READ ME: Message Forum Moved to New Server

Orin
This topic is 1090 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Early this morning, something happened at the hosting company, and the site fell through a wormhole. I'd been talking with @RadioRob about it yesterday, and contacted him. For most of the day, he's been busy rescuing the site. Since he couldn't get it to work on the old server, he copied it to another one, and set up a new URL, M4M-forum.org to point to it. Now that it's working in its new home, the old site re-directs to the new one, where you should be now. Please bookmark the new URL.

Once we have updated the DNS entries for the old site's URL to point to the new server, the redirect will no longer be needed and the old server can be relinquished. There is other work to do for moving the review site.

All of this means that it is time to decide who will own and run this place.

Edited by Orin

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're lucky in that we were able to save EVERYTHING. Thanks to the work of Orin and "Team Washington", they were able to get root level access to the server. That allowed me to export the entire forum entirely as-is and move it to a new server.

I have not had a chance to export other sites such as the review site. I'll attempt to work on that later.

Thank you Orin and RadioRob for your time and resources to keep the site running. Not an IT guy, will there be any issues moving from a .net to a .org regarding security and big brother?

Anton

Absolutely not. In terms of access, there is nothing different in terms of security or in terms of what big brother can see/do. We'll eventually have both domains. But for now, until we get control of DNS, I have a redirect in place on Daddy's server to push everyone over here. Once we have control of m4m-forum.org's DNS itself, I can have it come directly here.

Eventually both domains will just work equally with no difference.

Early this morning, something happened at the hosting company, and the site fell through a wormhole. I'd been talking with @RadioRob about it yesterday, and contacted him. For most of the day, he's been busy rescuing the site. Since he couldn't get it to work on the old server, he copied it to another one, and set up a new URL, M4M-forum.org to point to it. Now that it's working in its new home, the old site re-directs to the new one, where you should be now. Please bookmark the new URL.

Once we have updated the DNS entries for the old site's URL to point to the new server, the redirect will no longer be needed and the old server can be relinquished. There is other work to do for moving the review site.

I looked at various parts of this new incarnation of the forum. Everything I looked at seems intact the way it was using the other site address.

I find it astonishing that you were able to make the transition so quickly and without any apparent issues.

Thank you very much.

Job well done.

I know you guys have been thanked but I will be sending a check along with my thanks. I ask that anyone who has not done that to put your money where you thanks are.

I know you guys have been thanked but I will be sending a check along with my thanks. I ask that anyone who has not done that to put your money where you thanks are.

Please don't send a check to Bill's post box. We may not be able to get it. If the money is to support this operation, then perhaps dropping it in the GoFundMe is a better idea. (Unless you want to send Deb and me a check directly; in that case message me.)