What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

On 7/6/2023 at 12:25 PM, Charlie said:

I remember going to a drive-in theater with my parents in the 1950s. There was a heavy speaker that one connected to the inside of the car's side window for the audio.

I've lived 76 years and counting and still never been to a drive-in movie. I think growing up in Montreal when it was a heavily Catholic city influenced the city fathers to discourage them.

On 6/8/2021 at 11:39 PM, FreshFluff said:

The Education Edition:

The pre-recentering SAT. A perfect score was so rare that local media covered kids who aced it  

TI-86 computer

Metal jungle gym equipment and slides

Lax underage drinking laws  

The first time someone came out to me (and a group of others) was pre-orientation week in college. It felt like a big deal. 

Education edition, part 2:

When colleges would accept the ACT instead of the SAT.

On 6/8/2021 at 11:39 PM, FreshFluff said:

The Education Edition:

The pre-recentering SAT. A perfect score was so rare that local media covered kids who aced it  

My best friend was the #1 ranked kid in our high school class, but it was his younger brother who was the only person in our school ever to get a perfect score on the SAT. IMHO, their sister was actually the smartest member of the family, but she never excelled scholastically. When ETS asked me to help revise the SAT in the 1990s, it was one of the most frustrating tasks I've ever had.

On 7/8/2023 at 6:12 PM, Luv2play said:

I've lived 76 years and counting and still never been to a drive-in movie. I think growing up in Montreal when it was a heavily Catholic city influenced the city fathers to discourage them.

You'd think that the Catholic Church would have been thrilled with so many ejaculations at the drive-ins.

Ejaculatory prayer
In Christian piety, an ejaculation, sometimes known as ejaculatory prayer or aspiration, is "a short prayer, in which the mind is directed to God, on any emergency." "A sigh, a devout aspiration, a holy ejaculation, will oftener pierce the sky, and reach the ear of Omnipotence, than a long set exercise of prayer...".Wikipedia

On 7/8/2023 at 6:12 PM, Luv2play said:

It probably had more to do with Montreal not being suited for Drive-Ins main two requirements:

1. Warm summer nights

2. Cheap land

2 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

It probably had more to do with Montreal not being suited for Drive-Ins main two requirements:

1. Warm summer nights

2. Cheap land

Actually Montreal has plenty of warm summer evenings and back in the day there was lots of relatively cheap land on the island of Montreal in the new burbs which sprung up after WWII.

6 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Actually Montreal has plenty of warm summer evenings and back in the day there was lots of relatively cheap land on the island of Montreal in the new burbs which sprung up after WWII.

image.jpg
MONTREAL.CTVNEWS.CA

A man froze to death overnight on Saturday just steps from a downtown Montreal shelter where he’d been keeping warm. Public Health had banned the shelter...

"MONTREAL -- A man froze to death overnight on Saturday just steps from the downtown Montreal shelter where he’d been keeping warm. Now that shelter’s staff is speaking out against Quebec’s current regime of public health rules, which had forced them to kick the man out at night even when there were beds available. Montreal authorities say they had been trying to reopen the shelter at night, even if that didn't happen in time...."

Define "plenty"... How many days a year is that?

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, mike carey said:

More than one.

I suspect though, that the day is rarely in January, which as I have known all my life is when summer holidays fall.

I don't see how a large space like a drive-in theater can stay in business if there are only a few weeks a year in which the evening air is warm enough for drive-ins. Simply "more than one" won't cut it.

Edited by Unicorn

1 minute ago, Unicorn said:

I don't see how a large space like a drive-in theater can stay in business if there are only a few weeks a year in which the evening air is warm enough for drive-ins. Simply "more than one" won't cut it.

It was a joke.

Back in the day, when there were two drive-ins in Canberra, where the temperature can quickly drop to zero (32F) after sunset in winter, they had heaters to hang on the car window as well as the speaker.

20 minutes ago, mike carey said:

... the temperature can quickly drop to zero (32F) after sunset in winter...

