What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

2 hours ago, sync said:

Oh, the horror, the horror!  The countless times my mother dragged me with her to the local redemption center, where they hardly ever had the items she wanted.  😝

What made me recall the S&H stamps was that I still have an ugly lamp that I'm pretty sure I got with stamps. I was thinking about spray painting it until I found it on ebay for $250...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253793674781?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=253793674781&targetid=1263094003386&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9011970&poi=&campaignid=11612432082&mkgroupid=120142629297&rlsatarget=pla-1263094003386&abcId=9300456&merchantid=115332802&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5PGFBhC2ARIsAIFIMNfl7H6yW8-OvJo_9j_e1uf1nflk6qEf9XhQYPmuWLh0wywQp8kkeyMaAjruEALw_wcB

spacer.png

Marching up and down the school yard arms linked chanting "I like Ike"   Being in the mass Salk polio vaccine trial.  They chose my entire elementary school for the study.  I was so happy that I got the vaccine, not the placebo because I did not have to get the initial 3 shots over, just needed the booster.  The dinosaurs!!!!!!

Along the same lines, I remember my sister's godmother taking all four of us kids in the family to the T Eaton's Department Store in Montreal for lunch. They had a nice dining room on the top floor with white tablecloths and real cutlery. What I remember most is the dessert, an icecream cone turned upside down on the plate with a clowns face on the ball of icecream made with candies. This was around 1955.

Edited by Luv2play

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

Along the same lines, I remember my sister's godmother taking all four of us kids in the family to the T Eaton's Department Store in Montreal for lunch. They had a nice dining room on the top floor with white tablecloths and real cutlery. What I remember most is the dessert, an icecream cone turned upside down on the plate with a clowns face on the ball of icecream made with candies. This was around 1955.

We had a similar ritual, shopping at Hudson's in Westland Mall in Michigan.  We'd eat at the store restaurant, usually open-faced chicken sandwiches with this amazingly bright yellow gravy, then finish up with a Mickey Mouse sundae; a scoop of ice cream with chocolate wafer cookies for mouse ears.  it sat on a disc of meringue which was the best part.

I think ?? the very first thing I remember in my life - at all - was at age 3 or 4 (is that possible?) being called over from across the room in nursery school?? to make an imprint of my hand in plaster of paris......nothing else remembered until about three years later......

Plaster_Handprint_Plaque_Activity_123rf_

The Education Edition:

The pre-recentering SAT. A perfect score was so rare that local media covered kids who aced it  

TI-86 computer

Metal jungle gym equipment and slides

Lax underage drinking laws  

The first time someone came out to me (and a group of others) was pre-orientation week in college. It felt like a big deal. 

Edited by FreshFluff

Are underage drinking laws less lax these days? I started going to bars back in the days when the laws were not uniform, i.e., I could not legally drink in NJ, where the age to drink in a bar was 21, but I could cross the state line into NY, where the drinking age was 18. Has the uniform age of 21 in the US caused the laws to be more rigorously enforced nowadays?

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

Are underage drinking laws less lax these days? I started going to bars back in the days when the laws were not uniform, i.e., I could not legally drink in NJ, where the age to drink in a bar was 21, but I could cross the state line into NY, where the drinking age was 18. Has the uniform age of 21 in the US caused the laws to be more rigorously enforced nowadays?

The  enforcement was lax in some states, I should say. Bars let women smile their way in and fake IDs were waved through. Some MA universities  turned a blind eye unless the cops responded to a noise complaint. At the time, I heard mixed things about enforcement in NY. 

• 10 months later...