Favorite Scotch?

Any Scotch drinkers? Interested in your favorites. I’m all over the board, from light-delicate to smoky-rich. Auchentoshan to Lagavulin. Many I haven’t tasted. Dream trip—tour of distilleries.

I love Scotch and am like you when it comes to my taste.  Sometimes it's nice to have something light and delicate, and other times a smoky-rich Scotch is what I want.  Given I'm not wealthy, there are a whole lot of expensive Scotches I've never tried.  For an affordable option, I really enjoy Johnny Walker Black when I want that smoky-rich flavor.

Edited by maninsoma
correct "weather" to "wealthy"

Laphroaig, hands down. If unavailable, Lagavulin or Ardbeg; all are smoky and peaty and delectable. As a nice change of pace is the golden allure of a Glenlivet 18 year. [BTW, straying from the Scots for the moment, any of the "Spots" Irish whiskies (Green, Yellow, Blue, or Red) are truly the smoothest of any I've sampled!]

I wish I could remember the names of some scotch I tried at at tasting…of course they were $200-$300 bottles and those are the ones I liked. I’ve had Laphroaig and I thought it tasted like the smell of a permanent marker 😝. And the McCallan? 12,15, or 20 yr I just could not acquire a taste.  

25 minutes ago, Kman said:

I wish I could remember the names of some scotch I tried at at tasting…of course they were $200-$300 bottles and those are the ones I liked. I’ve had Laphroaig and I thought it tasted like the smell of a permanent marker 😝. And the McCallan? 12,15, or 20 yr I just could not acquire a taste.  

Laphroaig prides itself on its sharp test. The distillery sponsored a contest some years ago for the best description of it; the winning entry was "tastes like gas station sushi served on a rusty plate." I wholly disagree with the description but admire its self-deprecating nature.

30 minutes ago, Kman said:

I've had the 12- and 18-year McCallan's and found neither much to my liking. The taste reminded me of the first description I ever heard of the taste of scotch as being like what you get when you wring out sweaty gym socks. Never tried that brand of kink, but it fits with my recollections.

5 hours ago, wsc said:

I've had the 12- and 18-year McCallan's and found neither much to my liking. The taste reminded me of the first description I ever heard of the taste of scotch as being like what you get when you wring out sweaty gym socks. Never tried that brand of kink, but it fits with my recollections.

4 hours ago, Km411 said:

I’m not bothered by McCallan but it doesn’t do much for me. 

6 hours ago, Kman said:

Maybe if you guys spelled it right it would taste better? 😉😂I don't drink alcohol anymore  but I sure miss my The Macallan 18 with my cigar.

IMG_1157.webp

On 12/30/2023 at 6:39 AM, wsc said:

Laphroaig, hands down. If unavailable, Lagavulin or Ardbeg; all are smoky and peaty and delectable. As a nice change of pace is the golden allure of a Glenlivet 18 year. [BTW, straying from the Scots for the moment, any of the "Spots" Irish whiskies (Green, Yellow, Blue, or Red) are truly the smoothest of any I've sampled!]

I visited all three in September of 2016 while staying on Islam. Excellent! I rarely drink Scots Whisky anymore. I would say my fave is Bowmore Old Darkest.

19 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Maybe if you guys spelled it right it would taste better? 😉😂I don't drink alcohol anymore  but I sure miss my The Macallan 18 with my cigar.

IMG_1157.webp

A man after my own heart!  Macallan 18 when I'm feeling flush, Macallan 12 otherwise.  If I ever won the lottery, I'd splurge on a bottle of Macallan 25.  I only tried the 25 once.  One sip ... the clouds parted, and the angels burst into song.

I also like Glenlivet 18.  Glenlivet 25 with all its smokey deliciousness is a nice affordable splurge.

While I'm not a fan of blendeds, Johnny Black will do in a pinch.  I never understood the appeal of Blue, especially since it's 5x more expensive than Black.

Edited by BSR
Typo