Can we throw the prince in jail already?

Did he learn nothing from his mother's death, that avoiding photographers is not a valid excuse for physically endangering others and becoming a public menace? I don't think he'll learn his lesson until we throw his ass in jail.

harry-meghan-nyc-1.jpg?quality=85&crop=0
TIME.COM

The 2 hour chase, which involved the paparazzi, happened after the couple attended an awards ceremony in New York.

"This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians, and two NYPD (New York Police Department) officers...". If he hasn't taken on dual citizenship, maybe we should deport his ass. What if someone got killed again? Just because you don't want your picture taken in public?

37 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

...And he needs to 'be deported' why?

Pretty obvious. It takes both the pursued and the pursuers to make a chase. When he witnessed lives being endangered, he should have told his driver to cut out the reckless driving. Most police departments instruct their officers to stop a chase, especially over minor offenses, when the public is put in danger. Why should we hold different standards for someone who just doesn't want his pictures taken (versus a real concern such as letting criminals getting away)? And I don't believe for one cotton-picking second that only the photographers were driving recklessly. This does not remove the chasers' responsibility, but the pursued doesn't need to goad them on for reasons as silly as not wanting to have photos taken. Thankfully, it sounds like no one was injured this time.

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Pretty obvious. It takes both the pursued and the pursuers to make a chase. When he witnessed lives being endangered, he should have told his driver to cut out the reckless driving. Most police departments instruct their officers to stop a chase

Note they had NYPD police with them during the chase, and ultimately pulled into a police precinct.

Sorry I blame the paparazzi more for their tactics than Harry for being famous and pursued.

49 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

Note they had NYPD police with them during the chase, and ultimately pulled into a police precinct.

Sorry I blame the paparazzi more for their tactics than Harry for being famous and pursued.

So you think the NYPD allowed this to happen over this extended chase??? That's the funniest post I've ever read in all of my decades on this forum (since it began, actually).

image.png.4503c20c8575d68c3d740317967ebe0e.png 

4 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

So you think the NYPD allowed this to happen over this extended chase??? That's the funniest post I've ever read in all of my decades on this forum (since it began, actually).

image.png.4503c20c8575d68c3d740317967ebe0e.png 

“A very small number of NYPD officers were with them when they observed multiple paparazzi following Meghan and Harry in cars, motorcycles, scooters”…

“The officers attempted some sort of evasive maneuver to get them away from the paparazzi, and in response, paparazzi on the scooters and bikes drove the sidewalk to keep up.”

Harry and Meghan's car was eventually taken to the 19th Precinct to calm the situation before they continued home.”

13259863_051723-wabc-ap-markle-prince-ha
ABC7NY.COM

There is no evidence an accident occurred, but police say there were several short stops with paparazzi...

9 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

..., paparazzi on the scooters and bikes drove the sidewalk to keep up.”

13259863_051723-wabc-ap-markle-prince-ha

ABC7NY.CO

There is no evidence an accident occurred, but police say there were several short stops with paparazzi...

So now it's bicycles involved in this "near catastrophic" chase? Are you going to look at me in the eye and tell me that if there is some "near catastrophic" chase going on, they shouldn't have just pulled over and let the police handle the situation?????? Especially when they police were apparently already there, supposedly? How you can say that with a straight face (or, as it were, Bi face😄) boggles the mind. If there were any serious injuries, it would have been from the royals' vehicles, obviously, not the scooters or bicycles.

image.png.45c5f5ed637c03216720123cf019a73c.png 

Edited by Unicorn

The taxi driver says that the "chase" took all of ten minutes.

“I don’t think I would call it a chase,” Singh said of his period driving the couple. “I never felt like I was in danger. It wasn’t like a car chase in a movie. They were quiet and seemed scared but it’s New York — it’s safe.”wapo.com

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/05/17/harry-meghan-car-crash-paparazzi/

But we know Harry and wife want publicity. They probably hired the paparazzi to "chase" them.

