What is your IQ level?

vasilievnaaaa
This topic is 796 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do you think that everyone should have a high level of intelligence? Have you ever checked your IQ? Would you like to check it out? I took the test  http://iq-global-test.com/ recently and was pleasantly surprised with the result. My intelligence level is 187. Do you think I should be proud of this? I advise you to take the test too and write the results in this thread

Edited by vasilievnaaaa

I may have taken an IQ test in public school in the 60’s, but if I did, it was just a “scholastic aptitude test” and I don’t recall classmates boasting or whining about any results. If mine was above average (maybe) I can see my parents keeping things under their hat, lest one get a big head…I’m curious, but not curious enough to suffer the clickbait when searching.

The question I would ask:

Re: IQ, what do you know, and when did you know it?

🤔

One conclusion I came to after teaching at a public high school for thirty-six (36) plus years was that I.Q. scores are largely bull shit.  Students differ widely in their ability to achieve success on standardized tests.  During my teaching years I constantly heard from colleagues that student "X" though under-performing in classes was brilliant because of his/her very high I.Q. score.  On the other hand student "y"  thought high-performing in his/her classes was achieving success in spite of his/her low I.Q. score only because he/she was a workaholic.  Whether one likes it or not the single best indicator of future academic success is current GPA.   One constantly hears the cry that high school GPA's have been ridiculously inflated.  That claim is likely true but it is equally true that a student with a high high school GPA will work to meet the necessary criteria to achieve a high or acceptable GPA and the college or university level.  Colleges and universities were and are perfectly aware of this fact yet they needed and continue to need a way to limit to number of students with outstanding GPAs for whom they have places  Thus along came and comes the use of the SAT which provides college and university admission officers with an additional tool to control (limit) the number of students they admit. 

The one serious mistake that we make by totally denying the importance of I.Q. is that by doing so we might assume that all people have equal ability in all thing -- simply not true.  Example: student "A" might require one year to achieve competence in Algebra while student "B" might require two or more years to achieve the same competence as student "A".  The question then becomes is it worth the two or more years for student "B" to achieve competence in Algebra or should he or she be directed elsewhere. 

Edited by Epigonos

43 minutes ago, Epigonos said:

One conclusion I came to after teaching at a public high school for thirty-six (36) plus years was that I.Q. scores are largely bull shit.  Students differ widely in their ability to achieve success on standardized tests.  During my teaching years I constantly heard from colleagues that student "X" though under-performing in classes was brilliant because of his/her very high I.Q. score.  On the other hand student "y"  thought high-performing in his/her classes was achieving success in spite of his/her low I.Q. score only because he/she was a workaholic.  Whether one likes it or not the single best indicator of future academic success is current GPA.   One constantly hears the cry that high school GPA's have been ridiculously inflated.  That claim is likely true but it is equally true that a student with a high high school GPA will work to meet the necessary criteria to achieve a high or acceptable GPA and the college or university level.  Colleges and universities were and are perfectly aware of this fact yet they needed and continue to need a way to limit to number of students with outstanding GPAs for whom they have places  Thus along came and comes the use of the SAT which provides college and university admission officers with an additional tool to control the number of students they admit. 

The one serious mistake that we make by totally denying the importance of I.Q. is that by doing so we might assume that all people have equal ability in all thing -- simply not true.  Example: student "A" might require one year to achieve competence in Algebra while student "B" might require two or more years to achieve the same competence as student "A".  The question then becomes is it worth the two or more years for student "B" to achieve competence in Algebra or should he or she be directed elsewhere. 

A number of years ago there was a program on Canadian TV that was supposed to measure IQ.  I remember I did fairly well - in the mid-140s I think.  But my cousin's wife, who is a psychologist, mentioned that such a way of measuring would not have been standardized, and results could only be take with a grain of salt.  I don't think she meant I was higher than what I measured... hahaha

5 hours ago, Epigonos said:

The one serious mistake that we make by totally denying the importance of I.Q. is that by doing so we might assume that all people have equal ability in all thing -- simply not true.  Example: student "A" might require one year to achieve competence in Algebra while student "B" might require two or more years to achieve the same competence as student "A".  The question then becomes is it worth the two or more years for student "B" to achieve competence in Algebra or should he or she be directed elsewhere...

Albert Einstein is a good example of this. He excelled in physics and mathematics, but was weak in other areas. According to Wikipedia:
"In 1895, at the age of 16, Einstein took the entrance examinations for the Swiss Federal polytechnic school in Zürich (later the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule, ETH). He failed to reach the required standard in the general part of the examination,[30] but obtained exceptional grades in physics and mathematics." One day in the future, I suppose, there will be better ways of tailoring education and vocation to each person's unique strengths and talents. There was a 60 Minutes episodes a few months ago, in which they showed that people with Asperger's Syndrome often interview quite poorly for jobs, but can excel strongly at certain tasks, much better than those without the condition. Smart companies are able to exploit such unique talents. 

