, which has to be the most overrated place I've ever eaten at. I do have fond childhood memories of Whataburger, but I doubt the adult reality would hold up. Subway is just plain nasty. I do like Chipotle but rarely go.

I try to keep in mind Michael Pollan's advice that anything that comes through the window of your car as not food, but my oh my, I have a serious weakness for fresh McDonald's hash browns. I think a NYT writer called them the closest thing to a perfect food as exists.

I don't go there much, pretty much the only time I have fast food (apart from the occasional pizza) is when I'm travelling, and Maccas are the most common outlets on the road. With McCafes here, I can buy a coffee and a slice of cheesecake or a ham cheese and tomato toasted sandwich. They also have some pretty good wraps that they change from time to time.

I hardly ever eat fast food except when I am on the road and want to stop for a quick lunch. I don't find any chain absolutely reliable; e.g., Wendy's is usually OK, but I ate at an awful one recently. I think Subway is the most consistent from one location to another, and I like the fact that I can get something other than fried fat there (although I like fried fat at times). If I stop at a highway interchange that contains a pizza place as well as a couple of burger places, I will choose the pizza.

Good Grief said:all Chick-fil-A restaurants are closed for business on Sundays as well as on Thanksgiving and Christmas

I dislike the 'values' and political positions they support, but admire their devotion to their beliefs just in the simple regard to the fact that they close on Sundays. That's a lot of potential $$$ not earned. I'd be curious to see how KFC's sales are on Sundays in areas where they directly compete with Chick-fil-A.

Good Grief said:

Chick-fil-A prides itself on its customer service and ingredient quality, two staples that set the chain apart from many others within the fast food industry.

I don't know what it's from, but the chain IS known for the excellent quality of their chicken sandwiches (and for their waffle fries).

In the rural deep south, most retail businesses are closed on Sunday.

I don’t eat a lot of fast food.

But about a year ago, a late night cruise for food in the middle of an overnight revealed nothing open but Burger King.

I had a Whopper, which I hadn’t had in years.

I swear they put crack in them. I crave them now. So about once a month I have a Whopper (preferably with no onions).

I don’t eat a lot of fast food.

But about a year ago, a late night cruise for food in the middle of an overnight revealed nothing open but Burger King.

I had a Whopper, which I hadn’t had in years.

I swear they put crack in them. I crave them now. So about once a month I have a Whopper (preferably with no onions).

I feel you, I went through a Whopper phase a long time ago. I would always order one without cheese because they would have to make it from scratch. If you're in the drive through, check it before you pull away! ;)

In the rural deep south, most retail businesses are closed on Sunday.

Yes. o_O

Except for the nearby Wal-Mart. Though on Sundays they do close the traditional flush-type restrooms and make us use the privy.

privy-1.jpg

Though Wal-Mart doesn't have a great offering of moonshine to go with hog jowls and collard greens.

Edited by Good Grief

No votes yet for Dairy Queen or Jack in the Box? Sacre bleu!

Growing up in Brooklyn there was a Dairy Queen in the neighborhood and it was awesome but when we moved out to Long Island all we had was Carvel which is not so bad either.

Yes, you are correct. o_O Except for the nearby Wal-Mart. Though on Sundays they do close the traditional flush-type restrooms and make us use the privy.

privy-1.jpg

My mother lived in a small town in MS for several years and I visited he twice/year. It always took a long time to get there. I had to fly to Jackson, which wasn't a direct flight and then drive for 2 hours.