Grocery Surprises, What's Got Your Goat With High Price?

DR FREUD

6 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

One memory that sticks out in my mind, is shoveling the various discarded bits of ears, nose, penis and feet into a garbage bin and tossing that into a grinder for hot dogs. 🤢 You couldn't pay me to eat a hot dog to this day.

You should try Hebrew National.  They have to answer to an even Higher Authority, you know...

I never saw this ad before.  I think it's cute.

23 hours ago, samhexum said:

You should try Hebrew National.  They have to answer to an even Higher Authority, you know...

I never saw this ad before.  I think it's cute.

Doesn't Kosher just mean the cattle died without suffering ?

I doubt they are using prime parts to make hotdogs.

Hot dogs are cheap because they're made will all the scraps that no human would otherwise consume

27 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Doesn't Kosher just mean the cattle died without suffering ?

I doubt they are using prime parts to make hotdogs.

Hot dogs are cheap because they're made will all the scraps that no human would otherwise consume

I don't think so.  Not suffering doesn't seem to be part of the Hebrew brand

"Remember That We Suffered":

https://youtu.be/iLNa-ocdryY

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

Here are some of the laws of kosher slaughter: Jewish law is concerned with not causing pain to the animal so the knife used must be perfectly sharp and must be operated in a very fast, continuous cutting motion that quickly severs the vital parts of the animal’s organs for minimal pain. It is impermissible to make a cut, such as chopping off a limb, that does not immediately kill the animal.

22 minutes ago, bashful said:

Notice a lot of the ice cream "pint" containers have gone from 16 oz. down to 14 oz.

That happened a long time ago.  A pint of Haagen Dazs hasn't been a pint for years.

I am glad Stop and Shop rainchecks never expire, as I have cashed in a couple for Coke for $10/10, which they haven't been for awhile.  I think the rainchecks were from 2015 & 2019.  I have a couple more.

I have one from CVS for 99 cents apiece for 10.  They don't expire, either.   That one is from 2019.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

14 minutes ago, samhexum said:

That happened a long time ago.  A pint of Haagen Dazs hasn't been a pint for years.

Shows you how much I pay attention while shopping.  I only noticed since I began using the "MELT/SOFTEN" setting on my new microwave.  Talenti was great. Haagen Dazs was softer.  Checked the measurement, and it was smaller.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2022 at 5:24 PM, augustus said:

Go to Costco for a hot dog and large soda at $1.50.  Together!  They haven't raised the price on this for 25 years.

On 9/24/2022 at 1:15 AM, samhexum said:

A top Costco Wholesale executive confirmed the big-box retailer has no plans to change the price of its $1.50 hot dog-and-soda combo at its stores despite months of decades-high inflation.

On 9/24/2022 at 10:08 AM, pubic_assistance said:

You couldn't pay me to eat a hot dog to this day.

On 9/24/2022 at 12:54 PM, MikeBiDude said:

I’d challenge you to find a hot dog product today in the USA with that offal. 

On 9/24/2022 at 1:46 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

No, but they've stopped using sesame seed rolls and switched from Coke to Pepsi.   Yuck!  I wish they would have just raised prices instead! And... They stopped offering onions and sour krout.  So inflation is indeed real.  If someone is not raising prices, then they're cutting size or service.

Hot dog wars! Sam’s Club undercuts Costco with $1.38 deal for franks and soda combo

Let the hot dog and soda wars commence.

Sam’s Club, the membership-only wholesale retailer owned by Walmart, is cutting the price of its hot dog and soda combination by 12 cents — from $1.50 to $1.38.

The move undercuts Costco’s price of $1.50 for its hot dog and soda deal.

In order to cope with inflation, Sam’s Club says it will raise prices on higher-end items such as rack of lamb and lobster tails while keeping the costs of Thanksgiving staples the same.

54 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Sam’s Club, the membership-only wholesale retailer owned by Walmart, is cutting the price of its hot dog and soda combination by 12 cents — from $1.50 to $1.38.

In order to cope with inflation, Sam’s Club says it will raise prices on higher-end items such as rack of lamb and lobster tails while keeping the costs of Thanksgiving staples the same.

Fantastic news for the common folks.  Let it be subsidized by the lamb and lobster people.

On 11/15/2022 at 12:29 PM, samhexum said:

In order to cope with inflation, Sam’s Club says it will raise prices on higher-end items such as rack of lamb and lobster tails...