My IQ was tested when I was twelve and in order to get into a prep school for boys. I did very well, better than my two older brothers who had preceded me at the school. My parents told me, which was probably a mistake. 

Anyway, later I took the SAT to get into university and that high score weighed in my favour as my grades on graduation from high school were only fair to middling.

I took the LSAT before gaining admittance to law school and again my high score got me into the school of my choice despite my fair to middling marks from undergraduate school. I always explained my academic performance from having too many distractions at school and fully exploiting extra curricular activities while neglecting my studies. 

So I would have to say on balance I was advantaged by the system of testing aptitudes and intelligence. On the other side of the ledger, by pursuing my studies to two university degrees, I developed a life long love of learning and reading so have acquired more "education" after graduation than I ever did at school.

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Albert Einstein is a good example of this. He excelled in physics and mathematics, but was weak in other areas. According to Wikipedia:
"In 1895, at the age of 16, Einstein took the entrance examinations for the Swiss Federal polytechnic school in Zürich (later the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule, ETH). He failed to reach the required standard in the general part of the examination,[30] but obtained exceptional grades in physics and mathematics." One day in the future, I suppose, there will be better ways of tailoring education and vocation to each person's unique strengths and talents. There was a 60 Minutes episodes a few months ago, in which they showed that people with Asperger's Syndrome often interview quite poorly for jobs, but can excel strongly at certain tasks, much better than those without the condition. Smart companies are able to exploit such unique talents. 

Elon Musk has Asperger's which some people would normally correlate with low IQ - at least at face value. However, he's considered a genius by standard intelligence metrics. Dear @vasilievnaaaa I think that intelligence, as intellectual capacity, is overrated and it doesn't determine the worth of an individual because it only analyzes responses in a controlled environment but it doesn't measure the true potential of "brightness" or "genius" that an individual can have in real life, under pressure, or situations of adversity. Intelligence and Consciousness are not the same but those individuals who have them high, interconnected, and in harmony, are the ones who change the world.

Edited by lonely_john

I remember taking the Lorge-Thorndike test in 11th grade not knowing what purpose it served or what my actual results were.  Many years later I actually had to provide my high school and university transcripts as part of a job application.  When I asked the high school registrar what the Lorge-Thorndike score was she explained it was an I.Q. Score.  She indicated mine was fairly good (high 130s) and above average .  It was then and there I realized these test scores are largely bullshit.   I’m of average intelligence and really quite ordinary.  

One of my grade school teachers showed me my score - It was 134.  Many years later, just as a point of vanity, I wanted a 140 score - genius level. So I took one IQ test after another on the Internet until I scored 140 on one, then I stopped - I had my 140 IQ. I told my husband about it and he just howled.  Of course, I wouldn't go around telling anyone that I had done this, but he loves to tell the story.  It's always good for a laugh.  

12 hours ago, Beancounter said:

I remember taking the Lorge-Thorndike test in 11th grade not knowing what purpose it served or what my actual results were.  Many years later I actually had to provide my high school and university transcripts as part of a job application.  When I asked the high school registrar what the Lorge-Thorndike score was she explained it was an I.Q. Score.  She indicated mine was fairly good (high 130s) and above average .  It was then and there I realized these test scores are largely bullshit.   I’m of average intelligence and really quite ordinary.  

You might be underselling yourself.

Intelligence is a complicated subject, and very hard to measure objectively, since it is dependent on what the person who designs the test and scores it believes intelligence is. The SAT is not a true intelligence test, since its purpose is to measure what someone has learned--and retained--from what he/she has been taught. Someone with an excellent memory, determination, and good teachers of the subjects which are included on the test will always do better than anyone else. My best friend in high school and his brother both aced the SAT, while their sister never did as well because she just wasn't interested in the same subjects, but she had much better understanding of people and ability to interact with them than either of her brothers did, which to me was a more important kind of intelligence. (Full disclosure: I was an independent consultant to ETS for one of the revisions of the SAT at the beginning of this century.)

I was always considered the smartest kid in my class in elementary school, so the fifth grade teacher recommended that I skip that year and be moved directly into the sixth grade. I was never the top student in my class again, because I never managed to make up what I had lost in that critical year in math instruction ☹️.

20 hours ago, Charlie said:

Intelligence is a complicated subject, and very hard to measure objectively, since it is dependent on what the person who designs the test and scores it believes intelligence is. The SAT is not a true intelligence test, since its purpose is to measure what someone has learned--and retained--from what he/she has been taught. Someone with an excellent memory, determination, and good teachers of the subjects which are included on the test will always do better than anyone else. My best friend in high school and his brother both aced the SAT, while their sister never did as well because she just wasn't interested in the same subjects, but she had much better understanding of people and ability to interact with them than either of her brothers did, which to me was a more important kind of intelligence. (Full disclosure: I was an independent consultant to ETS for one of the revisions of the SAT at the beginning of this century.)

