Grocery Surprises, What's Got Your Goat With High Price?

DR FREUD

On 1/30/2023 at 11:30 AM, pubic_assistance said:

Thus reminding us that Julia was not French but a "Mc" from Pasadena. You can take the lace curtain Irish girl out of the suburbs but you can't take the suburban out of the girl.

Who ever thought she was French?    I believe she was a clerical employee in the precursor agency to the CIA, serving in post-war France.  Her husband worked for the same agency and that is how they met.  Apparently, her government service qualified her for GI educational benefits, which she used to attend the famed French culinary school Le Cordon Bleu - an admirable job of boot-strapping, I would say. 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:45 PM, Rudynate said:

So strange - About a year ago, eggs were absurdly expensive for a brief time and sometimes the store would sell out.  But quite a while ago, the prices went back to a little more than they had been and there didn't seem to be any shortage.  

Chickens reach maturity fairly quickly so any disruption in supply can generally be resolved in a couple of months.

1 hour ago, sniper said:

Chickens reach maturity fairly quickly so any disruption in supply can generally be resolved in a couple of months.

People are still complaining about egg shortages.  I made a rare trip to the grocery store this afternoon.  A dozen and a half Vital Farms pastured eggs  was $12.00.  Considering that a dozen cost that much a few months ago, it didn't seem horrible.  We don't eat that many eggs.  That 1.5 dozen would ordinarily last for weeks, but I'm going to make a mess of deviled eggs in a couple of weeks. 

Edited by Rudynate
correction

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 7:22 AM, samhexum said:

Goat's milk, Goat cheese, Goat meat...  and Coke Zero 2-liters.

I hope goat meat's cheap, because I just read that beef is now 10 cents a pound more than during the pandemic, and will likely stay high for a couple of years due to a combination of problems within the industry.

On 11/8/2023 at 9:41 PM, samhexum said:

American supermarkets are facing a blueberry shortage after extreme heat in Peru — the largest exporter of blueberries in the world — resulted in a stingy harvest, according to reports.

On 11/8/2023 at 10:34 PM, sync said:

This week the ShopRite I use was/is totally out of eggs.

Internet postings are referencing a bird flu epidemic as the cause of a nationwide egg shortage.

I can only imagine how sky-high the cost of a dozen eggs will be when eggs again become available.

On 11/15/2023 at 4:00 PM, samhexum said:

Just picked up 1 dozen large Land o' Lakes brown eggs at ShopRite for $1.99.  Plenty of stock.

On 11/20/2023 at 8:49 PM, sync said:

Update:  Still no eggs at my local ShopRite.  ☹️

just got three pints of blueberries for $3.33 each with my grocery delivery.  at this point I'm guessing @sync's supermarket doesn't even have a dairy or produce department anymore.    :(

8 hours ago, samhexum said:

just got three pints of blueberries for $3.33 each with my grocery delivery.  at this point I'm guessing @sync's supermarket doesn't even have a dairy or produce department anymore.    :(

I think it's worse than that.  There have been news bits that Five (5) ShopRite locations are closing in the New York upstate area.

I guess it's back to Stop 'N Shop.

Life goes on, so they say.

image.png.f82f2039f94b050b28215d2a29f755f6.png

15 hours ago, samhexum said:

Wouldn't you know it?  I just got another delivery including the eggs, 2 ctns. of 18 extra large @ $5.99/ea.

"All things come to those who wait."  :classic_rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952hqbr8dj2in69e9pcnt8 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952hqbr8dj2in69e9pcnt8 

European supermarket chain Carrefour is removing PepsiCo products from store shelves due to what it says are “unacceptable” price hikes. 

It’s a problem that other major companies in the industry have taken issue with as well.

According to multiple reports, the chain, which has over 12,000 stores worldwide, started clearing PepsiCo’s Pepsi and 7 Up sodas, Lipton tea and Quaker foods, as well as its Doritos and Lays chips from shelves in France, Italy, Spain and Belgium. 

A spokesperson for the supermarket chain told The Wall Street Journal that it added warning notes on its shelves explaining the reason behind the change.

Carrefour already issued concerns about the cost of food products and added price warnings in September to pressure manufacturers to reduce their costs.

The company added labels to the products that said: “This product has seen its volume or weight fall and the effective price by the supplier rise.” 

In a recent LinkedIn post, Michel-Edouard Leclerc, the CEO of rival supermarket chain E. Leclerc, also issued public grievances over the price hikes from suppliers. 

“We must therefore convince in the coming month all these major suppliers who made the mistake of increasing their prices too much, to lower them now, or to moderate them,” Leclerc said, according to an English translation of his post. “We must return to more reasonable, more transparent, and better spread out impacts of their costs.” 

The company told the Journal that it has been in talks with Carrefour for several months and is engaging in “good faith” to try and ensure that its products remain available.

PepsiCo did not respond to a request for comment.

goat-damn-it.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A popular Reddit thread asking users to reveal which items have given them the most sticker shock in the past few years was flooded with responses from users flabbergasted by the high costs of normally affordable items amid persistent inflation.

“What item is now so expensive the price surprises you every time you buy it?” user “citizen_of_leshp” posted in “Ask Reddit,” on Sunday. By Monday afternoon, the post had received 11,000 responses in just 14 hours.

Most posters said common household items and groceries had burdened their bank accounts.

“I usually don’t brag about owning expensive things, but I just left the grocery store,” one user with the handle Actuaryba joked.

Top comments cited how the prices of instant ramen, breath mints, fruit, peanut butter, soda, bleach, razor blades and pet food had spiked at stores. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/5/2021 at 9:00 PM, Gadfly22 said:

Price of dairy is coming down around here. I went to Aldi this past weekend and got a pint of whipping cream for $1.25, a dozen eggs for $0.70 and a pound of butter for $1.59. Guess global warming hasn’t reached us yet in NJ. 😝

On 10/5/2021 at 10:53 PM, Deadlift1 said:

Most of Aldi beef and chicken is grass fed hormone free too.  Good place for chocolate too.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:49 PM, tassojunior said:

Aldi, Lidl and Wal-Mart are amazingly cheaper for groceries.

My favorite at Aldi and Lidl are their big 49 cent avocados and all 3's $1.33 12-grain bread that's $5 everywhere else. 

Aldi reveals big grocery price change — here’s how it will affect customers

Aldi, already known for its low prices, announced that it will lower the cost of more than 250 products.

The store’s price reductions will ultimately result in an estimated $100 million in savings for Americans through Labor Day.

Aldi’s cost reductions will be applied to seasonal items such as picnic necessities, BBQ essentials, travel-ready snacks and better-for-you foods, per the press release.