Furnace Thermostat Setting

TonyDown

On 1/13/2024 at 2:15 PM, Charlie said:

I am obviously an outlier here: I have my thermostat set at 80 in the winter--we are a couple of old men who are uncomfortable at lower temperatures. Luckily, we live in a place where it rarely gets really cold outside, so we are not radically boosting the inside temperature. However, in recent days it has been as low as 35 outside when I get up in the early morning, though it gets into the mid-60s to 70s once the sun is up.

I remember when I was living at home and my parents were getting older so they turned up the heat in the apartment gradually every year. Later when I went home for visits they would have the heat at the stifling temperature of 80. I had to open the window in my bedroom in sub zero weather to cool it down since there were no individual room thermostats.

I’ m their age now but live alone and turn the temperature down to 67 at night. Sleep well and don’t have to open the window. The house is leaky enough to provide good ventilation lol.

5 hours ago, Luv2play said:

How long does a tankful last and how many times do you have to refill in one heating season?

My tank holds a little over 200 gallons, so I only get 100 gals at a time - making it half a tank. Today, I had a delivery and my tank was 1/8 full - so now I have a half plus 1/8. It usually goes down to 1/8 in 4 weeks depending on the weather.  This November - January has been unseasonably mild, so I've been stretching it a bit (my last delivery was 5 weeks ago). On average (November - May) I will get 5 - 6 deliveries. I do get my last delivery in May for the summer (which will last through October, usually) as I do need it for hot water. 

22 minutes ago, Ali Gator said:

My tank holds a little over 200 gallons, so I only get 100 gals at a time - making it half a tank. Today, I had a delivery and my tank was 1/8 full - so now I have a half plus 1/8. It usually goes down to 1/8 in 4 weeks depending on the weather.  This November - January has been unseasonably mild, so I've been stretching it a bit (my last delivery was 5 weeks ago). On average (November - May) I will get 5 - 6 deliveries. I do get my last delivery in May for the summer (which will last through October, usually) as I do need it for hot water. 

So depending on how large a house you have and it’s construction, you do pay a fair hunk of cash to heat it and your water.

I'm just hoping the entire state power grid doesn't go belly up like it did a few years ago when we had an icy week. (Though it will give ole "Cancun Ted" Cruz another excuse to fly off to the tropics again.) Whoops, sorry, borderline political talk. Guess I'm skating on thin ice here. 

Edited by Becket

here in the desert country, most have an electric "heat pump" which is both heat and AC, as is appropriate......no need for serious gas/oil heating ever, but a warm-up on bracing winter mornings helps......and it gets serious use in the summer......I have no gas service to the house......

in the winter, I set the thermostat low enough (about 61) at bedtime that it won't come on at all until just before I wake up since I like to sleep in a cold room under the down comforter......I'll set it to about 67 after waking up in the winter to warm the place up, then will open the windows (and lower the heat setting to keep it off) for fresh air if it warms up enough outside.....this weekend, it'll be 76 outside for a high!

in the summer, 77 is my thermostat setting and it cranks much of the time with nighttime lows rarely getting below 70.......

$86/month is the year-round electric bill with a leveled-out plan the electric company figures out......

I would love to hire a nude male, nice-looking, well-defined  housecleaner. Never saw any ads in my area.  I've offered some extra cash to a few young guys who have been to my house for repairs, etc (told them this was all 'on the side' of course, not to interfere with the work they do each day) but no one was interested. 

Actually, one young man named Cody  (supposedly straight) was - he was 25, handsome and well-toned smooth sexy body. I hired him to clean my bathroom and kitchen 'nude' for $100 (good price for a small bathroom and small kitchen - both not that dirty).  He agreed and came by one Saturday. Once he got here, he decided he'd take everything off except his underwear (bikini underwear). I told him I'd give him $75 since he went back on the deal. We negotiated back to $100 when he said I could touch him during his time here - just not his dick. I was fine with that - but by the end of his appointment (2 hours), he did pull out his dick for me and let me stroke it a bit. When he cot close to coming, he told me to stop and pulled his underwear back up. (That was fine).  He agreed to come back once a month - he didn't mind 'the job'.  When I called him the following month, he ghosted me. 

