Gas Prices In Your Area

Lucky

Just got gas at my neighborhood Costco this morning -- $5.05 a gallon regular unleaded.  Let's hear it for the absolutely outrageous California gas tax.  That tax money is supposed to go to the maintenance of the state highways as well as bridge s.  In reality very little goes to those items  while the vast majority of the money goes to pet projects of state legislators. 

Von's (which is Safeway in other places) has their own gas station here in Palm Springs. If you are a regular Von's customer and have an account with them (I do much of my food shopping there), you get a discount on the gas price. I filled my car with premium last week, for $4.10/gal. That special probably won't last long.

36 minutes ago, Epigonos said:

Just got gas at my neighborhood Costco this morning -- $5.05 a gallon regular unleaded.  Let's hear it for the absolutely outrageous California gas tax.  That tax money is supposed to go to the maintenance of the state highways as well as bridge s.  In reality very little goes to those items  while the vast majority of the money goes to pet projects of state legislators. 

Just got gas at my neighborhood Costco this morning.  $0.24 higher than that.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:35 AM, Lucky said:

Costco regular gas today is $4.81.9, the highest its ever been. But, it is still the lowest local price. $5 a gallon is here!

One  day later it is $4.91.9...and long lines at Costco! Sam's Club had no line.

Please tell me if I'm wrong but if I lived in Palm Springs I wouldn't be too concerned about high gasoline prices. PS is a very small urban settlement in the middle of the desert. Everything is within a few miles of where one lives. I imagine a tank full of gas could last a month if one stayed within the immediate area. 

Or am I missing something?

15 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Please tell me if I'm wrong but if I lived in Palm Springs I wouldn't be too concerned about high gasoline prices. PS is a very small urban settlement in the middle of the desert. Everything is within a few miles of where one lives. I imagine a tank full of gas could last a month if one stayed within the immediate area. 

Same way too.  Now that I’m retired, I”m generally staying within my neighboring suburbs.  Car sits several days a week, and fill up once a month.  Last year, I actually went seven weeks between fill ups. I could have waited a few more days, but it was projected to get very cold so didn’t want freeze my butt off just to fill up.

Out & about around noon, I drove past the gas station (cheapest gas in the area) but didn't stop to fill up because I was pressed for time.  Regular was $4.37.  ~10 hours later, I had time to fill up, but the price had jumped to $4.49!

On 3/8/2022 at 2:37 PM, Luv2play said:

PS may be small in population, but it is pretty spread out. I used to live in Center City Philadelphia, where I could walk to almost any of the places I went regularly, and could hop a bus or subway to almost everything else, from work to stores to restaurants to theaters to hospitals. In PS there is NOTHING I can walk to easily from my house--it's 4 miles roundtrip to the closest commerce of any kind, and most of the places at which I do any kind of regular chores or shopping are 6-12 miles roundtrip. The nearest shopping mall is 30 miles roundtrip. Public transit is not a viable option. Almost every time I leave home to do something outside my immediate neighborhood, it is by car.

It's Sunday, March 13, 2021.  While I was leaving a 7/11 after purchasing today's SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE, I happened to notice the prices of petro at the Chevron Station (Marina, CA) that was across the street.  Premium was listed at $6.16 per gallon.

I'll continue to go to our local Costco where I spent $65.00 last week ford an almost full tank of gas.

On 3/15/2022 at 7:37 AM, BuffaloKyle said:

Gas had shot up to 4.49 here last week. With oil prices now dropping I've seen most places this week at 4.39 and I did see one at 4.29.

Gas prices here have continued to increase. The station where I paid $5.19 for regular 9 days ago is now at $5.69. On the other hand, the station that was trying it on at $5.99 has not budged either way.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:12 PM, Charlie said:

PS may be small in population, but it is pretty spread out. I used to live in Center City Philadelphia, where I could walk to almost any of the places I went regularly, and could hop a bus or subway to almost everything else, from work to stores to restaurants to theaters to hospitals. In PS there is NOTHING I can walk to easily from my house--it's 4 miles roundtrip to the closest commerce of any kind, and most of the places at which I do any kind of regular chores or shopping are 6-12 miles roundtrip. The nearest shopping mall is 30 miles roundtrip. Public transit is not a viable option. Almost every time I leave home to do something outside my immediate neighborhood, it is by car.

That is one of several reasons why I still live in Philadelphia. The University of Pennsylvania is another reason. A third reason is one can see Opera and Broadway shows in  New York without staying overnight. Yet another reason is Philadelphia is a relatively cheap place to live 

20 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Yet another reason is Philadelphia is a relatively cheap place to live 

"Relatively" is subjective.  I was born, raised, and lived my whole life in Philly until 3 years ago.  One of the main reasons I moved out was due to the city wage tax, along with high property taxes and inflated additional costs associated with living there.  City wage tax is just under 4% of gross income.  I was paying $3,600/yr for auto insurance for one vehicle (that's with a clean driving record, multiple policy discounts, and every associated group discount available).  Property taxes tripled in the 20 years I owned my last home, and homeowner's insurance was through the roof considering I was in a 1,000-sq foot rowhome.  Those inflated additional costs are a direct reflection of location.  I moved outside the city into a home that's more than twice as large as my previous one.  Since my office is located in a neighboring county, I got an immediate pay raise of almost 4% (no city wage tax), my homeowner's insurance is the same as it was in the city, but my auto insurance is 25% of what my premium was at my Philly address.  Plus, in keeping with the subject of this thread, I was filling up my tank twice a week for the 2.5 - 3.5 hours I spent commuting each day.  At today's prices, it wouldn't have been sustainable.  At the end of the month, my expenses now are $300 less than when I lived in the city, even though I'm paying more than double the property tax as in Philly.