Loneliness... Depression and Anxiety

Mo Mason

• 1 year later...

Lorraine Cortés-Vázquez is commissioner of the New York City Department for the Aging. Prior to joining the de Blasio administration, she served in executive leadership roles with AARP, EmblemHealth and other organizations. She also served as New York’s first Latina Secretary of State.

LorraineCorte%CC%81sVa%CC%81zquez-235x300.jpg

After serving as a senior adviser to Mayor Bill de Blasio, I am honored to serve as the new Commissioner of the New York City Department for the Aging and to serve the city’s 1.6 million diverse older adults. I plan to highlight and address critical priorities for older New Yorkers, like social isolation.

In a city of nearly 9 million people, many will endure loneliness – especially as they age. In fact, 1 in 5 older adults are socially isolated, which can lead to depression and a decline in physical health. Carrolyn Minggia, 64, is among them. She battles a syndrome that causes her immune system to attack her nerves. Since the death of her aunt, whom she moved to New York to care for, she also battles loneliness. We recently gave Minggia a robotic dog to ease that loneliness. The dog has sensors, responds to touch, barks and nuzzles and provides comfort.

Puppy_12-6-1024x819.jpg

But technology isn’t the only way to fight the widespread problem of social isolation. Low-tech approaches, like acknowledging and greeting people or checking on older neighbors, go a long way. In 2017, we launched our ThriveNYC Friendly Visiting Program, which pairs trusted and trained volunteers with isolated older adults. In just a few years, we have provided more than 50,000 hours of in-home visits. Beyond those visits, the program allows for intergenerational exchange in which strong bonds are formed between visitors and program participants.

Older adults who wish to explore options outside of the home can visit more than 200 senior centers across the city, many representing the languages and cultures that make New York City strong. The centers are safe places to socialize, have a meal with friends, take fitness and wellness classes, enjoy art classes, and attend cultural activities. Senior center membership is free to anyone age 60 or older.

The Department for the Aging also plans to launch a campaign that highlights the problem of social isolation in order to encourage more people to explore resources that are available to them through the City of New York.

If you are isolated, call 311 for more information about available services. The Department for the Aging is here to help.

I think I'm still a little young for the Department for the Aging. Ha.

Thrilled to say that I'm doing much better since I originally posted this nearly two years ago. I quit drinking in September of 2017, finally found an anti-depressant that works well for me, started a new career about 9 months ago, adopted a coonhound named Lewis who I love to pieces, currently remodeling my house so I can sell and move into a bigger place, and things have pretty much never been better.

Quitting drinking was key. It was a good move. I recommend it to everyone. :cool:

Thrilled to say that I'm doing much better since I originally posted this nearly two years ago. I quit drinking in September of 2017, finally found an anti-depressant that works well for me, started a new career about 9 months ago, adopted a coonhound named Lewis who I love to pieces, currently remodeling my house so I can sell and move into a bigger place, and things have pretty much never been better.

Quitting drinking was key. It was a good move. I recommend it to everyone. :cool:

I'm glad you are doing so much better. I wish I drank, so I could quit.

I did start with a new therapist last week. I don't have too much hope. But we'll see how things go over the new few months.

Gman

You may be surprised! I joined AARP at the ripe old age of...36! A small price to pay for some of the discounts I receive through my membership! ?

Congrats on making a sizable life change. You sound like you're doing great!

PS: I wouldn't recommend EVERYONE quitting alcohol. If you can regulate your usage, it's perfectly safe and enjoyable. Vices- under control- are important things. It's all a part of a healthy balance in life. We cannot live completely 'without' as human beings.

Congrats on making a sizable life change. You sound like you're doing great!

PS: I wouldn't recommend EVERYONE quitting alcohol. If you can regulate your usage, it's perfectly safe and enjoyable. Vices- under control- are important things. It's all a part of a healthy balance in life. We cannot live completely 'without' as human beings.

Oh never fear young man! Most of us will never be confused for Mormons or Jehovah’s witnesses! ??

Hey Mo Mason...I just got an alert that you "liked" one of my posts from Sept 2017. I had to go back and re-read the thread to refresh my memory. Quite nice to see that you have worked through everything and are doing so much better. Kudos to you and to Lewis. Dogs have a way of keeping everything in perspective. I've done a couple of dog rescues, and I'm never sure who rescues who. Your post gave me a smile today...

All the best

So I went to a therapist for my second time today. Is asking me whether I wanted to make a third appointment a sign of a solid therapeutic alliance? Why am I asking? No reason in particular. Gman

More importantly, how are you feeling? If it's even slightly better, and you can afford it, continue on and see if some positive momentum builds.

So I went to a therapist for my second time today. Is asking me whether I wanted to make a third appointment a sign of a solid therapeutic alliance?

Why am I asking? No reason in particular.

Gman

More importantly, how are you feeling? If it's even slightly better, and you can afford it, continue on and see if some positive momentum builds.