When I'm at home in the wintertime, I usually run the heat around 71 or 72 and still have to wear a sweatshirt.  At night I set it at 67.  And sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and feel like it's freezing!  I wish I had the ability to sleep with it colder.  I don't know how people can stand it in the 50's!

On 1/17/2024 at 2:15 PM, azdr0710 said:

here in the desert country, most have an electric "heat pump" which is both heat and AC, as is appropriate......no need for serious gas/oil heating ever, but a warm-up on bracing winter mornings helps......and it gets serious use in the summer......I have no gas service to the house......

in the winter, I set the thermostat low enough (about 61) at bedtime that it won't come on at all until just before I wake up since I like to sleep in a cold room under the down comforter......I'll set it to about 67 after waking up in the winter to warm the place up, then will open the windows (and lower the heat setting to keep it off) for fresh air if it warms up enough outside.....this weekend, it'll be 76 outside for a high!

in the summer, 77 is my thermostat setting and it cranks much of the time with nighttime lows rarely getting below 70.......

$86/month is the year-round electric bill with a leveled-out plan the electric company figures out......

Does that electric bill include all your electricity consumption or just that related to the heat pump?

On 1/13/2024 at 1:42 PM, Luv2play said:

I would have to go back and look but the most expensive month was over $600 for an 8 room very old house built in 1866. For the season it cost just under $2000.

That's outrageous for an energy rich country.

I never use my heat.  Not only does San Francisco generally not get that cold (though we typically have nighttime lows in the 40s here this time of year), but my condo must have been built with keeping heat inside as a priority.  It's actually a problem during the warmest months since it gets too hot in here, but in the winter I can walk around in underwear and a t-shirt and feel comfortable.  It rarely gets colder than 70 degrees inside.  I actually opened a window and used a fan to blow cold nighttime air in this past week because it was too warm after I made dinner and I sleep better in a cooler room.

8 hours ago, augustus said:

That's outrageous for an energy rich country.

Government policy is to make fossil fuels more expensive so people will be encouraged to switch to climate friendlier sources of energy.

When you say energy rich, I assume you are talking about fossil fuels. And they are destroying the planet. So it’s an enlightened policy.

What’s outrageous is continuing to burn fossil fuels heedlessly without regard to the future. Your kids and grandkids will curse our generation if we leave them an uninhabitable planet. 

Edited by Luv2play

My condo has radiant heat along the outside walls that usually keeps me warm and toasty, so much so, I sometimes open the patio door a crack to cool it down.  However this past week of below zero temps, it was cold inside, and I turned on the heat on the air-handler to warm up.  I think I need to invest in new windows,  

8 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Government policy is to make fossil fuels more expensive so people will be encouraged to switch to climate friendlier sources of energy.

When you say energy rich, I assume you are talking about fossil fuels. And they are destroying the planet. So it’s an enlightened policy.

What’s outrageous is continuing to burn fossil fuels heedlessly without regard to the future. Your kids and grandkids will curse our generation if we leave them an uninhabitable planet. 

"destroying the planet" ... then why do hundreds of climate-change activists always travel to all these environmental conferences on their private jets?  Maybe because climate activists care only about control over the world's economies.  Climate? meh, not so much.

Some people have to choose between heating their homes and buying groceries.  The Very Important People who fly private have no idea how painful that is, and they certainly don't care.

Edited by BSR
Reworded

On 1/17/2024 at 11:31 AM, Charlie said:

Our last house in Pennsylvania was built during a moratorium on gas installations, so it had an electric heat pump, and I thought it was the easiest heating/AC device I have ever had.

We replaced our old gas gravity heater with a heat pump a few years ago. Agreed, so easy to use and effective, and now we have A/C as well. Same as a lot of people here, 62 at night, 67 first thing in morning, and 65 the rest of the day. 72 during the day in the summer. 

Though @FreshFluff you’re getting me pondering that overnight temperature! I’ve lowered the thermostat to 60 tonight to see how it is.