Grocery Surprises, What's Got Your Goat With High Price?

DR FREUD

1 hour ago, KrisParr said:

Kroger’s online app has their brand large eggs for $2.59 a dozen ; Egglands best large are $5.49   - hmmmm, let me think about this.  Decisions, decisions.

Talk about Kroger. Oddly enough, since the Covid inflation set in, Kroger has been the only store where I can find somewhat lower prices on eggs and butter. I lament, though, that the Kroger digital coupons no longer seem to offer discounts on any real food items that one might want to buy. For the past month or so, the only digital coupons were for batteries, toothbrushes, deodorants. Real groceries don't seem to be discounted much any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Grocery stores want to reward their regular customers, or so they say. But at my market, Von's, they had member prices such as $7.99 for a 12 pack of Coke. That's the member price! And you had to buy three to get it. I didn't.

My favorite pasta has been a dollar lower with the member card, but today they raised the price a dollar. I don't feel rewarded.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 5:24 PM, augustus said:

Go to Costco for a hot dog and large soda at $1.50.  Together!  They haven't raised the price on this for 25 years.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:52 PM, Epigonos said:

Costco has also not changed the $4.99 price of their huge rotisserie chickens. 

On 9/24/2022 at 1:15 AM, samhexum said:

A top Costco Wholesale executive confirmed the big-box retailer has no plans to change the price of its $1.50 hot dog-and-soda combo at its stores despite months of decades-high inflation.

On 9/24/2022 at 10:08 AM, pubic_assistance said:

You couldn't pay me to eat a hot dog to this day.

On 9/24/2022 at 1:46 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

they've stopped using sesame seed rolls and switched from Coke to Pepsi.   Yuck!  I wish they would have just raised prices instead! And... They stopped offering onions and sour krout.  So inflation is indeed real.  If someone is not raising prices, then they're cutting size or service.

I just read that Julia Child loved Costco and their hot dogs and would have one every time she shopped there.  

Bon Appetit!

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

I just read that Julia Child loved Costco and their hot dogs and would have one every time she shopped there.  

Thus reminding us that Julia was not French but a "Mc" from Pasadena. You can take the lace curtain Irish girl out of the suburbs but you can't take the suburban out of the girl.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 7:02 AM, DR FREUD said:

Grocery Surprises, What's Got Your Goat With High Price?

Whatever's at Target, I guess...

It sounds like the beginning of a joke — “Two goats and a Great Dane walked into a Target … ” — but this story is for real.

Target shoppers in Harris County, Texas, were joined recently by some unexpected visitors.

On Feb. 8, two goats and a Great Dane were seen walking down the road close by and into the Target parking lot near Cypress Wood and I-45, Mark Herman, constable with Harris County Precinct 4, told Fox News Digital.

Witnesses told the constable the goats and dog separated from each other by the time the goats entered the Target unaccompanied by their fellow furry friend.

A citizen and an employee, teaming up, corralled the goats into the entryway of the target between the exterior entry and the doors into the store. The goats were cooperative and did not put up a fight.

“Believe it or not, these goats were well groomed,” Constable Herman said.

“It was very clear to us they were someone’s pets … We feel like they belonged to somebody.”

Two goats and a Great Dane managed to wander into a Target in Harris County, Texas earlier this month.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that the eggs which are labeled "cage-free" have almost risen in price to those of "Pasture-raised" here in LA. A dozen cost $6 for cage-free, and $7 for pasture-raised. I guess the bird flu didn't hit as hard for birds which were allowed to go outside:

Why isn't “cage-free” good enough? | Red Gate Grocer

Know Your Chicken | Green Acres Family Farmstead, LLC

Edited by Unicorn

Beyond the items like eggs, meats, poultry that have shot up in price, what irks me are the prices on other items that as long as I can remember were always cheap, usually no-name or store brand, and for me anyone, things I’d pick up to have in the cabinet or the fridge as back up or when I’m in the mood. 

