What are you doing New Year’s Eve?

BobPS

I’m having dinner with my West Coast brother from another mother at his place. He loves to cook. My dog is also invited. I know the dinner will be wonderful.  We will watch the ball drop in New York at 9 PST. I’ll offer to help clean up. He will reject the offer.  I’ll drive home with my dog, walk my dog, brush my teeth, and go to bed, probably no later than 10:30 PST. I’m not a fan of big New Year’s Eve parties, or dining out on New Year’s Eve. That’s just me. I’m curious as to what other forum members enjoy doing on NYE. Happy New Year! May all your yearnings be fulfilled all year long!

Edited by BobPS
Punctuation

Staying in. 

When I owned my store, I would be open until 5 pm or so, doing inventory (and it would be one of my busiest days post-Christmas week...turns out many people bring expensive 'hostess gifts' to New Years Eve parties). My city would also have their version of 'First Night' so I would sell buttons to the customers who wanted to go (I believe they were $10 each). The organizers of FN would let us know if there were any extra buttons when we closed on NYE we retailers could 'borrow them' so we could attend the festivities as well; we just had to make sure the buttons were back in the 'return batch' on January 2. So once I closed, about eight of my closest friends would gather at my store and we would go to a favorite, cozy restaurant on my street and have a festive dinner. (None of us are / were drinkers, so alcohol wasn't a problem).  Then we'd head back to the streets to see musicians, artist, food tastings, etc. It was a nice time for some 20 years, until it all ended / scaled back during the recession in 2008. 

After that, we tried doing an early movie / dinner but it wasn't the same. In 2011, once I closed my store, I dropped out of the group and decided to stay home and go to bed early.  Tomorrow, on NY day, a few of us (maybe four?)  from the old gang will get together for a late lunch / early dinner at a nice restaurant. As we get older - we're all in our 60s now - we enjoy this most. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Tonight is a bad night to hire I would think. Crazy drunk drivers out there for one thing and ubers are gonna be expensive if you go that route. Just stay home.

I hired at 11 AM. 

For most of us with family it's a day to hang out with them. If the price is higher than 100 I'll just spend the night in Mclean, I also have friends nearby but no way to walk to them because there are no sidewalks where they live. 

Nothing. Will be in bed before midnight. 

Tomorrow I will send messages to a few of my favourite providers, as I do every year. Some I will see in 2024 and others perhaps not as they live far away and don’ t come to Canada any more. But I like hearing from them nevertheless. I had some wonderful experiences with them and treasure the memories. 

For auld lang syne.

I met a friend for lunch and a beer or two at a food court, and now I'm cooking spaghetti while surfing on my computer. Will watch a movie afterwards. But it's cold and staying at home with everything I need and want, warm and safe, is worth a lot more than staying in a crowd and watching a ball drop while partying.

I also found that celebrating in the day on New Year's Eve is a lot more pleasant and less likely to get into a car accident (though if I am out, I leave immediately after 12:00 A.M. because the people from bars do not come out until the bars close around 2:00 A.M. to 3:00 A.M.).

Surprisingly, I went to the gym at 9:00 A.M. this morning thinking it wouldn't be too crowded, but unfortunately, it was. I belong to 24 hour Fitness and during the COVID pandemic, they closed a few locations but the number of memberships remained the same. With the coming New Year, I'll go tomorrow morning early after breakfast, but I'm not looking forward to the New Years resolution people coming to the gym and taking up everything. It'll get to the point that I'll have to come to the gym at 8:00 or 9:00 P.M. at night to get a comfortable workout. I guess due to COVID, people realized how much they missed gyms and decided to not take their memberships for granted.

Every year a friend of my husband invites us to a NYE get together. I went there and enjoyed drinks, food, music, great conversation and fireworks from down the street. We also saw bands marching, rehearsing for today's yearly Mummers Parade.

I had a great time.

To my surprise, I didn't hear any of the usual illegal fireworks in the desert behind my house last night. I went to bed at 9pm. expecting to be awakened by the explosions at midnight, but instead slept soundly through the night. My dog was pleased, too, because he was able to sleep on the bed instead of under it, where he usually goes when the booms start.