I feel about the same as I usually do. During the session I felt a little worse than usual as I could see we were going nowhere. It reminded me of when I decided to quit my last therapist because I didn't think it was doing any good. The difference is I got the feeling she wanted to continue. I'm not sure if he was trying to challenge me to continue-or more likely he could tell from two sessions that I was hopeless (I don't mean as a person just as a person he could help)

Now I'm fairly copacetic-ie back at baseline level.

Sigh-he was the only gay therapist on my insurance anywhere near me. There's a guy still under supervision near me. He's not on my insurance. And I really don't want to pay, if I don't have to, for therapy that is, more likely than not, not going to work. Plus if experienced counselors don't see much hope, it's doubtful a young trainee is going to get anywhere.

So I already have an appt -my schedule is restricted. So I made the 2nd and 3rd appts when I had the chance. I'm considering. But I'll probably cancel.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

I wish you good results, or at least peace of mind, whichever way you decide.

To tell you the truth, the more I think about it the more depressing it is.

On the other hand, ? I've had so many gay therapists before. In many ways, he's just one more.?

But while in the past I had considered a non-gay therapist, I can't even imagine going to one now. I have a difficult enough time describing my non-fulfilled relationship needs to a gay therapist. Trying to teach a straight therapist about gay hook-up culture is more than I can handle.

Gman

If you are isolated, call 311 for more information about available services. The Department for the Aging is here to help.

Thank God @Mo Mason didn't take your advice. I don't think 311 works in Michigan! :eek:

Can you imagine if he did? Waiting and waiting for someone to pick up!

Reminds me of that joke Tommy Lasorda used to tell when the Dodgers weren't doing to well - I called suicide prevention; they put me on hold! :oops:

If anyone is feeling depressed right now put on TBD channel. They're showing a marathon of Kitten Love. Adorably cute!

To tell you the truth, the more I think about it the more depressing it is.

On the other hand, ? I've had so many gay therapists before. In many ways, he's just one more.?

But while in the past I had considered a non-gay therapist, I can't even imagine going to one now. I have a difficult enough time describing my non-fulfilled relationship needs to a gay therapist. Trying to teach a straight therapist about gay hook-up culture is more than I can handle.

Gman

Thank you. Now I'm hearing Helen Reddy sing I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LOVE HIM...

And I've had so many men before

In very many ways

He's just one more

What's wrong with hearing Helen Reddy (although s according to Wikipedia, sadly she has Alzheimer's Disease now)?

And while hearing Helen is not a totally unexpected result of my post, personally I'm hearing Yvonne Elliman.

Gman

• 1 year later...

Brothers kill 4 family members before turning gun on themselves

Two brothers are accused of gunning down four family members inside their Texas home before turning the weapons on themselves in a chilling crime that they plotted months in advance, reports said Monday.

Police believe Farhan Towhid, 19, and his older brother, 21-year-old Tanvir Towhid, carried out the carnage Saturday at the family’s home in Allen, according to Fox 4.

All six victims of the Towhid family — including the brothers’ parents, sister and grandmother — were discovered by police dead with gunshot wounds during a wellness check at about 1 a.m. on Monday.

Facebook

“Hey everyone. I killed myself and my family,” Farhan wrote in a suicide note.

“If I killed just myself, they would be miserable,” Farhan explained in his note. “I love my family. I genuinely do. And that’s exactly why I decided to kill them.”

A friend of Farhan’s told police about the rambling suicide note Farhan had linked to from Instagram, detailing how he and his brother hatched the plan in February to kill their family and themselves if they could not “fix everything,” CBS DFW reported.

Both brothers, who attended UT Austin, battled depression, the note said.

“The plan was simple. We get two guns. I take one and shoot my sister and grandma, while my brother kills our parents with the other. Then we take ourselves out,” Farhan wrote.

Police on Monday identified the boy’s parents as 54-year-old Towhidul Islam and his 56-year-old wife, Iren Islam.

Farhan’s twin sister, Farbin Towhid, had a full scholarship to NYU, FOX 4 reported.

The grandmother, 77-year-old Altafun Nessa, was visiting from Bangladesh. She was set to return home next month, the report said.

I suffer.

How do you deal with it? Other than hiring. Personally, I self-medicate with beer - a lot of it. Probably enough to kill me by the time I'm 50.

(it sucks, you guys... I don't have friends. Even my family doesn't like me)

I don't really want to kill myself, but it does tend to make the most sense....

Hi. You are/were not alone.

I also had suicidal thoughts in the past.

Hires are only temporary patches.

Family and "friends" are not always a guarantee.

I also tried antidepressants and while modern chemistry has come up with some amazing new psychiatric products,

Mother Nature is the root of it all and her healing powers would never want one of his beloved sons to be dependant on drugs for life.

