Are men getting better looking?

purplekow

It seems to me that I have been seeing more and more very good looking men.  Just yesterday for example, the new security person at my job, my waiter at lunch and several shoppers at the supermarket. all caught my eye and increased by heart rate.  So is it just that as I age I appreciate men more or am I just a dirty old man.  Of course those two things are not mutually exclusive.  

1 hour ago, maninsoma said:

I doubt men are objectively getting better looking, but your reaction is changing.

I disagree .

The combination of gym culture / healthy lifestyle and the commonality of mixed ethnicity families all do contribute to a generation of men who look extremely handsome /healthy and different from past generations.

Not to say that we don't grow less picky as we get older ...but I definitely see more men who fit all my usual preferences than when I was in my 20s.

Edited by pubic_assistance

I also think our idea about what's handsome changes, influenced by popular media and advertising. We find more beauty because the influence of these is wider and stronger (more present, more engaging) now, so more people aspire to those ideals.

19 hours ago, maninsoma said:

At the same time that there is a more evident "gym culture" there is also a far greater percentage of obese people. 

I'm not so sure about that, given they started using BMI to declare people obese when muscle is heavier than fat and more people lift weights. If it were measured by bodyfat percentage it's probably higher but not at all sure it's "far" higher. 

1 hour ago, sniper said:

If it were measured by bodyfat percentage it's probably higher but not at all sure it's "far" higher

In Pennsylvania they've had to remodel many of the restaurants with booth seating because people can't fit into them anymore. 

For the rest of us who aren't obese the table seems abnormally far away from the seat now. 

Edited by pubic_assistance

2 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I'm Pennsylvania they've had to remodel many of the restaurants with booth seating because people can't fit into them anymore. 

For the rest of us who aren't obese the table seems abnormally far away from the seat now. 

Based on the sexy young men who visit the most popular Starbucks in Philadelphia the answer is WOW. Well that Starbucks is close to the Rocky Statute so some tourists as well, especially from Italy, Germany and the city of Prague

6 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

When I say Pennsylvania ( as with any State ) I am referring to the people who live outside a major metropolitan area like Philadelphia. 

New York State is vastly unlike NYC.

Pennsylvania is a different world from Philly.

Etc etc. 

Large cities attract people from all over

The counties  in Eastern Pennsylvania, including Delaware, Montgomery, Bucks are important as well.

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

The counties  in Eastern Pennsylvania, including Delaware, Montgomery, Bucks are important as well.

Ok.

Your point being ?

I simply shared an observation about how PA restaurants have shifted their seating to accommodate larger waistlines.

Which is a response to the comment about people getting more obese.

Which is a response to the question are people getting better looking .

So let's not veer into a conversation about the Demographics of Pennsylvania.

On 8/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, purplekow said:

It seems to me that I have been seeing more and more very good looking men.  Just yesterday for example, the new security person at my job, my waiter at lunch and several shoppers at the supermarket. all caught my eye and increased by heart rate.  So is it just that as I age I appreciate men more or am I just a dirty old man.  Of course those two things are not mutually exclusive.  

I have also been sensing that men seem to be more attractive and in greater numbers.  My concern is that many of them appear to be way too young to be so good-looking. 

I wouldn't want to be a high-school teacher these days.  

Has anyone other than me considered that, in today's image-consumed society, that good looking people of both sexes have far more opportunities to create good-looking children. And, less good-looking persons have fewer opportunities to procreate, so the general population is bound to get better looking each new generation? I know this sounds kinda 1930's Germany and all, but this seems rather the goal of eugenics, right?

13 minutes ago, leo2510 said:

Has anyone other than me considered that, in today's image-consumed society, that good looking people of both sexes have far more opportunities to create good-looking children. And, less good-looking persons have fewer opportunities to procreate, so the general population is bound to get better looking each new generation? I know this sounds kinda 1930's Germany and all, but this seems rather the goal of eugenics, right?

Another contributing factor may be attitude that every moment must be Instagram worthy, so more and more men are paying better attention to their grooming, clothing fit, and the like so they can pop that smile for their selfie and group photos hundreds of times throughout the day.

I think back then men were hitched a nd with kids by 30. Male appearance wasn't as prized.. Now people take care of themselves and quite a few of my straight friends have wives who outearn them. They are not shouldering the weight of the whole family on their shoulders. That is of course if they are married. We are not beasts of burden only fit to earn or wage war. I am quite liking this new era.