I was always considered the smartest kid in my class in elementary school, so the fifth grade teacher recommended that I skip that year and be moved directly into the sixth grade. I was never the top student in my class again, because I never managed to make up what I had lost in that critical year in math instruction ☹️.

I was double-promoted as well, a few months into first grade I moved into 2nd grade (along with one other classmate).  Years later we learned that they'd also wanted to promote my younger sister but they didn't want to promote two children from the same family.  The little sister still holds a grudge over that. 

Many IQ tests are administered verbally.  (Some are even designed to be administered to children before they can read.)  I recall the story of my father being administered an IQ test and the proctor presented him a 48-star US flag and asked if anything is wrong with the picture.  My father answered, "it is antiquated."  They moved on to a few more questions and realizing my father was scoring well, the proctor went back to the flag question and asked, "what did you mean by antiquated?"  The proctor was unfamiliar with the term and had marked my father's response incorrect.

Is it important to me?

Well, certainly there is a correlation between higher scores on IQ tests and success academically. I would submit that it is less correlated with life and professional success, unless the profession is one where academic success is more integral (mathematics, physics, sciences of some sort).  So as an indicator or relatively reliable predictor of potential in certain fields of work, I value it. Beyond that, as many have said, it is a measure of only some types of "intelligence." As someone - or several- have suggested above, emotional and social intelligence can be far more valuable and meaningful in navigating life and creating networks of people for success in those realms in my opinion.

I was tested by a school psychometrist in 3rd Grade to see if I was eligible for admission into classes for academically gifted. I later learned that the threshold for admittance was 120/125. Later in life I asked the Psychometrist who administered the test what my score was. He said he would never tell me because it was only a number and wasn't important. Mensa calls when it's over 140, and I never got that call! 🤣🤣🤣 So, I guess somewhere in between. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I did take one of those online tests, which I think are bunk and it said 144, which I do not believe. 

I have historically had an ability to learn things that I am taught more quickly than my peers and to excel in those circumstances, but I equate that as much to work ethic as aptitude. 

Interesting question.  It doesn't generally enter my mind, and as I mentioned above, I have found social and emotional intelligence to be of greater value in most instances. How do we measure that objectively? 

2 minutes ago, HotWhiteThirties said:

Is it important to me?

Well, certainly there is a correlation between higher scores on IQ tests and success academically. I would submit that it is less correlated with life and professional success, unless the profession is one where academic success is more integral (mathematics, physics, sciences of some sort).  So as an indicator or relatively reliable predictor of potential in certain fields of work, I value it. Beyond that, as many have said, it is a measure of only some types of "intelligence." As someone - or several- have suggested above, emotional and social intelligence can be far more valuable and meaningful in navigating life and creating networks of people for success in those realms in my opinion.

I was tested by a school psychometrist in 3rd Grade to see if I was eligible for admission into classes for academically gifted. I later learned that the threshold for admittance was 120/125. Later in life I asked the Psychometrist who administered the test what my score was. He said he would never tell me because it was only a number and wasn't important. Mensa calls when it's over 140, and I never got that call! 🤣🤣🤣 So, I guess somewhere in between. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I did take one of those online tests, which I think are bunk and it said 144, which I do not believe. 

I have historically had an ability to learn things that I am taught more quickly than my peers and to excel in those circumstances, but I equate that as much to work ethic as aptitude. 

Interesting question.  It doesn't generally enter my mind, and as I mentioned above, I have found social and emotional intelligence to be of greater value in most instances. How do we measure that objectively? 

Of course it's only numbers, but some numbers are better than others  - I would rather have 140 than 134.  In the military, everybody has a GT (general technical) score, and they relied heavily on the GT score as a screening tool.  You took the GT test at the induction center even before you were accepted into the service and it followed you throughout your military career.  I had a high GT score (I found out later), and the screening started even before I left the induction center.  A recruiting NCO asked for me by name to talk to me before I left and tried to sell me on enlisting to be a signal intelligence analyst - accelerated promotions, civilian clothes, an apartment off-base.   At the tender age of 19, they tapped me for a leadership course, and so on.  All because of that number.

I was admitted to Mensa in my early 30s but I never officially joined a meeting or paid the membership , I just keep that letter somewhere in a folder with other papers.

(I made it just barely, one point lower and I would not have that letter). 

My work experience is opposite to NYCMan: I am lazy but have done well in the corporate world because I don't need to work hard in order to perform better than most.

All I need to do to follow all the rules strictly, then either automate or delegate the work, and always meet the expectations.

23 hours ago, sam.fitzpatrick said:

Many IQ tests are administered verbally.  (Some are even designed to be administered to children before they can read.)  I recall the story of my father being administered an IQ test and the proctor presented him a 48-star US flag and asked if anything is wrong with the picture.  My father answered, "it is antiquated."  They moved on to a few more questions and realizing my father was scoring well, the proctor went back to the flag question and asked, "what did you mean by antiquated?"  The proctor was unfamiliar with the term and had marked my father's response incorrect.

Why would a dummy who didn't understand the word antiquated be in charge of administrating an intelligence test?