How long do you wait for a provider to respond?

Go to solution Solved by Simon Suraci,

Just wondering how long you all wait for a provider to respond when inquiring about meeting a few days in advance?

Since my time and schedule is usually limited; if a provider isn't interested or available, I'd like to be able to make other plans. But, also don't want to end up in a situation where more than one provider is expecting a booking.

48 minutes ago, Your Man in Arlington said:

Just wondering how long you all wait for a provider to respond when inquiring about meeting a few days in advance?

Since my time and schedule is usually limited; if a provider isn't interested or available, I'd like to be able to make other plans. But, also don't want to end up in a situation where more than one provider is expecting a booking.

Depends!

Even if he's doing an overnight when you contact him on a Monday to getting together on a Friday, he can always text back from the bathroom or when they client is not around. I would say wait one day and if he doesn't reply by then move on to the next and if he texts you back later just tell him you made other plans. Hopefully he didn't reply to you the day before because he was out of the country or hiking the Appalachian trail without connection. If provider doesn't text back within 24 hours, I would expect an explanation about why it took him so long.

Thanks for the input everyone! 24 hours has been my rule of thumb, too. I'll probably stick with that as long as I have enough lead time.

7 hours ago, nycman said:

I used to be a "wait 24 hours" guy.

But after looking back and doing the math, I figured out if a guy hasn’t responded in 2 to 3 hours he’s either not going to or it’s not worth it.

And guys who respond will immediately get my attention fast. They’re almost always worth it.

I've noticed this, too... maybe up to 4 hours depending on when I reach out since I'm an early riser. I just feel better giving them the greatest "benefit of the doubt" if I need to tell them that I've already made other plans.

This is one thing that irritates me. 

I wait 24 hours. Past that I am done. 

I can't stand people who have their listing set to active in my city but are actually out of town for 2 weeks. 

Or, they are currently with an extended client, or sick or whatever but they still show their listing. 

Why not put an auto reply on your text that says you are unavailable, or change your listing. It is just dumb because people who reach out while you are away just assume you are a flake. 

It depends on how far in advance it is.

However, usually, if a provider doesn't answer within 24 hours, they're never going to answer. And I'm not going to keep begging anyone with additional texts.

If I'm doing right-now hiring, I only give them 30 minutes. I've had to tell more than one potential provider that they took too long to get back, so I already hired a replacement. Plenty of fish in the RM sea.

2 minutes ago, DrownedBoy said:

However, usually, if a provider doesn't answer within 24 hours, they're never going to answer. And I'm not going to keep begging anyone with additional texts.

This, absolutely yes. I only ever send one initial inquiry. There's no way to make someone want your business if they don't.

1 hour ago, The Big Guy said:

Given the number of providers I have been with that spent much of the appointment looking at the phone, I have a hard time believing they cannot answer in a 3 or 4 hour time period.  

I have fortunately only really experienced this with one provider (others have checked their phone in limited way after playtime), but I hear of this complaint often. I hope it remains the exception for me. ☝️

Speaking for myself here. I don’t know what your other guys are doing. My response time varies from minutes to hours. 

Late night texts when I’m in bed and falling asleep or already asleep I let sit overnight until I wake up and respond first thing from bed.

Some of my clients book me for 2 1/2 hrs (pretty common, long massage and scrub appointment) to 5 hrs or more. For example, once a month, a client gets body trimming (45 mins), massage (90 mins), playtime (120 mins), and body scrub (30 mins). Then we go out to dinner after all that, for about two hours. When a client reaches out to me on this day, I am lucky to respond on the way to dinner. Forget about that hours long window when I am focused on my client and not checking my phone at all. I’m actually being a good service provider giving my complete focus and attention to my client.

Those demanding responses in 30 mins or less…you’re essentially requiring that a provider not only be available during the time you want, but also available when you reach out. Say you want an hour of his time, and your start time is two hours away. That means you’re demanding three hours of his time IMMEDIATELY. Great if he’s sitting around with nothing better to do, awaiting your one text. The reality is we juggle many requests throughout the day and do our best to make it seem like you are our only client and only concern in the world. I may be working on a client when you text. Say it’s only a one hour appointment, that’s still too long for some of you people here. 

When you’ve done good research, you’re already picking from among the better providers - those most attentive to client inquiries, but they are busy because they are good. Wait up to 24 hrs. Several hours is not unheard of. Some of them are worth the wait. Quality is more important than convenience or instant gratification.

I get that some clients are looking for “right now”, but it’s unrealistic to expect your whole list of half a dozen guys to respond within minutes. It’s ok to respond to a straggler later saying you hired another provider. To show goodwill, mention that you will keep him in mind for next time. Perfectly acceptable.

More than 24 hrs and he’s less and less likely to respond at all. Move on. 

