What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

1 hour ago, BtmBearDad said:

@MiamiLooker I’ll see your “Sonny who?” and go one better! 

And you did! I had to look up the reference “he had an arm like the Kaiser!” For me, though, funnier than how your alumni relations administrator reacted, was thinking how difficult it can sometimes be to describe someone with a distinguishing negative feature and be PC.

I was in Grammar School and remember visiting my aunt who worked for a furrier in NYC.  In the back, where the furs were cut and sewn into coats, there were nudie centerfolds all over the walls.  Both men and women worked back there.  I can remember the nudie centerfolds at other places too like at gas stations, auto body shops, etc.  

Edited by augustus

1 minute ago, Charlie said:

I remember my first experience trying to deal with pounds, shillings and pence.

When you start with it you know no better. The one thing where it was easy was buying fruit, which at the time you bought by the piece rather than by weight. If apples were 2d each, they were 2/- (two shillings) for a dozen. I guess that worked for bread rolls (or baked goods in general) as well.

Of course back then 2d or after 14/2/66 2c was a useful amount of money (something else I remember!). Now the lowest value coin we have is 5c and 10c in Australia and Aotearoa/New Zealand respectively.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/1/2023 at 11:20 PM, Flexx said:

Watching the guiding light at 4. 

I remember when there were only four (4!) soaps on Chicago TV. They were all 15 minutes long and occupied a full hour on one channel. The sponsors were (natch!) soap companies. And the programs were apparently live, and the only music was supplied by someone playing an electric organ. 🎼 🎹

Guiding Light
Love of Life
Search for Tomorrow
The Secret Storm

On 4/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, FreshFluff said:

I love that they put on a jacket and tie for this protest. 

Looks like this protest was astroturfed. From the article: “John Saxon, a math book publisher and retired Oklahoma math teacher, and about 20 others carried signs reading "The Button's Nothin' Til the Brain's Trained" and "Beware: Premature Calculator Usage May Be Harmful to Your Child's Education."”

Edited by FreshFluff

Using my bike to deliver newspapers door to door. I had to follow specific instructions on where to leave the paper. Now they just throw it randomly at my yard as they drive by.

Then every week I had to collect the fees and found that people were often not home or made me come back later. My first experience with flaky customers of a small business.

Rain, shine, or snow.

49 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Using my bike to deliver newspapers door to door. I had to follow specific instructions on where to leave the paper. Now they just throw it randomly at my yard as they drive by.

Then every week I had to collect the fees and found that people were often not home or made me come back later. My first experience with flaky customers of a small business.

Rain, shine, or snow.

My best friend was a newspaper delivery boy, too. He was introduced to gay sex by the teenage son of one of the customers from whom he had to collect his fees, one day when the guy's parents were not at home when he came to collect. They continued to get together for several years afterwards. My friend brought me together once with the guy, who was in his twenties by then; it was more than sixty years ago, but I still remember the guy as having the largest cock I have ever tried to suck, and I have no idea how my friend managed to do it.