Examples: 
• Pasta - a 1 lb bag (all genres) used to be $.99, now they go for just shy of $2
• Beans - canned black or kidney beans were $.99 to $1.50, now they start at $2
• Cream Cheese - single bar used to be $1, now $1.99
• Iceberg lettuce - $2.99 a head!!
• Potatoes - $5.49 for a 5lb bag 
• Onions - $2.29 for a 2lb bag 
• Frozen Veg - $3 for a small bag 
Don’t even get me started on fresh fruit! 

I get it’s not as huge an increase as some other items, still I can grumble as I check out, and wonder how my one bag contains $70 worth of groceries. 

On 9/28/2022 at 8:30 PM, bashful said:

Shows you how much I pay attention while shopping.  I only noticed since I began using the "MELT/SOFTEN" setting on my new microwave.  Talenti was great. Haagen Dazs was softer.  Checked the measurement, and it was smaller.

Plus the Haagen Dazs flavors have changed in taste.  They don't tend to be as lusciously rich; thus I try NOT to buy, for I do not enjoy the taste as much as I did in the past.

On 2/28/2023 at 12:16 AM, Unicorn said:

It's interesting that the eggs which are labeled "cage-free" have almost risen in price to those of "Pasture-raised" here in LA. A dozen cost $6 for cage-free, and $7 for pasture-raised. I guess the bird flu didn't hit as hard for birds which were allowed to go outside:

Why isn't “cage-free” good enough? | Red Gate Grocer

Know Your Chicken | Green Acres Family Farmstead, LLC

I get pasture-raised. Factory farming is an abomination. 

I paid 7.99 for a dozen Vital Farms eggs yesterday. I bought two packs of Vital Farms butter since they were $1.29 off. Organic Valley heavy cream was under $5 for a change. I really haven’t changed my buying habits over the past year. I figure I’m just buying for one and eat a clean diet for the most part, so what choice do I have? I was surprised on my last trip to Whole Foods how reasonable some of their food was.

my bellwether is Spindrift sparkling water, the only one I really like. It can be 8.59 at my local “healthy” food market and 6.49 at TJ’s. This week Publix had a two for one deal, so I stocked up.

4 hours ago, Pensant said:

I paid 7.99 for a dozen Vital Farms eggs yesterday. I bought two packs of Vital Farms butter since they were $1.29 off. Organic Valley heavy cream was under $5 for a change. I really haven’t changed my buying habits over the past year. I figure I’m just buying for one and eat a clean diet for the most part, so what choice do I have? I was surprised on my last trip to Whole Foods how reasonable some of their food was.

my bellwether is Spindrift sparkling water, the only one I really like. It can be 8.59 at my local “healthy” food market and 6.49 at TJ’s. This week Publix had a two for one deal, so I stocked up.

Just what I have found -- Whole Foods is more affordable than you would think.  Another thing I have noticed is that the worst price inflation is in mass-market groceries.  Prices in the upscale market were already high and haven't gone up so much.  I'm mostly homebound at the moment because of my autoimmune problem, so I still get groceries delivered.  Groceries from Whole Foods don't actually cost much more than groceries from Lucky.  Groceries from Safeway are absurd because their online prices are higher than store prices and then they add on the service charges, etc. 

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

I always remember a guy I knew in high school.  His family had just moved to the US from Scotland.  I was asking him about scot/scottish/scotch and he said, in a rather arch tone, "I am a Scot."

Right as far as that goes. But he was also Scottish and Scotch. 😉

3 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Which reminds me of Scotch eggs. Haven't had them in ages. My mother was Scotch. She would be proud of me because I get my eggs at a nearby farm and pay $2.50 a dozen, ungraded. So they come in all sizes and brown or white. Only days old so fresh as can be.

47 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I think it is important to call somebody what they want they want to be called, rather than trotting out the Oxford English Dictionary to show them that they are wrong to want to be called that.  

I was always taught “Scotch” meant something from Scotland (ie; Scotch whisky, Scotch pine, Scotch egg, etc.), whereas “Scottish” or “Scot” meant someone from Scotland. Although Scottish can also mean something from Scotland, (ie; Scottish shortbread, Scottish tweed), Scot is singularly used, as far I am aware, to refer to a person from Scotland. 

BBD