The fair time to wait is 5 hours, provided you're not asking before they are turning in for the night. The advice given earlier to move on on YOUR side after about two is a great suggestion. It's been rare, but I have had to let people know that someone else got back with me in a more timely fashion, and I'll try to see them some other time. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t often look for quick availability but have done so on occasion-usually when a flight cancelled or business required me to stay an extra day or two while traveling. When I got up those mornings I didn’t realize I was going to have availability and, of course, had not made any inquiries. I’m probably going to get chastised for admitting this, but in these last minute requests, I usually send out identical inquiries to 2 or 3 different providers (marked as Available Now). It is rare that I get two quick responses. In the first hour, I usually get one. If I book that appointment, I respond immediately to later responders by apologizing and admitting I jumped the gun and am not available after all. The second response is usually 4 or 5 hours later, which is reasonable but didn’t fit my time frame. There is always one who doesn’t respond. I have gotten some criticism from the ones who responded but didn’t get booked. Called a time waster or flake or alleged that I jerked off and had no intention of booking. I’m sure I’ve been a flake and God knows I jerk off but it seems a little harsh to me for a single text I sent hours earlier and a single text they sent. But I can’t imagine how few inquiries convert into appointments. And it must be maddening to get inundated with repeated messages and questions from a single person that leads nowhere. That’s why I only send one message to each person and respond the second I get a response from them. I suppose it would be more honorable to make one inquiry and wait for the response before moving to the next candidate. But honestly if I did that I wouldn’t book half of the last minute appointments I’ve had. And they have been some of the best. There have been a very few times when someone responded very quickly and said, “Send me the address, I’ll be there in 15 minutes”. I’ve had to ask for more time so I can get my act together and occasionally they’ve been irked and told me to forget it. Good thing I had a back up. I apologize to those whose time I’ve wasted and I don’t hold a grudge to those who never responded. I know I’m just looking for fun and that it’s the provider’s livelihood but life happens, let’s give each other a break.  

3 hours ago, Jay DC said:

I don’t often look for quick availability but have done so on occasion-usually when a flight cancelled or business required me to stay an extra day or two while traveling. When I got up those mornings I didn’t realize I was going to have availability and, of course, had not made any inquiries. I’m probably going to get chastised for admitting this, but in these last minute requests, I usually send out identical inquiries to 2 or 3 different providers (marked as Available Now). It is rare that I get two quick responses. In the first hour, I usually get one. If I book that appointment, I respond immediately to later responders by apologizing and admitting I jumped the gun and am not available after all. The second response is usually 4 or 5 hours later, which is reasonable but didn’t fit my time frame. There is always one who doesn’t respond. I have gotten some criticism from the ones who responded but didn’t get booked. Called a time waster or flake or alleged that I jerked off and had no intention of booking. I’m sure I’ve been a flake and God knows I jerk off but it seems a little harsh to me for a single text I sent hours earlier and a single text they sent. But I can’t imagine how few inquiries convert into appointments. And it must be maddening to get inundated with repeated messages and questions from a single person that leads nowhere. That’s why I only send one message to each person and respond the second I get a response from them. I suppose it would be more honorable to make one inquiry and wait for the response before moving to the next candidate. But honestly if I did that I wouldn’t book half of the last minute appointments I’ve had. And they have been some of the best. There have been a very few times when someone responded very quickly and said, “Send me the address, I’ll be there in 15 minutes”. I’ve had to ask for more time so I can get my act together and occasionally they’ve been irked and told me to forget it. Good thing I had a back up. I apologize to those whose time I’ve wasted and I don’t hold a grudge to those who never responded. I know I’m just looking for fun and that it’s the provider’s livelihood but life happens, let’s give each other a break.  

If a provider is going to waste their own time to contact you with criticism, you can know that you were much better off not seeing them at all, or to ever try to in the future. I've followed through only one time with a provider who was being flat out rude with texts prior to meeting him - it went about as bad as I feared. 

As a provider,  I think a diligent response is always important.   I say 24 hours for sure.   To be responsive is to show interest in the client and in the job in general.

Communication is a flow of ideas and interest.    The only exception is if the provider was sick or simply unable to respond.    Without it,  a client should consider moving along and finding another candidate.

3 hours ago, viewing ownly said:

If a provider is going to waste their own time to contact you with criticism, you can know that you were much better off not seeing them at all, or to ever try to in the future. I've followed through only one time with a provider who was being flat out rude with texts prior to meeting him - it went about as bad as I feared. 

I think you’re probably right but I give a little more latitude. Once when flying cross country, I realized at the airport that I had left my laptop and iPad at home. On my phone, I reached out to a couple of providers asking if they had availability in the next few days.  I explained I was traveling and would check back when I arrived at my hotel. Traveling to the hotel, I left both my personal and  professional phones in the taxi never to be seen again. I was like an Amish girl trying to survive in the big city. And the provider’s never heard back from me. Shit happens and we all have moments that don’t show us at our best. I’ve never been such a doofus before or after that trip but nobody’s perfect and a little compassion never hurts.