Of course, you won't find any of this in scientific literature, because Big Pharma doesn't like this, it's not long-term profitable. That's the main reason why they are "controlled" substances. Because it would be a billionaire loss for Pharmaceutical companies.

I tried these two, and believe me when I tell you that after few sessions (less than five) I (and everyone who attended the sessions) improved. At the end of my journey, I was cured. I stopped antidepressants and all kinds of psychiatric drugs and haven't used Psilocybin or Ayahuasca ever since. I am now conducting a much healthy and wholesome lifestyle now, way happier with myself. I never needed to stop drinking alcohol but I certainly became more mindful about when to stop without feeling any anxiety, cravings, or withdrawal.

Down below I also posted some links about well-reputed and reviewed centers around the world in case these kinds of therapies are not available where you live.

Psilocybin

Ayahuasca (DMT)

The best natural medicine retreats in the world:

https://eluxemagazine.com/travel/the-best-ayahuasca-retreats-around-the-world-reviewed/

https://ayamundo.com/retreats#

Brothers kill 4 family members before turning gun on themselves

Two brothers are accused of gunning down four family members inside their Texas home before turning the weapons on themselves in a chilling crime that they plotted months in advance, reports said Monday.

Police believe Farhan Towhid, 19, and his older brother, 21-year-old Tanvir Towhid, carried out the carnage Saturday at the family’s home in Allen, according to Fox 4.

All six victims of the Towhid family — including the brothers’ parents, sister and grandmother — were discovered by police dead with gunshot wounds during a wellness check at about 1 a.m. on Monday.

Facebook

“Hey everyone. I killed myself and my family,” Farhan wrote in a suicide note.

“If I killed just myself, they would be miserable,” Farhan explained in his note. “I love my family. I genuinely do. And that’s exactly why I decided to kill them.”

A friend of Farhan’s told police about the rambling suicide note Farhan had linked to from Instagram, detailing how he and his brother hatched the plan in February to kill their family and themselves if they could not “fix everything,” CBS DFW reported.

Both brothers, who attended UT Austin, battled depression, the note said.

“The plan was simple. We get two guns. I take one and shoot my sister and grandma, while my brother kills our parents with the other. Then we take ourselves out,” Farhan wrote.

Police on Monday identified the boy’s parents as 54-year-old Towhidul Islam and his 56-year-old wife, Iren Islam.

Farhan’s twin sister, Farbin Towhid, had a full scholarship to NYU, FOX 4 reported.

The grandmother, 77-year-old Altafun Nessa, was visiting from Bangladesh. She was set to return home next month, the report said.

Oh please. I'd say schizophrenia or some other serious mental problem exists besides just depression. Most people depressed don't fixate on killing others.

Is this common among us? I suffer.

How do you deal with it? Other than hiring. Personally, I self-medicate with beer - a lot of it. Probably enough to kill me by the time I'm 50.

(it sucks, you guys... I don't have friends. Even my family doesn't like me)

I don't really want to kill myself, but it does tend to make the most sense....

Well drinking and hiring hookers won't help you.

Hi. You are/were not alone.

I also had suicidal thoughts in the past.

Hires are only temporary patches.

Family and "friends" are not always a guarantee.

I also tried antidepressants and while modern chemistry has come up with some amazing new psychiatric products,

Mother Nature is the root of it all and her healing powers would never want one of his beloved sons to be dependant on drugs for life.

Of course, you won't find any of this in scientific literature, because Big Pharma doesn't like this, it's not long-term profitable. That's the main reason why they are "controlled" substances. Because it would be a billionaire loss for Pharmaceutical companies.

I tried these two, and believe me when I tell you that after few sessions (less than five) I (and everyone who attended the sessions) improved. At the end of my journey, I was cured. I stopped antidepressants and all kinds of psychiatric drugs and haven't used Psilocybin or Ayahuasca ever since. I am now conducting a much healthy and wholesome lifestyle now, way happier with myself. I never needed to stop drinking alcohol but I certainly became more mindful about when to stop without feeling any anxiety, cravings, or withdrawal.

Down below I also posted some links about well-reputed and reviewed centers around the world in case these kinds of therapies are not available where you live.

Psilocybin

Ayahuasca (DMT)

The best natural medicine retreats in the world:

https://eluxemagazine.com/travel/the-best-ayahuasca-retreats-around-the-world-reviewed/

https://ayamundo.com/retreats#

I've watched documentary where a shamen takes a group of people up to some beautiful mountain top location and they all do Ayahuasca. Allot of celebrities have done these tours. They say that 85% of people have experienced significant change. I've always wanted to try it myself.

I've watched documentary where a shamen takes a group of people up to some beautiful mountain top location and they all do Ayahuasca. Allot of celebrities have done these tours. They say that 85% of people have experienced significant change. I've always wanted to try it myself.

Go for it!

It literally changed my life.

I don't use psychiatric drugs anymore.

Costa Rica is one of the most popular destinations visited by Americans.