What's your favorite fast food?

samhexum

McDonald’s announced changes to some of its most popular menu items last week, affecting the Big Mac and McDouble, among other things.

The fast food giant claims the changes will improve the flavor of its top-performing burgers.

The improvements come down to four main changes, according to McDonald’s: better, softer buns, consistently melted cheese, a better sear on the patties, adding white onions to the patties as they are searing to improve the flavor and, simplest of all, more Big Mac sauce.

The chain is starting to introduce the burger changes in Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Denver, Boise and Tucson.

It says many stores in the surrounding area will also participate.

US markets are not the first to taste the improved versions of McDonald’s classics.

The chain tested the changes in Australia, Canada and Belgium last year.

McDonald’s hopes to roll out the burger improvements to all stores by 2024.

ok so yesterday as I was passing KFC I finally succumbed to it calling me. It's been many years as I became a Popeye's fan but the last time a year ago it was terrible. So after wrestling with myself in the KFC parking lot I went in and ordered the crispy 3 piece dark meat with fries.  The fries were spectacular so crispy outside and soft inside but the chicken was even more spectacular. Hot,crispy and juicy large pieces which to me seemed like a thinner coating than years ago. Unfortunately I won't be going back soon as I have health issues which forbid it but I can enjoy the memory.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 1:35 AM, BtmBearDad said:

My secret vice is what I like to refer to as “The WC Steakhouse” AKA White Castle ? Call them what you will - “murder burgers”, “belly bombers”, etc. - but I really love a couple of burgers, a couple of bacon double cheese burgers, fries, chicken rings, onion rings, and chocolate shake. 

My tummy may disagree with my love for the WC, but as I only allow myself forays to the steakhouse a few times a year, it’s worth it ??

On 8/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, RadioRob said:

If I’ve had way to much to drink and I want drunk food, I’d punish myself with White Castle. All of which are hard to come by actually near me. 

On 7/12/2022 at 9:01 PM, BtmBearDad said:

I do *try* to stay away from fast food, but there are times when the heart wants what it wants. If we’re talking about franchises, there are really only 3 I can think of that I crave. Sadly 2 of the 3 are out of the country ☹️ But absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that! 

1.) White Castle - or as I refer to it, The WC Steakhouse -  I’d take anything from here, except the clam strips. 

On 5/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I'm excited to be hitting this new flagship White Castle next month.

However, I won't be so excited about it the next day.

Bayside resident Roger Bow was honored by White Castle as an inductee to the restaurant chain’s Food Cravers Hall of Fame. Bow, one of 11 inductees of the class of 2022, was selected after submitting an essay about the important role that White Castle has played in his life.

Bow and the other honorees each received a free trip to White Castle’s home office in Columbus, Ohio, where they were also provided with a free tour of the facility. They were given complimentary accommodations and meals during their stay. In addition to receiving a commemorative plaque recognizing their achievement, each inductee will have their stories shown on the restaurant’s slider boxes later this year.

“It’s definitely a milestone in my life that I’ll never forget,” Bow said. “White Castle has meant so much to me. It’s been in my life pretty much since I was a kid. [My wife and I] felt like royalty [at the ceremony].”

According to Bow, White Castle was the first taste of classic American food that he experienced, as his mother and grandmother would frequently prepare customary Asian dishes. He grew up living about five blocks away from one of the restaurants in Jackson Heights. (recently closed) His father would often surprise him and his sisters with White Castle when he came home from operating his Chinese food restaurant.

“My dad always said the mark of a good restaurant was to not only bring out great-tasting food from the kitchen but to make sure that that food tasted the same each and every time a customer came back for it,” Bow said at the ceremony. “The first visit leaves an impression, but it’s the subsequent visits that make a customer a devout diner and fan. Consistency is one of the hallmarks of White Castle: Consistency of service, taste, quality, and tradition… that’s why we all come back.”

After moving to Flushing, he would frequent the location at 213-17 Northern Blvd. in Bayside. When he turned 15 and got his working papers, Bow’s first job ended up being at that location during the summer of 1977.

“It’s definitely a milestone in my life that I’ll never forget,” Bow said. “White Castle has meant so much to me. It’s been in my life pretty much since I was a kid. [My wife and I] felt like royalty [at the ceremony].”

