How are you staying in shape?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1122 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Remember, this is California. Bicycles are considered an important part of the transportation system (almost every town in CA has designated bike lanes for commuters), so bike shops are specifically listed as an essential business, just like auto repair shops. The bike shop allows only one person at a time to come in, and customers must wait 6 ft apart on a line outside. There was a pretty long line outside of people with bikes that needed new tires, broken chains, etc.

I went back to get my bike yesterday, and discovered that the shop was closing that afternoon for the duration of the lockdown. There was a long line waiting outside--6 ft apart--to pick up like I was. So I got it back just in time, and now I hope I can remember how to ride it.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

l've been using tension bands, dumbbells and bodyweight exercises. My coach sends me workouts, and he and his wife have been doing group trainings on zoom. I also really like the workouts my favorite guy on Instagram - a hunky trainer in LA -designs.

I'm wondering what the situation is like in the Los Angeles area. Here is the East Bay of San Francisco, there are lots of parks and open spaces open. I understand that the LA mayor closed most parks? Was Runyon Canyon one of them (I'm thinking of moving to near that park)? At least I can go on nice beautiful walks in the flower-laden hills here. Are there places to go in LA? I imagine things are even worse in most of NYC? Where is one allowed to hike there? Pelham Bay Park?

Uni,

Runyon (dog poop alley) is closed. The good news is the hollywood hills are not, and although it's nowhere near as solid the workout I get Mountain Biking and Swimming, Hiking up and down the Sunset Plaza Drive et al. is a good work out for sure.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/runyon-canyon-shutting-down-due-to-overcrowding-mayor-says/2334979/

And it's pretty.!

If I'm sitting down to watch something on Netflix I'll sit on the exercise ball, so at least I'm keeping the stabilizer muscles working.

With runs, I've found that longer runs every other day (6-7 km instead of 3-4km) are better than short ones every day. Mixing it up with long walks. Biking is a great way to social distance.

And light free weights with some push ups and chin ups.

Riverside county announced yesterday that they will allow golf courses to reopen for recreational play (no tournaments), but with all sorts of restrictions on the players and course management. They also said tennis and pickleball courts can reopen, but players must wear face masks. When tennis was still allowed, we were managing to keep social distancing, but it seems to me that would be much harder on the smaller pickleball court. I will definitely need a different kind of mask than my usual one to play tennis.

I imagine things are even worse in most of NYC? Where is one allowed to hike there? Pelham Bay Park?

The parks are open, though the cops are trying to enforce social distancing. The playgrounds are all closed. Just ask any New Yorker where to go and they'll gladly tell you (where) to take a hike! :cool::p:cool:

Our HOA management just sent an email announcing that our private tennis and pickleball courts will reopen starting tomorrow

My friend's hubby (in North Carolina) is irrationally happy that the local pickleball courts are opening.

2762691-center-1cape%20coral%20pickleball.jpg

Edited by samhexum

Why would you run with a mask on? Are you running in the grocery store? Or less than 6 feet from someone else?

Strangely, I think the rule/law in Beverly HIlls is that just being outside you have to wear a mask, which is why I'm no longer walking in their hills.

I'd never heard of this before so I watched the videos. I know people probably said the same things when dumbells and barbells were new, and what the fuck do I know, maybe it even works, but TRX is the stupidest excuse for low impact training I've seen since Shakeweight.

And even if it does, SOMEHOW maybe, like, tone muscle, I'll eat a tablespoon of bull semen if the guys in the videos built their foundations on that stupid fucking thing.

I'd never heard of this before so I watched the videos. I know people probably said the same things when dumbells and barbells were new, and what the fuck do I know, maybe it even works, but TRX is the stupidest excuse for low impact training I've seen since Shakeweight.

And even if it does, SOMEHOW maybe, like, tone muscle, I'll eat a tablespoon of bull semen if the guys in the videos built their foundations on that stupid fucking thing.

It's a cornerstone of many trainers who work on stabilizer muscles and core.

TRX can be impressively difficult, it's extremely versatile and can be thrown in a small bag to be used anywhere. I like that I can have outdoor workouts anywhere there's an anchor point.

Clearly it's not for you and that's fine.

For my body, it's worked well and has been a great supplement to all the weight training I do.

It's a cornerstone of many trainers who work on stabilizer muscles and core.

TRX can be impressively difficult, it's extremely versatile and can be thrown in a small bag to be used anywhere. I like that I can have outdoor workouts anywhere there's an anchor point.

Clearly it's not for you and that's fine.

For my body, it's worked well and has been a great supplement to all the weight training I do.

I second Benjamin’s compliments on TRX.

It’s challenging and effective.

It’s not a fad or a gimmick.

It forces you to use your body-weight strength, in addition to the resistance from gravity, as many of the exercises requires some form of suspension.

You can’t “cheat”, when using it either. Either you’re capable, or you’re not. It’s definitely made me stronger.

Strangely, I think the rule/law in Beverly HIlls is that just being outside you have to wear a mask, which is why I'm no longer walking in their hills.

The hills above BH are in the city of Los Angeles. I'll wear a mask in a store. It makes a certain amount of sense, to decrease the amount of droplets getting put on the products in the store, keypads, etc. What I detest at Safeway is that every single customer, even if he has touchless credit cards, must press on a screen indicating if he wants to make a donation, and if so how much. Can't pay without answering. That should be illegal. But coronaviruses are spread by droplets and hand contact, not by breathing it in, like measles, TB, chickenpox, and whooping cough. The idea of wearing masks when just walking around outdoors is pretty dumb.