Gas Prices In Your Area

Lucky

Couple states are suspending their gas tax and California might issue $400 in gas stimulus money basically to cover the extra cost right now:

As many Americans struggle to deal with the swift and sudden rise in gas prices, some states are temporarily suspending their gas tax to help drivers save several dollars at the pump. Lawmakers in California, which has the highest gas tax in the country at 51-cents-per-gallon, are proposing a $400 gas tax rebate, after state Democrats previously shot down a gas tax pause. Lawmakers say the rebate will cover the cost of the current gas tax for a full year for most drivers. Two states have already enacted laws suspending the gas tax and more states are expected to follow. Georgia announced a suspension of its $0.29 cent tax per gallon on regular fuel. In Maryland, lawmakers passed a gas tax holiday for 30 days starting Friday, ending April 16. The national average gas price currently stands at $4.25 per gallon.

There is no easy fix for this problem. Cutting the gas tax eliminates a lot of money that has been budgeted for upkeep of the road system, which then has to be found somewhere else. Rebates give the same amount of money to everyone, regardless of how much gas they use (including none at all), but does not give money to companies, organizations and public transport systems that depend on gas-fueled vehicles.

And they still don't address the problem that people are urged to switch to EVs, but their owners pay nothing for the upkeep of the roads they use in exactly the same way as drivers with gas-fueled vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 9:53 AM, Charlie said:

Von's (which is Safeway in other places) has their own gas station here in Palm Springs. If you are a regular Von's customer and have an account with them (I do much of my food shopping there), you get a discount on the gas price. I filled my car with premium last week, for $4.10/gal. That special probably won't last long.

It didn't last. Yesterday I filled my car again at Von's station. Using my Von's membership number, I paid $5.20/gal for premium. That's still a $1 saving over my regular local station.

• 4 weeks later...

We were down to 4.04 a month ago or so. Now it's back up to 4.30 - 4.40 and with Memorial Day coming up it's only going to get worse probably. Can't wait for June 1 when the state and county tax breaks goes into effect. Should be 16 cents from the state and then my county is also giving a break should be around 10 cents. 

12 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

What happens when it passes 9.99 they only have 3 slots for the numbers!? 🤪

They replace the display signs. That happened here when prices went above $1 a litre not that long ago. Or alternatively they decide to do away with the tenths of a cent. I mean, seriously? It's over $10 and you want to know that it's 5/10ths or 9/10ths? They only ever use that to make it look like it's one cent less than it is. 99.9 looks a whole lot less than 100.

12 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

What happens when it passes 9.99 they only have 3 slots for the numbers!? 🤪

It'll be like Nadia Comaneci's first ever 10.00 in the sport of gymnastics.  The judges had to post it as "1.00" because the sign wasn't formatted to allow for 4 digits.

Edited by BSR
Deleted photo

On 12/28/2011 at 11:18 PM, Axiom2001 said:

As of December 27, 2011, in the Monterey, CA area and other parts of California, I'm having to pay upwards to $3.88 for premium petro. Damn, I wish the prices would go down as low as $2.50 per gallon. I would be spending a fortune if i were still commuting to work!

Yesterday, 15 May 2022, while I drove around the Monterey Peninsula-- the prices for petroleum had risen to the $6.00+ mark at most named brands.  I don't know what they are at Costco, the place that I have been going for the past three months, but soon I will know.

When will we begin to see a decrease? Folks (overall) can't afford to be paying upwards of $100+ when they fill their vehicles?

Gas is certainly crazy still, and I’m not doing any unnecessary long tours until things settle. I paid the most for gas in March and April when I was in Washington and Northern California. It started with $4.50 in Utah, and kept going. 

Thing is: I wasn’t spending so much once I reached my destination because I was mostly doing incalls and any outcalls, weren’t too far. However, my engines get crap fuel mileage in the city…I just had to change out all 16 spark plugs (I own 2 V8s and both ask premium) just to ensure I’m doing what I can to boost mileage. The most drain came when I had to commute between cities and the west is so spread out. Part of why I just don’t have the inclination to live in places like California, Denver and Phoenix as much. To get to the next major city going north, east or west, it requires 1.5 tank of gas. 

Missouri usually has been at $2-3 a gallon anytime of the year. Now it’s peaked at $4 most recently. All the people visiting for graduations AND Memorial Day. 

With Monkey Pox and Recession looming: maybe gas will be down to $1 a gallon in due time (I actually did fill up for $1.08/gallon back in April 2020). Seems like they want to go up when things are good, scale back when things are not.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

On 5/16/2022 at 12:57 PM, Lucky said:

Costco here $5.45.9 a gallon yesterday.

I remember when gas was 19.9 at my local Sunoco!

A week later and it is up to $5.62.9 a gallon. $67.50 to fill my tank. I have never paid so much.