Getting the latest Covid vaccination

BobPS

On 10/18/2023 at 1:06 PM, Vegas_Millennial said:

I'm probably as young as you, and I've received the pneumonia vaccine twice (once in my 20s, and once in my 30s when the new vaccine was developed to be effective against more strains of pneumonia).

My doctor knows that I'm very sexually popular, so we're getting me all of the shots I can.

“Sexually popular”, Now there’s a phrase I haven’t seen used much. Slut, yes. Lol.

On 12/5/2023 at 5:32 AM, liubit said:

I got my 6th Pfizer covid shot (bivalent) yesterday. No adverse reaction, this time not even a sore arm. 

You and others have talked about getting the bivalent vaccine recently. I got the latest Pfizer XBB.1.5 COVID vaccine on the same day Dec 5th. I got two earlier bivalent vaccines in June and last Dec, 2022. 

Others have pointed out here recently that getting the old vaccine is useless. So I don’t know if you are getting a useless shot or not. Maybe just using language loosely. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 8:00 PM, Thelatin said:

I’m the only one not getting vaccinated?  I respect everyone’s choice - but yeah, I’m done with it. 

2 hours ago, Thelatin said:

Day 4 of quarantine with Covid lol.

LMAO.

You were done with Covid, but Covid wasn’t done with you!

Just teasing. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

The problem with COVID is that it causes inflammation of various body parts and can cause lasting damage. That’s why I am continuing with the shots as they come out to deal with the various mutations of the virus. 
I intend to do so as long as public health authorities here in Canada continue to advise in favour of being up-to-date on vaccinations.

And so far I have avoided getting COVID and still lead a fairly normal life style for me. Which includes seeing my regular quotient of providers.😉

From the Shingles vax thread.

9 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

PS - Also on your list should be the annual flu shot, pneumonia (every five years) and TDAP (every 10). As for the COVID vax updates, that's up to you (my PCP has advised against it, so I have not been updating since 2021 - he believes we know have herd immunity).

Public health advice, in Australia at least, differs and recommends Covid updates in many cases, and is generally based on the value of the updated vaccines in mitigating the severity of the disease if you catch it, not preventing you from doing so.

Herd immunity is a population level protection, and is different from a general level protection derived from the immunity that most everyone (you included) would have from exposure to the disease and from earlier vaccinations. That may have been what your PCP was talking about.

Herd immunity results from a high enough proportion of the population having a level of immunity (however acquired) that means that it is unlikely those without, or with a low level of immunity will be exposed to the disease and contract it. It is also localised, not necessarily regional or national level. If you travel to a city or country where the disease is prevalent, your home herd immunity doesn't protect you, you depend on your individual level of immunity.

By way of examples, most of Australia has measles herd immunity, but cases occur in regions with low immunity levels, or when unimmunised people travel to overseas regions where it is prevalent and bring it back. Pertussis, or whooping cough, has herd immunity (mainly from childhood vaccinations) but vaccinations are highly recommended for certain groups of previously vaccinated people who are not at risk of severe disease (eg grandparents) but who even with a mild case would pose a significant risk to unvaccinated people (their new-born children too young to be vaccinated).

None of that is to diminish the importance of the advice of your PCP or your decision on taking their advice. Their advice would be tailored to you personally and not simply be a statement of general immunity in your community.

7 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

Do you still trust PrEP or you only disagree with your Dr. when it comes to Covid-19? 

How interesting if he answers that he's following his doctor's advice for both, but his doctor's advice for him is not necessarily the same as your doctor's advice for you.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

8 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

How interesting if he answers that he's following his doctor's advice for both, but his doctor's advice for him is not necessarily the same as your doctor's advice for you.

I always follow my doctor's advice whether is fun or not.

Not everything can be solved taking a pill or an injection, some things require self-control, lifestyle changes, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 12:46 PM, ButchAtl said:

I got the Covid and RSV and the same time last week.  I have not had any reaction to Covids before (other than the sore arm), so I am guessing it was the RSV that put me in bed for two days?  Severe fatigue and headache and blahness!   

My doctor told me to space out the shots (flu, covid, RSV) by a week or two each.  Flu, and covid done.  We'll see how the RSV goes.

On 1/20/2024 at 10:52 PM, bashful said:

My doctor told me to space out the shots (flu, covid, RSV) by a week or two each.  Flu, and covid done.  We'll see how the RSV goes.

I did all three at the same time at CVS (they said it was safe to do so) about a month ago.  I will never do that again.  Hit me like a mac truck for about a day or two.  Luckily, the effects wore off pretty fast, but still...never again.

• 2 weeks later...

Particularly bad bout of COVID few weeks ago. Was given the old vaccine in the autumn (wasn’t aware at the time) and not allowed to take the updated one. Is the old vaccine ineffective?

4 hours ago, Rohit said:

Particularly bad bout of COVID few weeks ago. Was given the old vaccine in the autumn (wasn’t aware at the time) and not allowed to take the updated one. Is the old vaccine ineffective?

The vaccine(s) you received were at least partially effective because you didn't die, like so many people did prior to the invention and distribution of the original vaccines.  I also hope you haven't experienced long term side effects.

These vaccines are more akin to the annual flu vaccine, not the polio or measles vaccine.  They're not 99% effective, maybe wear off with time, and are changed frequently because the virus itself is changing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 7:36 AM, marylander1940 said:
On 12/12/2023 at 7:00 PM, Thelatin said:

Do you still trust PrEP or you only disagree with your Dr. when it comes to Covid-19?

I had my physical last week and was offered 5 different injections.  I asked the doctor what he recommended.  After him just looking at me blankly for a bit, I said I’ll pass on everything.

40 minutes ago, Thelatin said:

I had my physical last week and was offered 5 different injections.  I asked the doctor what he recommended.  After him just looking at me blankly for a bit, I said I’ll pass on everything.

and you trust that Doctor? 

Hopefully you don't have any preexisting conditions (by choice of lifestyle or birth) like so many Americans: obesity, asthma, age, smoking, etc. 

Edited by marylander1940

2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

Hopefully you don't have any preexisting conditions (by choice of lifestyle or birth) like so many Americans: obesity, asthma, age, smoking, etc. 

I had all the blood work done.  Checked for stds etc.  I’m very healthy - was able to reduce my high blood pressure med, my only pill.  I’m not fat, exercise, eat healthy etc. 

It is sad how so many people don’t care for their bodies.  I was at the grocery store this weekend, finding the few things to buy that won’t kill me.   It’s truly sad what I see there…

43 minutes ago, Thelatin said:

I had all the blood work done.  Checked for stds etc.  I’m very healthy - was able to reduce my high blood pressure med, my only pill.  I’m not fat, exercise, eat healthy etc. 

It is sad how so many people don’t care for their bodies.  I was at the grocery store this weekend, finding the few things to buy that won’t kill me.   It’s truly sad what I see there…

Agreed!

We are what we eat and how we live!