Loneliness... Depression and Anxiety

Mo Mason

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Rituals are part of human civilization.

Keeping a routine, following traditions and maintaining relationships daily ( even if it's with your favorite barista) work as emotional anchors to counterbalance the emotional chaos that can lead to depression. 

Of course all the other suggestions above have merit as well. But a reliable schedule has a surprisingly positive effect when implementing those other tactics.

Agreed - focussing on maintaining a routine, even if it may seem mundane, can really help bring a person out of a spiral and help prevent descending into one.  One of the symptoms of depression I have seen is the abandonment of routines, or at least the abandonment of healthy routines.

On 12/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, Ryan Wolff said:

Hey guys: I was wondering how those of you manage your depression when you're already doing all of the right things like a) taking your meds, and/or b) in talk therapy.  Oddly (or maybe not), being a service provider helped quite a bit with my depression in a couple of different ways.  But, since COVID began, and only having a few clients in the last 18 months, that 'depression relief valve' isn't really there. I've always been a lone wolf, so I don't have a circle of friends or 'tribe' like others do.  On top of that, my professional identity was shattered a month ago - just as I was entering the final stretch of my PhD. I still have a job, but it's not the job that I always strived towards.

Its been tough on everyone over the last 18 months... I'm curious how those who suffer from clinical depression have found outlets that helped mitigate those feelings. 

Thanks guys... Cheers!

Very sorry to hear you're seriously struggling Ryan.  I remember when I discovered my studied field, environmental engineering, looked like it was never going to be what I hoped.  It was difficult.

But you were already having difficulties, and as you know, the blow to your identity just compounded the problem.  You're doing all the right things, so, have you tried medication?  If so, how was the expereince?  If it was bad, or unhelpful, would you consider trying another one?  Remember anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications are temporary, so consider considering them if you haven't.  

On 12/8/2021 at 10:21 AM, pubic_assistance said:

Rituals are part of human civilization.

Keeping a routine, following traditions and maintaining relationships daily ( even if it's with your favorite barista) work as emotional anchors to counterbalance the emotional chaos that can lead to depression. 

Of course all the other suggestions above have merit as well. But a reliable schedule has a surprisingly positive effect when implementing those other tactics.

Genius.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:38 PM, Rod Hagen said:

Very sorry to hear you're seriously struggling Ryan.  I remember when I discovered my studied field, environmental engineering, looked like it was never going to be what I hoped.  It was difficult.

But you were already having difficulties, and as you know, the blow to your identity just compounded the problem.  You're doing all the right things, so, have you tried medication?  If so, how was the expereince?  If it was bad, or unhelpful, would you consider trying another one?  Remember anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications are temporary, so consider considering them if you haven't.  

I am on medication, and it's been invaluable for someone with a history of clinical depression.  Along with talk therapy, it's been very helpful.  My advice to anyone - have a genetics test done (they're $300) prior to going on an antidepressant.  I suggest that because physiology can vary so widely that some antidepressants (or any drug) my not be properly absorbed by your body.  The sudden loss of an identity I strived for years to earn and maintain, and was the proud of, is something I'll just have to work through overtime. The upside is I have more time to see clients, which is something I still enjoy. Thanks for your other suggestions - some are things I really should be doing, as well as getting my dissertation finished by the end of Spring.

• 8 months later...

I've been seeing a therapist monthly for about 7 years now.  It's helped tremendously.  I went from being depressed and anxious most of the time each and every day, to only minutes a day a few days each week.  He helped identify what makes me happy and establish a routine, and also what triggers me and how to cope.  When I bring up new anxieties, he reminds me what I have done to successfully cope with similar situations in the past.

This was the 3rd therapist I tried.  While the previous 2 weren't bad, I recommend shopping around until you find someone that works for you.

21 hours ago, smormardko said:

After some turmoil in my life, I developed an anxiety disorder. This disease may seem silly and frivolous, but it directly affects you, your life, and the perception of everything that happens. The first time I hooked on marijuana, it helped me a lot. Then I started to increase the dosage, afraid I might become addicted to it. Then, on the advice of another, I turned to https://fherehab.com/anxiety/treatment/ to seriously address this problem and cure my anxiety disorder if possible. I had no idea this disorder could be treated, and I was excited about the prospect.

It's very real, and I used to drink to self medicate, and even after going on meds, continued to drink.  Now, still  on meds (Lexapro), and I feel they are now working well.  Haven't had a drink in over a year.  

I'm just coming off 12 years of Cipralex.  It got me through some tough times.  I had gotten to the point where I was crying in my car after work.

I also made some other changes.  I found a less stressful job, mostly quit drinking (never at home and only go out occasionally).  I also started eating well and exercising regularly 

I had come off right before the pandemic hit and was so stressed by it I went back on.

I made the decision to come off the drugs as they were contributing to a problem with restless legs and they killed my libido.

I am hoping to stay off them but won't hesitate to go back on them if needed (at a lower dose).  They made a huge difference in my quality of life.

One thing to consider.  Coming off anti-depressants is not easy.  The side effects can be brutal.  Just make sure you taper down the dose slowly.  I did it half as fast as my doctor recommended. 

Get help when you need it.  Communicate clearly with your doctor.  Every drug can be different.  If yours isn't working, ask for a change.

No shame in asking for help!

Interesting points of view.   After spending way too much on massages with extras or just having sex often causes depression afterwards.  What I really crave is intimate emotional affection.   Searching for that in massages has been a waste of time and money and left me feeling sad after those experiences. 

• 1 year later...

I would say I am very normal or typical with this topic.   We all have times we suffer from depression related challenges.    I seem to allow myself a little time,  then I get busy and I mitigate the circumstances  (unless a death of a family member or the like).

I have found that being productive is essential in getting things back on a positive track,  but again,  I don't suffer from any serious issues.   Clinical depression is something I've not experienced and would rather not.

Being an optimist is where I'm comfortable.

• 2 months later...

I've started to return to therapy as well. I really do not like antidepressants because they mess up my sex drive and kinda make me feel "numb." 

But my therapist thinks regular talk therapy should be enough and making sure I keep up the swimming and other exercises. We forget how much that can help with mental as well as physical health.

• 4 months later...

I've never suffered from depression except when a close family member died.  That hits you hard.  But I know people are who do (or did) suffer from it.  One co-worker who did was told by his doctor that social isolation makes the condition more severe.  One solution is to join a group devoted to something for which you have a strong interest or passion like the other people in the group.  Volunteering at an animal shelter if you like animals for example.   It gives you a sense of purpose and you're with like-minded people.  

I experienced undiagnosed clinical depression from December 5th 2021 until around March 15th 2022, when following an agreement by myself and my uncle (confirmed by the local state government) that my uncle would take over the 16 years of caring duties in October 2021, he e-mailed me to say "I have placed your grandmother in a care home", without any form of consulatation with myself. Back then I didn't have access to AI to help me try and find my words to express my raw anger at that decision and therefore wasn't able to reply, but what really topped things off was him arriving unannounced at my house, luckily the day after having a flu vaccination and so therefore I was able to fob him off with a "Self isolation for 14 days advice" because I didn't want to see him, and he told me completely casually as an after thought that my grandmother had died in the care home just as I had finished making a hamper for her birthday three days previously.