Raising the price of lobster tails and rack of lamb so that the hoi polloi can enjoy cheap hot dogs and soda? Now what will my beau and I have to eat? Now that's class warfare! 😄

image.jpeg.7af43d5d5ee5d04626884d5e3ed14f2f.jpeg

Edited by Unicorn

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, Deadlift1 said:

I now shop at Aldi and Lidl.  Lidl has it's own Bakery pumping out artisan breads and pretzel rolls.  Inexpensive.  The bread gets sliced in front of you

On 10/5/2021 at 10:49 PM, tassojunior said:

Aldi, Lidl and Wal-Mart are amazingly cheaper for groceries.

My favorite at Aldi and Lidl are their big 49 cent avocados and all 3's $1.33 12-grain bread that's $5 everywhere else. 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:37 PM, LIguy said:

i have several supermarkets within a 2-3 mile radius around me so i think they get competitive pricewise....been to the Lidl twice and they had very little of the sale items and i found it to be like an upscale dollar store....

A chocolate advent calendar sold at Lidl grocery stores as recently as Monday is under voluntary recall over concerns it may be contaminated with salmonella, the Food and Drug Administration announced this week.

Lidl — which operates more than 170 stores across nine East Coast states and Washington, D.C. — says the issue was discovered during routine testing of its 8.4 ounce Favorina-branded advent calendar (premium chocolate with a creamy filling).

The affected calendars, sold between Oct. 12 and Dec. 5, have a 2023 “best if used by” date and a barcode number of 4056489516965. 

spacer.png

On 9/30/2021 at 12:46 AM, BnaC said:

An interesting observation:

- for about 3 years, I’ve been exclusively an Instacart shopper

- in my area, Kroger and Publix are the two biggest national chains

- one day I made my list for Publix delivery and decided to take the list to Kroger instead and shop myself

- almost every item was 10% to 30% cheaper at Kroger.  
- Publix has fewer bare shelves, but Kroger was meaningfully cheaper.  Let’s not even get me on the topic of Whole Foods.  And to my surprise, the best fruits and vegetables come from WalMart.  

In the Bay area, Lucky's advertises on Instacart that it offers store pricing for Instacart shoppers. Safeway doesn't offer store pricing and charges significantly more.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:30 PM, bashful said:

Shows you how much I pay attention while shopping.  I only noticed since I began using the "MELT/SOFTEN" setting on my new microwave.  Talenti was great. Haagen Dazs was softer.  Checked the measurement, and it was smaller.

Nuke hard ice cream for 15 seconds - its just right.  Scoops easily, but not at all melted.

3 hours ago, Rudynate said:

In the Bay area, Lucky's advertises on Instacart that it offers store pricing for Instacart shoppers. Safeway doesn't offer store pricing and charges significantly more.

Interesting.  Using Instacart, I went through the process of making a list and then shopping the list at the store.  Prices were 100% the same

On 9/24/2022 at 7:08 AM, pubic_assistance said:

Being the child of a family who's relatives raised beef cattle; we were expected to help out on their farm over the summer. One memory that sticks out in my mind, is shoveling the various discarded bits of ears, nose, penis and feet into a garbage bin and tossing that into a grinder for hot dogs. 🤢 You couldn't pay me to eat a hot dog to this day.

They slaughtered and butchered the animals right on the farm? Unusual.

24 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Why ?

The goods needed to arrive at market butchered and ready for sale early in the morning. The market house was open for business at 7:00 am 

You're describing a boutique-scale vertically-integrated process for getting the beef to market while it is very fresh.  And I don't doubt that that happened at your relatives' family farm.  The conventional process is a large-scale, horizontally-integrated process in which the farmer raises the cows, they go to a feed lot for finishing, then to slaughter, then to be butcher and, finally, to market.

39 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Why ?

The goods needed to arrive at market butchered and ready for sale early in the morning. The market house was open for business at 7:00 am 

I also don't eat hot dogs.  It has never bothered me that they are made from scrap but it does bother me that they are mostly fat and salt

12 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

You're describing a boutique-scale vertically-integrated process for getting the beef to market while it is very fresh.  

Correct.

My family is Pennsylvania Deitsch.

Very few old-school operations like that anymore. 

My Cousins don't run the farm that way anymore. As you described, they now raise the cattle and sell them to butchers.

5 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

My Cousins don't run the farm that way anymore. As you described, they now raise the cattle and sell them to butchers.

What a pity.  It seems like an excellent way to have disposed of a body if they had any disputes with neighbors.