“I really liked working there because I got to see how busy that White Castle was,” Bow said. “And I got to see the crave from the other perspective. The crave is real!”

While attending college at Fordham University, Bow and his friends would frequent the White Castle located across the street from the campus. Bow said that many people he went to the restaurant with came from different states and areas without a White Castle. He ended up introducing them to the restaurant, whether they were from Pennsylvania, Connecticut or New Jersey. He enjoyed seeing their reactions to trying the food.

Just as his father passed along a love of White Castle to him, so too has Bow to his own kids. As his children grew up, he’d often take them there after scout meetings and ballgames and for occasional Friday night treats.

Bow said there are a few items on the menu that he tends to get on a regular basis. Among his go-to items are two jalapeno cheeseburgers, two regular sliders, onion rings, chicken rings, two fish sandwiches, and/or shrimp nibblers. When it comes to getting dessert, his go-to food there is cheesecake on a stick.

“Cravers Hall of Fame day is a magical day for us here at White Castle,” White Castle Vice President Jamie Richardson said. “We love to see the group grow, and every year our 10,000 team members are nourished and humbled by the amazing stories our inductees share. We hear
something new every time and it means so much to know how people connect with our family business through some of the most memorable moments in their lives.”

Founded in 1921, White Castle is the first fast-food hamburger chain in the United States. The family-owned business owns and operates more than 350 locations across the country, in addition to a retail division providing its food at supermarkets.

https://qns.com/2023/05/bayside-man-white-castle-food-cravers-hall-fame/

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 10:40 PM, samhexum said:

No votes yet for Dairy Queen or Jack in the Box? Sacre bleu!

On 10/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, LIguy said:

Growing up in Brooklyn there was a Dairy Queen in the neighborhood and it was awesome but when we moved out to Long Island all we had was Carvel which is not so bad either.

On 11/5/2017 at 7:05 PM, samhexum said:

About 29 Dairy Queens shuttering after a franchisee files for bankruptcy.

Vasari LLC, which operates about 70 Dairy Queen locations Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Monday. In the filing, the company announced plans to close approximately 29 Dairy Queen locations.

Dairy Queen is discontinuing its famous cherry-dipped ice cream cone for now, right as we’re approaching summer – and some fans are devastated.

“While it’s great to see our fans’ love for the Cherry Dipped Cone, we are always innovating our menus to showcase new and delicious flavors,” the chain said in a statement on Sunday.

The cone was once a staple treat on the menu – an ice cream cone gets dunked into a warm, bright red, cherry-flavored batter which turned into a hard shell when met with the ice cream.

NYPICHPDPICT000011888985.jpg

NYPICHPDPICT000011888987.jpg

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

Dairy Queen is discontinuing its famous cherry-dipped ice cream cone for now...

A sad but moooving story.

image.thumb.png.92a2738b8a656d071f8e828e69ad0fef.png

For the past month and a half, I've become addicted to the "Chicken pot pies" from KFC.  They're apparently made well with fresh ingredients.  The price and calorie designation aren't too bad either.

Today is Memorial Day; I have food in the fridge, but my taste buds are encouraging me to drive to my local KFC to pick up one of these pies.  ...probably have it with a nice variety of fresh organic greens, cubed tomatoes, and perhaps some shredded carrots topped with a light dressing and cracked peppers.  My drink will be lemonade from Trader Joe's.

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Check out what Burger King is offering in Thailand! The "real cheeseburger"! 🧀

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/too-much-burger-king-s-new-offering-in-thailand-has-no-meat-and-20-slices-of-cheese/ar-AA1dI8CX

I was going to post that yesterday, but I was distracted by my vomiting.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:37 PM, Axiom2001 said:

For the past month and a half, I've become addicted to the "Chicken pot pies" from KFC.  They're apparently made well with fresh ingredients.  The price and calorie designation aren't too bad either.

Today is Memorial Day; I have food in the fridge, but my taste buds are encouraging me to drive to my local KFC to pick up one of these pies.  ...probably have it with a nice variety of fresh organic greens, cubed tomatoes, and perhaps some shredded carrots topped with a light dressing and cracked peppers.  My drink will be lemonade from Trader Joe's.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but....

