READ ME: Message Forum Moved to New Server

Orin
This topic is 1100 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When Lucky told me first thing this morning that the site had disappeared with no explanation, I wondered what to do with my day. So I did some chores, shopped for essentials, changed the beds, did three loads of laundry, watched some TV, and finally finished all the work on my taxes. All the while I had a kind of empty feeling in my stomach, which wasn't assuaged by going to a neighbor's home for drinks and dinner. Would I have to get through tomorrow, and the next day and the next, with the same kinds of mundane activities? When I got home this evening, opened my email, and found the message from Lucky that the site was back, a weight was lifted from my spirit: one of the most dependable pleasures of my daily routine had been restored!

Thank you, RadioRob and Orin?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heartfelt thanks to @Orin and @RadioRob for the phoenix act on the site. The lights went out at 8pm Monday my time so I didn't have @Charlie's problem of finding a full day of mundane tasks to do, only an evening of having to watch TV undistracted. I share the profound relief others have shared in this thread.

Early this morning, something happened at the hosting company, and the site fell through a wormhole.

When I got my first COVID vaccine shot last week I posted that I never felt so good just being part of the herd.

I guess for the first time in my life I have to say it's never been so great to feel like a worm. ;)

giphy.gif

Remembering Daddy

I'm posting again the link to the donation website.

We already exceeded our initial goal. A number of people gave over the last 24 hours.

@RadioRob and @Coolwave35 have been and plan to be generous with their time and money and technological wisdom. That may cover all or much of what's needed once we are in a safe harbor. But what seems clear to me and others have mentioned as well is that we still have a lot of work ahead of us to put two websites on a secure technical, financial, legal, and political footing. Some of that will be volunteer, but some will require paying for services - like lawyers. So for all of you who, like me, are grateful for still being here, now is a particularly good time to invest in the future of our community. And if you've already given, please give again. The very good news is it seems like it won't be your last chance. ;)

Is there anyway we can set up a status site? Somewhere the administrators could post info about this site if it goes down for some reason?

What we did this time was post a new READ ME thread, and pinned it. But that's only in one forum. Not everyone looks here.

Is there any way we can set up a status site? Somewhere the administrators could post info about this site if it goes down for some reason?

That's a great idea. I belong to several other sites that have "emergency" sites on Discord so people can check in. Perhaps something like that?

When Lucky told me first thing this morning that the site had disappeared with no explanation, I wondered what to do with my day. So I did some chores, shopped for essentials, changed the beds, did three loads of laundry, watched some TV, and finally finished all the work on my taxes. All the while I had a kind of empty feeling in my stomach, which wasn't assuaged by going to a neighbor's home for drinks and dinner. Would I have to get through tomorrow, and the next day and the next, with the same kinds of mundane activities? When I got home this evening, opened my email, and found the message from Lucky that the site was back, a weight was lifted from my spirit: one of the most dependable pleasures of my daily routine had been restored!

Thank you, RadioRob and Orin?

I’ve been feeling the same way since the site went off my screen. I only tried it this evening after 2 days being blank and it was back as if it had never been away, except for Orin’s explanation. All I had to do was login again and my email and password sufficed.

Great to see everyone is still around.

Isolated and distraught through the pandemic, this forum became my refuge. Although I do not know anyone in person, just reading through comments, discussions gave me a feeling of being connected with a community. When the site disappeared for a day, I missed a heartbeat. Like I lost someone to the pandemic. So glad we are back now. Heartfelt thanks to those who made it happen.

@RadioRob I'd like to clarify and translate (for the non-technical) the state of the forum site.

If I'm understanding your post(s) correctly, at this point we have copied the entire site contents - to another server which means we are no longer dependant on the site hosted in Atlanta, or the computers in Bill's apartment for the site content, for all intents and purposes the old site+content is "dead".

Do you have backups in place for the new server/site?

The only remaining technical dependency we have on the vestiges of Bill is the DNS, that is the subscription we pay to "own" the name www.message-forum.org and have that name (URL) point to a specific IP address (the internet address where the site is located)?

The NEW site was set up with the DNS (URL) www.M4M-forum.org. For now, if people try to access the OLD URL www.message-forum.org, it "redirects" users to the NEW URL/IP Address (This is the internet equivalent of mail forwarding at the post office, except it happens instantly).

If we lose access or rights, or our subscription expires to the OLD www.message-forum.org URL, we lose the redirect (mail forwarding) and the OLD URL would lead people to a "dead end" with no direction where the site now lives.

I think we should make a strong push for people to save (and start using) the NEW URL www.M4M-forum.org in case we lose access to the OLD one. Is it possible to put up a page when ppl access the OLD URL www.message-forum.org saying "this site has moved to www.M4M-forum.org, please bookmark this this URL to access this site in the future" .... click here to access NEW site at www.M4M-forum.org?

LMK if I have the details here correct (or not), thanks for all you are doing!

Jack