Why do I get the feeling you've never been to icy kingdom of the North from October 16-April 30? A freezing/melting temperature at sunset would be considered a rare blessing. 🥶

Frozen Man Holding A Thermometer While It Is Snowing Stock Photo - Download  Image Now - iStock

Ice Kingdom by Caiji Lin | Scrolller

Edited by Unicorn

26 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Why do I get the feeling you've never been to icy kingdom of the North from October 16-April 30? A freezing/melting temperature at sunset would be considered a rare blessing. 🥶

Frozen Man Holding A Thermometer While It Is Snowing Stock Photo - Download  Image Now - iStock

Nice images, in your inimitable style.

And in studiously sailing past the point I was making, you caught me out, I have never been to Canada in winter. Siberia and elsewhere in Russia in December, and Norway and Sweden in winter yes, but never Canada, so I defer to your far greater wisdom on such things.

Heaters were an adaptation drive in theatres in Canberra made to extend the season in which they could operate. I didn't suggest, nor would I, that they could provide a way to permit year-round operation in Montréal. Few, apart from you, would have inferred that from what I wrote.

14 hours ago, Lucky said:

You'd think that the Catholic Church would have been thrilled with so many ejaculations at the drive-ins.

Ejaculatory prayer
In Christian piety, an ejaculation, sometimes known as ejaculatory prayer or aspiration, is "a short prayer, in which the mind is directed to God, on any emergency." "A sigh, a devout aspiration, a holy ejaculation, will oftener pierce the sky, and reach the ear of Omnipotence, than a long set exercise of prayer...".Wikipedia

It is good that I'm not of the Catholic faith.  My youthful ejaculatory prayers could not have been more off the mark.

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

Just because you, in your fairly arrogant opinion, can't imagine it, doesn't mean it doesn't can't exist. There is one operating in Saint-Eustache since 1971.  Like many of the drive-ins that existed in my childhood, it also doubles as a flea market.  

There are several surviving drive-in theaters or cine-parcs across Quebec, not just this one.

AF1QipPVSjN8BY6If8YOn0MBIOWEWYa9tHwtgYRc
GOO.GL

★★★★☆ · Drive-in movie theater

43 minutes ago, mike carey said:

...I have. been to...Siberia and elsewhere in Russia in December, and Norway and Sweden in winter...

OK. Now I understand! 😄

Just plain nuts | Funny cartoons, Gary larson cartoons, Social work humor

Edited by Unicorn

6 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Montreal has about a 6-month frost-free period, so while cold, it is far from extreme.  You can probably add an extra month or so if you consider that the lowest temps of the day usually occur just before dawn, when no drive-ins would be open anyway.   Being further north the hours of daylight are reduced in winter, so movies can be played earlier each day before it gets colder too. And drive-in lots can be used for other purposes when the weather changes, such as selling Christmas trees.

8 hours ago, mike carey said:

It was a joke.

Back in the day, when there were two drive-ins in Canberra, where the temperature can quickly drop to zero (32F) after sunset in winter, they had heaters to hang on the car window as well as the speaker.

I believe the point of a drive in was to take someone with you who would keep you warm! No heaters required!! 😉

8 hours ago, DynamicUno said:

Just because you, in your fairly arrogant opinion, can't imagine it, doesn't mean it doesn't can't exist. There is one operating in Saint-Eustache since 1971.  Like many of the drive-ins that existed in my childhood, it also doubles as a flea market.  

There are several surviving drive-in theaters or cine-parcs across Quebec, not just this one.

AF1QipPVSjN8BY6If8YOn0MBIOWEWYa9tHwtgYRc
GOO.GL

★★★★☆ · Drive-in movie theater

Obviously, the main source of income for this place is that it's a flea market, not the few weeks it works as a drive-in theater. 

15 hours ago, Unicorn said:

image.jpg
MONTREAL.CTVNEWS.CA

A man froze to death overnight on Saturday just steps from a downtown Montreal shelter where he’d been keeping warm. Public Health had banned the shelter...

"MONTREAL -- A man froze to death overnight on Saturday just steps from the downtown Montreal shelter where he’d been keeping warm. Now that shelter’s staff is speaking out against Quebec’s current regime of public health rules, which had forced them to kick the man out at night even when there were beds available. Montreal authorities say they had been trying to reopen the shelter at night, even if that didn't happen in time...."

Define "plenty"... How many days a year is that?

Summer officially starts June 21 and there is a month before that when evening temperatures are mild. September is also pleasant although  kids are back at school by then.

When I was young summer meant after school was out and ending on Labor Day.