According to KFC's nutrition calculator, one chicken pot pie from KFC contains 720 calories, 60 grams of carbs, 41 grams of fat – including 25 grams of saturated fat – and 1750 milligrams of sodium.

That's fucking terrible for regular eating.  The saturated fat content alone is 125% of your daily recommended intake.

2 hours ago, Danny-Darko said:

Culver's - which is the next best thing after In-N-Out Burger which sadly we don't have in my part of the country. :(

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Culver's soft-serv ice cream (they call it frozen custard maybe?) is the BEST I've ever had at a national chain. I know their secret but don't want the food police after me 😉

On 7/25/2023 at 10:09 PM, Danny-Darko said:

Culver's - which is the next best thing after In-N-Out Burger which sadly we don't have in my part of the country. :(

On 7/26/2023 at 1:08 AM, MikeBiDude said:

Culver's soft-serv ice cream (they call it frozen custard maybe?) is the BEST I've ever had at a national chain. I know their secret but don't want the food police after me 😉

yeah, but you guys have to pay

culvers-giannis*1200xx1280-720-0-0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Adventurous child, 3, escapes crib and walks to McDonald's while mother and twin sister sleep 

A Wisconsin mother recalled the frightening moment she woke up from her sleep to discover her child was missing — only to find the 3-year-old had escaped his crib and fled to McDonald’s.

“He was not in the house. He was not in the basement. He was not in the front yard or the backyard,” Marissa Phiffer, the mother of the twins, explained in her now-viral TikTok.

“This little boy woke up, put his shoes on and walked to McDonald’s.”

Phiffer told TODAY.com that she fell asleep next to the children.

However, when the mother awoke from her brief slumber, she made a heart-dropping discovery.

One of the twins, Aiden, was not in the crib with his sister Aleiya — and even more gut-wrenching, his shoes were missing.

Phiffer said she checked the neighbor’s backyard — a place where her son is known to wander off to.

“I thought that’s where I’d find him. They have a bunch of rocks, and he likes to line them up and play with them,” Phiffer said.

The 23-year-old mother immediately called 9-1-1, terrified about what could’ve happened to her son right under her nose.

Police responded to the distressed mother’s home in “two seconds” with a photo of her son in hand and later informed Phiffer that Aiden was safe at a McDonald’s across the road from their home — a roughly .2 mile journey.

A concerned citizen had noticed Aiden wandering toward the fast food chain and contacted the police, Phiffer shared.

“We run in, and he goes, ‘Hi, Mom!’” Phiffer told the outlet, finding her son hanging out in the play area of the fast food chain.

Phiffer explained she was too relieved to be angry at her son as he was found safe.

Aiden, who his mother says is a big fan of McDonald’s, told her he went on the independent trip because he was “hungry.”

“I almost bought him a Happy Meal, but I was embarrassed,” Phiffer said. “I just wanted to get out of there.”

Phiffer has since installed child-proof safety locks and latches on the doors in an effort to prevent the children from sneaking off to the restaurant unsupervised.

The toddler yearning for McDonald’s is so extreme that Phiffer explained that he would wake from deep slumbers if they pulled into the restaurant’s drive-thru.

“Fries, nuggets, and apple slices — he’d eat that every day,” she told the outlet. “But that was actually his first time going to the PlayLand there.”

The TikTok has been viewed over 2.8 Million times since being posted on July 31 — and has garnered over 500k likes.

Commenters were pleased to hear the boy was safe and the mother was not alone in the wandering toddler fiasco.

“My son did this! he didn’t walk to Mac Donald’s but went across the street, me and my husband was sleeping the cop walked in our house,” a user shared with the mother.

Some even praised the boy’s determination.

“On a positive note he is a go getter and has a lot of confidence. My kids wouldn’t go into a store by themselves for the longest time,” one mother wrote.

“I want to send Aiden a McDonald’s gift certificate,” another commented, saying she’s “so glad he’s safe! He is a brave boy!”

They really should make a commercial out of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the fitness advocate on me is such that I don’t really like any.. but I’ll throw you a curve!  I’d go through White Castle and collect their little burgers.  2 are better than one!  Fortunately, I ‘m not tented often.  Don’t think they have any restaurants in Kansas anymore.