Grocery Shopping

sam.fitzpatrick

A reason not to shop there when the pandemic is over. To the stores that treat their customers with empathy and kindness during this time, their customers will remember and those stores will flourish after the pandemic is over.

Rumor has it that Safeway is giving its customers the "Buy 5 and save $$" price even when they don't buy five. The ads were developed weeks ago, so the copy can't change but the registers can certainly be programmed to waive the quantity requirement.

Luckily @Keith30309 , I was able to barter with these nice fellas for a few "extras" I needed. The bearded guy had some lovely "bananas"....

And you know I did stand 6 feet away from them in the checkout line, but in the parking lot, it was a different story.

79a029d0bfbb8fe88ead0df7efd01740.jpg

Naked-Sainsburys-Shopper.jpg

D8eLSkBWkAExJPN.jpg

Edited by jjkrkwood

I’m trying, with some success, to keep my sense of humor. Just returned from my local Smart & Final here in North Orange County, CA. I live in a mixed ethnicity neighborhood with many limited speaking English residents. My market is operating with a single checkout line. As each check out station becomes free the checker calls out next and waves his or her hand for the customer to approach. A limited speaking woman charged past the line and when immediately to an open checkout station. The cashier, who defines the term “dumb blonde” informed the woman that she needed to wait in the line. The woman feigning lack of understanding insisted that the checker check her out. Eventually the “dumb blonde” checker began to do so. In her basked the woman had four packages of chicken. The checker informed her that she was only allowed two. Again feigning lack of understanding the woman insisted that she wanted four. This time the checker stuck to her guns. Finally the checker at the next stand, where I was being checked out, asked if he could help. The entire routine repeated itself. Finally the woman insisted that the checker call the manager. The checker in my line told the checker to call the manager on the store intercom. The “dumb blonde” looked askance but called for the manager. After a brief pause the young man who initially asked if he could help turned to the irate woman and asked again if he could help. By now the woman was furious and insisted that she wanted to speak to the manager. The young man proceed to look at her with a straight face and slight grin and informed her that he was the manager. The woman now proceeded to demand the name and telephone number of the manager’s superior. He happily wrote out the name and telephone number of the district manager, wishing the woman good luck as it was the district manager who had instituted the policy. The woman threw her money down and walked out of the store with TWO packages of chicken. The manager looked at me with a sly grin and muttered “fucking bitch”. I damn near wet my pants laughing.

Love this. While this didn't happen in the current era, once upon a time I was in the express checkout lane at a grocery store and there was someone in the line with a cart full of stuff. People in line were calling out the guy, who ignored them, which made them get more agitated. When he got to the checker, people started addressing her about it. She put up her hand and said "I got this". She rang up his allowed 15 items and told him if he wanted the rest of the stuff in his cart he would have to go through the line again. He swore and claimed he was taking care of his sick mother and couldn't be expected to stand in a line. She said no, and he walked out, leaving everything. People started applauding.

Personally I feel the supply chains are ok, and most grocery shopping here in SoCal is slipping out of “panic”. Many stores now regulating how many customers can be in the store at once, that’s a huge calming affect. Also single file lines with 6 foot apart spaces marked out for waiting and leading up to multiple checkstands is very smart, also a calming influence.

If people get short on cash, finances...that calmness could change?

Personally I feel the supply chains are ok, and most grocery shopping here in SoCal is slipping out of “panic”. Many stores now regulating how many customers can be in the store at once, that’s a huge calming affect. Also single file lines with 6 foot apart spaces marked out for waiting and leading up to multiple checkstands is very smart, also a calming influence.

If people get short on cash, finances...that calmness could change?

My grocery store here in Vegas is doing the same with floor markers for spacing at checkout lines and at the self checkout. Cashier's and employees are also enforcing it by asking someone to wait on the market if they get too close to the person they are checking out.

Went to Costco this morn at 10 a.m. - had to wait ten minute outside b/c "we've reached the acceptable level of occupancy." Still no toilet paper - none at Wal-Mart either. I don't get the hoarding of TP - apparently clean asses are more important than eating.

Our Governor ("Uncle Andy") has been great during this crisis. We now have a phone number to call to report people who are not "social distancing" - and people are using it (rightfully, IMHO) to report neighbors who are having parties, or playing basketball games on public courts. Kentucky is the place where some idiots had a "Coronavirus Party" a couple of weeks ago - and one partier has already tested positive. Darwin at work.

Went out & got some staples today. I'm actually kind of obsessively stocked up, even before this hit, so I'm in good shape. But someone mentioned difficulty in getting coffee and that set off my alarm bells. I picked up 4 packages, nothing fancy, but should last me a while.

Washing down my daily prescription regimen with a martini, it feels very "Valley of the Dolls".

Crap - I forgot to buy coffee Saturday. I'll have to limit myself to one cup a day until I get to Saturday.

whoa!!....you are tougher than me!......one cup a day is something up with which I shall not put (Churchill?)......Dunkin Donuts coffee was/is on special at Costco this month and I grabbed it last week.....

https://www.costco.com/ground-coffee.html?brand=dunkin-donuts&refine=ads_fbrand_ntk_cs%3A%22Dunkin%27+Donuts%22

imageService?profileId=12026540&imageId=1334985-847__1&recipeName=350

whoa!!....you are tougher than me!......one cup a day is something up with which I shall not put (Churchill?)......Dunkin Donuts coffee was/is on special at Costco this month and I grabbed it last week.....

https://www.costco.com/ground-coffee.html?brand=dunkin-donuts&refine=ads_fbrand_ntk_cs%3A%22Dunkin%27+Donuts%22

And I just finished the last of the Dunkin Donuts hazelnut......