How are you staying in shape?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1122 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am afraid that staying indoors so much during this time of isolation, (along with the inevitable snacking) is going to turn me into a whale of a guy! May even impact my immune system...

How are you staying in shape with gyms closed and public parks too crowded?

There are a bunch of Instagram celebrities offering advice. And paid coaching. Or maybe join a service for at home exercise like Obe fitness? Some of those guys are really cute too!! ?

I don't like the idea of Peloton which requires expensive equipment and a hefty monthly fee.

That's considering guys who answered were in shape before the closing of gyms.

Answering your question, I do push ups and eat healthy. I also go up and down the stairs in my building and take walks in the park keeping my distance and not touching anything.

I'm trying to supprot local businesses near my house and eat out five meals a week and last night went to the mexican place by me for the first time since this madness started. The guy that brought out my food is a bartender who waited on me a lot when they were open for dine in and was joking with him about being afraid of gaining weight. He said a couple of his customers said there is a new term going around called Corona15:) Similar to the freshman15

I've been taking two four-mile walks around my neighborhood every day, doing as much other walking as possible, lifting anything and everything that's heavy, including large plastic bins full of things I no longer need as I clean out closets! I've also been doing some of the exercises on my LA Fitness app and others posted as memes on Facebook by Orangetheory. And yesterday, I was granted access to the tiny, antiquated, but completely functional private gym located inside an office building whose employees have been teleworking for two weeks! I wiped down the equipment I used with Clorox wipes before and after using them. This generous person has agreed to let me in there early in the mornings three days a week until the curve flattens. I cannot tell you how great it felt to use those old machines and free weights!

A personal trainer lives in my building and has his private gym a couple blocks away I'm thinking asking him if I can use his gym or if he'll train with me. There is a small fitness center in my condo building but the HVAC sucks and the equipment is older but beats nothing. I also live a couple blocks away from a metropark and have been walking there a couple times and hopefully they don'[t close like our city parks but unfortunately it's still cold here. If this continues I'll bike when it warms up.

I belong to the Y and see they have some online courses you can do at home. May check that out, as well.

If you are in an urban area just try walking. I'm eating healthier now though, not going out to eat like I was befoer and making low calorie stuff at home.

I had a personal trainer that I could take our public transportation system to (or walk if I wanted to be really good). He partially owns the gym we work out in and often it is just he and I working out. He stopped training everyone when our mayor imposed an order on gyms. I am trying to get him to restart because if we maintain the recommended distance and if he wiped equipment down as used there is little if no possibility of contracting the virus. I really miss our sessions because I like being able to exercise and I know that I would not do it on my own at home (plus my home is not big enough to really do so successfully). Also I have come to really enjoy the personal interaction he and I have developed and which you do not miss until it is gone. Unfortunately our mayor has closed the lakefront and adjacent parks so that walking is going to have to be done on the city streets. However that seems the next likely thing.

I had a personal trainer that I could take our public transportation system to (or walk if I wanted to be really good). He partially owns the gym we work out in and often it is just he and I working out. He stopped training everyone when our mayor imposed an order on gyms. I am trying to get him to restart because if we maintain the recommended distance and if he wiped equipment down as used there is little if no possibility of contracting the virus. I really miss our sessions because I like being able to exercise and I know that I would not do it on my own at home (plus my home is not big enough to really do so successfully). Also I have come to really enjoy the personal interaction he and I have developed and which you do not miss until it is gone. Unfortunately our mayor has closed the lakefront and adjacent parks so that walking is going to have to be done on the city streets. However that seems the next likely thing.

Wouldn't it be difficult to maintain 6 feet distance if he has to spot for you when you are lifting? ?

Wouldn't it be difficult to maintain 6 feet distance if he has to spot for you when you are lifting? ?

We might have to give up doing certain exercises and see if there are others that have the same effect (or nearly the same) until this is all over. Plus hopefully we could get ahold of plain surgical masks (not the ones they do not want you buying).

Please don’t pressure him to open his gym.

The order imposed by your mayor is legally binding and if he’s caught, his business could be heavily fined, and he could even be arrested. He would also lose any opportunity for financial recovery/relief by the Small Business Administration.

I truly understand your desire to go back to the gym again, but it’s not worth the risk.

We might have to give up doing certain exercises and see if there are others that have the same effect (or nearly the same) until this is all over. Plus hopefully we could get ahold of plain surgical masks (not the ones they do not want you buying).

Don't stress over it... the bright side is that EVERYONE will look like shit when this is over, so YOU wont stand out for being out-of-shape...:confused:

Don't stress over it... the bright side is that EVERYONE will look like shit when this is over, so YOU wont stand out for being out-of-shape...:confused:

whoa whoa whoa, that’s more ambitious a statement than saying this will all pass within the next month. Many of us are still training. Not “everyone” is choosing to be sedentary while in confinement. Some Pull up bars and resistance bands are on back order because of the surge of purchases following the stay at home orders.

whoa whoa whoa, that’s more ambitious a statement than saying this will all pass within the next month. Many of us are still training. Not “everyone” is choosing to be sedentary while in confinement. Some Pull up bars and resistance bands are on back order because of the surge of purchases following the stay at home orders.

The use of EVERYONE was a broad stroke. Calm down, you weren't included in that statement, and sorry if you didn't see the levity in the comment and I offended you somehow ? . Having a hot bod is part of your business so I wouldn't expect you to let it slide. We all want/need to stay healthy and in shape, and will do what we can to that end, but it isn't as much a priority for me I suppose. My social security check will still come in whether I am ripped or pudgy......at least for now ! :eek:

Edited by jjkrkwood

The use of EVERYONE was a broad stroke. Calm down, you weren't included in that statement, and sorry if you didn't see the levity in the comment and I offended you somehow ? . Having a hot bod is part of your business so I wouldn't expect you to let it slide. We all want/need to stay healthy and in shape, and will do what we can to that end, but it isn't as much a priority for me I suppose. My social security check will still come in whether I am ripped or pudgy......at least for now ! :eek:

Your avatar isn't a selfie? I'm shocked

The use of EVERYONE was a broad stroke.

Indeed it was. And I haven’t been in “the business” since before all of this began. I am, however, in health and wellness. If you “look like shit” after all of this, it’s a choice you made lol. The topic is "how will you stay in shape," not "how will you remain lazy."

Last couple days have been great here to get out. I really hope these morons that don't social distance at the metroparks don't get those closed down. There are signs all over the trails saying the trails will remain open as long as people stay six feet apart and I saw a couple groups of kids out running together and several groups of four adults walking close to each other. Our governor said he'll allow parks to stay open and encouraged going and I'm hoping people that aren't social distancing don't cause of the few remaining activities to get shut down.