Deposits and when are they ok to ask for it?

Phil Wagner

There is no easy road to success in any profession.  It’s all about hard work, dedication, adapting to change, a positive mindset - and being able to overcome challenges without getting stuck in why it can’t happen

The simplest way to be successful is to identify the people who are successful and do what they do.  And if those same successful people are offering specific ideas, advise & help on how to do it - even better & an invaluable resource.

In my professional life, I had to coach lots of people on how to do better in a super competitive work environment.  It was a 50/50 chance that the employees could survive, “get it” and eventually thrive in their work.  The ones who failed could not take direction & were always making excuses about why something couldn’t happen or that they had unique circumstances - they got stuck in a negative mindset.

I think being a successful provider is difficult because it requires an extensive sexual repertoire & being very good at all those things to appeal to broad range of client interest.  In addition, they need to excel in the business end (advertising, screening, booking, & analysis) which requires a completely different skill set.  
How many providers can do all those things & do them well ?  
A very few who are the real pros.

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

@Jarrod_Uncut you know I love you man. You know I wish you success. We disagree on a lot of things and that’s ok. I’m comfortable with that and have respect for our differences.

I’m the kind of guy who will invest his heart and soul into helping others, at the expense of his own sanity sometimes. At some point I have to give up for my own mental health because the other person isn’t interested in help or ideas or getting better, but emotionally it costs me a lot to keep caring so much. It’s just me trying to be supportive and struggling when all the other person does is continue to sabotage himself, close himself off from others who are genuinely interested in his success.

You’re not interested in opinions or insight, or adapting or trying new things. Or taking serious advice from the forum members who have taken time out of their lives to respond genuinely and thoughtfully to your posts.

You want the hiring world to conform to your business model and to your preferences. That ain’t gonna happen. Never. Years of promotion on these forums has not changed hearts and minds, even those most sympathetic to you. If anything, you’ve alienated many potential clients, and some of them have said that to me privately.

You will never give up on the deposits policy, and that’s ok. You do you. You’re entitled to do business how you see fit. What we forum members find most exhausting is that you continue complain about the consequences of your own policies, where you choose to live, and how you choose to do business. If you don’t like how it’s working out for you, you’re welcome to change any of those things. But we know you won’t do that. Never. You want the world to change instead, and when it doesn’t, you complain…and then keep demanding it to change…and when you’re met with reasonable skepticism about your expectations, you try to convince the world that they’re all wrong. It’s a miserable cycle.

You’re not going to convince others that they should charge/pay deposits as a new norm for hiring across the board. The industry is never going to change to fit how you want and think it should be. Period.

Continue with the policies that work for you. And when they don’t work for you, feel free to complain again (and again, and again) about the same things, but don’t be shocked when it falls on deaf ears. Forum members are utterly exhausted for sympathy for you. And that’s coming from someone who genuinely cares about you and wants to see you succeed!

I’ll be taking a step back from engaging with some of the more repetitive posts from Jarrod. It’s too exhausting for me to keep going. I don’t mean to say I won’t engage with Jarrod in general, just that I’m going to skip the topics where I already know your opinion and have heard similar complaints a zillion times already and know you aren’t interested in discussing ways to get better. There’s no point. It’s a total waste of time.

21 minutes ago, Simon Suraci said:

You want the hiring world to conform to your business model and to your preferences. That ain’t gonna happen. Never. Years of promotion on these forums has not changed hearts and minds, even those most sympathetic to you. If anything, you’ve alienated many potential clients

image.gif.78832b92ee3b21f0e2954e47d3192696.gif

Can we please talk about pizza 🍕 now?  I saw the theme going towards pizza in this thread.... Bill's pizza in Palm Springs is excellent so is Grimaldi's limelight in New York City and neither one of them charge your credit card before you order your pizza 🙂 you pay after you've  enjoyed your pizza 🍕 😂😜🤪

1 hour ago, Vin_Marco said:

Can we please talk about pizza 🍕 now?  I saw the theme going towards pizza in this thread.... Bill's pizza in Palm Springs is excellent so is Grimaldi's limelight in New York City and neither one of them charge your credit card before you order your pizza 🙂 you pay after you've  enjoyed your pizza 🍕 😂😜🤪

Subtle oh so subtle😊. Not lol

2 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

Ok this will get it going. Pineapple on pizza? Yes or No?

2 minutes ago, Jamie21 said:

Ok this will get it going. Pineapple on pizza? Yes or No?

That my man is almost as controversial as "deposits" 😜 I love most types of pizza 🍕 and when at Bill's in Palm Springs,  I typically order a pepperoni and cheese pizza with black olives, cilantro and yes, pineapple  🍍 😎 Two different schools of thought: 

IMG_5317.jpeg

IMG_5259.jpeg

2 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

I like the taste of Papa John's pizza🍕, but I loathe that they require payment via credit card 💳 in advance for delivery.  Sorry, I don't pay in advance for delivery.  So I order from Domino's or Pizza Hut instead.  Their pizza 🍕 might not be as good, but their business model allows me to pay cash 💰 at the door so I hire them.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

5 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Sorry, I don't pay in advance for delivery. 

me neither - in NYC,  I like to pick mine up in person and pay when I arrive.  Not sure whether it’s an incall or outcall, just no (you know what) 

yes on pineapple, but not usually.

my preference is for meaty w thick crust and very hot 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

5 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

LOL

and prefer super XL because I have a deep oven to keep it warm. And I like to have it again in the morning, which I find is better the second time 

Ironically, that perfect warm oven would end up with a "deposit" 😂

IMG_5380.gif

1 minute ago, Vin_Marco said:

Ironically, that perfect warm oven would end up with a "deposit"

oddly, my oven seems to prefer it that way.  and actually doesn’t mind if the pizza is a bit to big for the oven.  a good pizza is always hot & gooey. I’ve found if you take the pizza in/out of the oven very slowly, it gets to be just right. if not you can always increase the frequency & turn up the heat.  My oven can take it and is quite reliable - many have remarked on its excellence and abilities.  Sometimes I move it around to see if works better in different positions - the best one seem to be when the door can completely open & allow the biggest pizzas inside.  It takes some time & an effort, but it always gets there. And it’s remarkably resilient as it can be used many times in just a few hours.  I love my oven.