Supposedly, the Royal couple were driving in an attempt to lose the paparazzi in order to keep them from knowing where the royals were staying and to avoid being harassed coming and going.  Not that it would stay a secret but that is their story.  They drove for more than an hour trying to ditch the press and then went to a police station, changed cars, got into a taxi and the taxi ride was ten minutes or so.  The taxi driver does confirm that they seemed distressed and felt harassed.  So while it was not a traditional car chase by Hollywood standards, it was not an OJ chase either.  I understand they are public figures and that they at times court attention, but I believe when it comes to pictures No should mean No.  

Edited by purplekow

16 hours ago, Lucky said:

The taxi driver says that the "chase" took all of ten minutes....

I guess one can't believe what one reads in TIME magazine. Thanks for the correction. Had it been as they reported, "relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians..." then the prince's behavior would have been reprehensible and inexcusable. I find it difficult to understand how anyone could have condoned that. But it appears that the story was BS to begin with, thank goodness. And, no, when one is out in public, there is no guarantee of privacy, especially if one is a public figure (and, with all of the talk show interviews they give--I saw one on the Jimmy Kimmel show--they certainly don't do anything to avoid). 

Edited by Unicorn

Although I am not a public figure, I cannot imagine being followed for a prolonged period of time by a group of people trying to take my picture.  It has to be disturbing and in this particular case, more traumatizing in view of his mother's death.  I know I do not like standing for family pictures, but I give my consent to get them done.  Surprise photos of me eating strawberry shortcake or riding in the back of a taxi would be a definite no if asked and the cause of a family dispute if done by a family member without my permission.   I would not welcome a family member's suggestion that I move to Wyoming nor their questioning my parentage as a result of asking for a simple courtesy of accepting no for an answer. 

22 minutes ago, mike carey said:

Obviously one taxi driver's account is conclusive evidence. Yes, the details of the story are disputed, I get that. Reflexive dismissals of any version are precipitate.

image.thumb.png.7f21be42370d02c71ad3d25671ece419.png

Well, it will be interesting to see. The original version I read in TIME and elsewhere certainly seemed outrageous, if true. I suspect the taxi driver's version is closer to the truth. We're taking off at sea now, so I'll have limited access to the news. 

Edited by Unicorn

4 minutes ago, ButchAtl said:

Don't we have enough pictures of them already?   And who wants to pay any paparazzi for another one?  So, why bother at all? 

I wish I could simply un-subscribe to the Harry and Megan channel!  

I largely have.  I'm not sure why I checked out this thread.  I normally just ignore stories about them I see online.

18 hours ago, purplekow said:

Although I am not a public figure, I cannot imagine being followed for a prolonged period of time by a group of people trying to take my picture.  It has to be disturbing and in this particular case, more traumatizing in view of his mother's death.  I know I do not like standing for family pictures, but I give my consent to get them done...

Well, if you're at a relative's house, yes they do need your permission. If you're out in the street, the reality is that your consent is not required. Public figures are quite familiar with this, and often wear sunglasses and baseball caps when they don't want to be noticed. I do like to be discreet when I take pictures of some of the hunks I see on Runyon Canyon Drive on my (almost) daily walks. His mother was dead wrong when she insisted it was her right not to be photographed in public. It seems he's never unlearned the falsehood. If you're a public figure, don't cheat on your spouse in public like she did. Better yet--lead a completely blameless life like my beau and I! 😄

Serg-Bacch-by-Alessio-Ciani-376x500.jpg

sergio+baco+by+CRISMHOM+500+px.jpg

Edited by Unicorn

20 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Well, it will be interesting to see. The original version I read in TIME and elsewhere certainly seemed outrageous, if true. I suspect the taxi driver's version is closer to the truth. We're taking off at sea now, so I'll have limited access to the news. 

Indeed it will. In your extensive research you may have noted that 'precipitate' has specific meanings as a verb, a noun and an adjective, and that the adjectival meaning is not strictly related to the other two. Of course, as you say, at the moment you are all at sea, and for once literally so as well as figuratively.