Grocery Surprises, What's Got Your Goat With High Price?

DR FREUD

• 3 weeks later...

I think these women would say EVERYTHING!

The Orange Police Department is searching for a group of five women who allegedly stole a safe with $9,000 inside it from a grocery store last week. 

Some of the women distracted employees at the store while others snuck to the back and heaved the safe into a grocery cart. 

The women then appear to calmly walk out of the store with a blanket or some other fabric covering the safe. 

“This is heartbreaking, especially during this holiday season. I hope these women are caught, jailed, and held to answer for their felonious crimes,” Orange Police Chief Dan Adams said in a statement. 

The theft happened at about 11 a.m. on Dec. 17 at a family business in Orange, a city about 30 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. 

Orange is about 30 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. 

https://nypost.com/2022/12/25/california-women-steal-safe-with-9k-inside-from-grocery-store-in-brazen-theft/

In case you didn't notice, food prices are skyrocketing around the world. There are shortages caused by several factors, including the war in Ukraine, drought or water shortages in several continents, increased costs of shipping because of higher energy prices, diseases in birds affecting farm raised fowls and other issues such as the pandemic and wars.

As for the bags, they're trying to discourage single use plastic bags because they are polluting the world. 

You should try to educate yourself about these issues rather than just bitching about them.

1 minute ago, pubic_assistance said:

My impression is that Covid Panic has had far more effect on shortages than anything else.

That has faded but the war in Ukraine is causing serious shortages in grains that world markets depended on. That is why the price of grain based foods has increased more than 15 percent this last year in many places, Canada included, even though we are a major producer of wheat.

38 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

That has faded but the war in Ukraine is causing serious shortages in grains that world markets depended on. That is why the price of grain based foods has increased more than 15 percent this last year in many places, Canada included, even though we are a major producer of wheat.

Yes!

Grain, and cooking oil increases due to Ukrainian wheat and sunflower oil supply shutoff. 

Eggs, massive avian flu outbreak and fresh chicken to some degree.

42 minutes ago, Jakeenct said:

EGGS!!  Fuckin chickens probably have their own condo.

I was pretty horrified to see eggs for $5.99/dozen before Christmas.  I thought for sure that price had to be for free-range or organic, but nope, just regular old eggs.  Apparently a bird flu has killed millions of chickens, causing a severe egg shortage.  I was going to make my own eggnog this year (love a boozy eggnog!) but once I saw those prices, I shelved my eggnog experiment until Christmas 2023.

8 hours ago, Milo Janus said:

You want to know what gets my goat grocery shoppping?  Two things:  In California paying $.25/bag if you don't bring your own bags (!), and higher prices even though the store has less staff and more self-check out!  Corporate fucking greed!

I'm pretty sure California law requires grocery shops to charge for bags. There's a mandated minimum but like everything they sell, it's a product and they set the price. You don't have to buy them.

4 minutes ago, mike carey said:

I'm pretty sure California law requires grocery shops to charge for bags. There's a mandated minimum but like everything they sell, it's a product and they set the price. You don't have to buy them.

Bags are and have been a product of doing business since the first grocery store.  It's all part of their overhead and has been until a few years when they started with a dime per bag.  All this is is a tax grab by the State of California as the money collected goes to them!  What next we rent our shopping cart by the hour?

2 hours ago, BSR said:

I was pretty horrified to see eggs for $5.99/dozen before Christmas.  I thought for sure that price had to be for free-range or organic, but nope, just regular old eggs.  Apparently a bird flu has killed millions of chickens, causing a severe egg shortage.  I was going to make my own eggnog this year (love a boozy eggnog!) but once I saw those prices, I shelved my eggnog experiment until Christmas 2023.

Thanks for reminding me to buy egg nog while it’s still in stock. I don’t know how to make it! 

11 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Ummm. What planet are YOU living on ?

Covid delays affect every aspect of my business.

I could have been more clear that I was referring to food shortages and not general shortages caused by the pandemic. The supply issues for food caused by the pandemic were addressed early on at least in Canada, which relies on a lot of imported food not grown in our climate.

The restrictions put in place for other goods did not apply for food shipments and there were relatively few disruptions that I can recall. The food aisles on my supermarket were never empty whereas toilet paper and other items had disappeared in 2020.

Things are more or less back to normal. Even cars are starting to appear on the dealers' lots in town. And building supplies are back.

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

IEven cars are starting to appear on the dealers' lots in town.

I was at a car dealer yesterday, and the manager said that customers who normally lease the same model every three years are being told that the dealer can't can't get their favorite models this year, because they are waiting up to 8 months for supply of some popular models. Another dealer told me they have a long backlog on orders for hybrids.

18 hours ago, mike carey said:

You're right about that. The mandated charge is 10 cents a bag. It goes to the grocery store and is NOT a tax (not going to the government). I use grocery stores' biodegradable paper bags and don't mind paying the 10 cents. If the store charged 25 cents, I'd go elsewhere. 

https://calrecycle.ca.gov/plastics/carryoutbags/

"...As a result, SB 270 is in effect and most grocery stores, retail stores with a pharmacy, convenience stores, food marts, and liquor stores will no longer be able to provide single-use plastic carryout bags to their customers. Instead, these stores may provide a reusable grocery bag or recycled paper bag to a customer at the point of sale at a charge of at least 10 cents...". 

This charge was put up to the voters, who passed the law themselves (not passed by the legislature). 

19 hours ago, BSR said:

It's interesting that pasture-raised eggs are selling about the same $6/dozen as the indoor eggs. I guess the pasture-raised hens don't spread as much bird flu as those which are cooped up! 😊

8 Things You Need To Keep Out Of The Chicken Coop - Hobby Farms

In Central PA people kept their own chickens for eggs. I remember when they started the sanitation laws that made this illegal unless you were a licensed farm. People thought this was an affront to their culture. Maybe they were right to protest. My grandparents chickens were certainly cared for far better than any factory farm.

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

It's interesting that pasture-raised eggs are selling about the same $6/dozen as the indoor eggs. I guess the pasture-raised hens don't spread as much bird flu as those which are cooped up! 😊

8 Things You Need To Keep Out Of The Chicken Coop - Hobby Farms

Not at my local Kroger ... when regular eggs were $6/dozen, organic free-range eggs were *coughsputtergasp* $8!!  Maybe after the holidays once people stop baking Christmas cookies and making eggnog, eggs will go down to a semi-reasonable price.

On 12/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, BSR said:

I think I paid almost $8.00 for a carton of organic Vital Farms large brown eggs the other day north of Seattle. I’ve always eaten eggs for breakfast so I console myself by thinking how expensive eating out would be with a serving of white eggs.

I use Organic Valley heavy whipping cream in my dark roast coffee every morning. The price often varied widely in the past, ranging from 2.99 to 4.25, depending on the local store. Now the usually most expensive upscale store sells it for $4.59 while the previously cheaper other stores have it priced at over $6.00. Crazy.