Vegas vs Palm Springs

moonlight

If you had to choose between living in these two locations, which would you pick? Would your answer change if finances weren't a consideration?

I enjoy both of these spots and suspect I'll move to one or the other at some point in the distant future. Curious what others think.

Personally I think I would lean towards Vegas only because it doesn't empty out in the summer.

25 minutes ago, moonlight said:

If you had to choose between living in these two locations, which would you pick? Would your answer change if finances weren't a consideration?

I enjoy both of these spots and suspect I'll move to one or the other at some point in the distant future. Curious what others think.

Personally I think I would lean towards Vegas only because it doesn't empty out in the summer.

Palm Springs FL or Palm Springs CA?

There's a lot more to do in Vegas in terms of entertainment, so if one has the funds to go to shows regularly I'd choose Vegas. 

I like Palm Springs a lot more, though.  I'm not interested in gambling.  Seeing gambling everywhere is just a turn off to me.  I also don't think that Vegas feels particularly gay, even though there are obviously a lot of gay men living there.  Most significantly, however, are the views in Palm Springs versus Vegas.  I really enjoy seeing the mountains in the near distance in Palm Springs. 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, maninsoma said:

There's a lot more to do in Vegas in terms of entertainment, so if one has the funds to go to shows regularly I'd choose Vegas. 

I like Palm Springs a lot more, though.  I'm not interested in gambling.  Seeing gambling everywhere is just a turn off to me.  I also don't think that Vegas feels particularly gay, even though there are obviously a lot of gay men living there.  Most significantly, however, are the views in Palm Springs versus Vegas.  I really enjoy seeing the mountains in the near distance in Palm Springs. 

I agree about the ubiquitous gambling being a turn off. I don't gamble either. It gives off a sense of sadness/desperation in a way, seeing it everywhere.

And yes the views are my favorite part of PS. The juxtaposition of palm trees and mountains, sometimes snow capped, is really striking. 

I guess it would be easier to make gay friends in PS? That's important especially when moving.

Edited by moonlight

One thing I've learned is that buying property in Palm Springs is more complicated, since a lot is on reservation land held by the Agua Caliente Band.  Thsi means you don't get the land itself, just the house and a lease to the land.  This has implications for what you're allowed to do with the property.  The reservation is not one contiguous area, it's spread out in a checkerboard-like arrangement across the area.  

1 minute ago, DynamicUno said:

One thing I've learned is that buying property in Palm Springs is more complicated, since a lot is on reservation land held by the Agua Caliente Band.  Thsi means you don't get the land itself, just the house and a lease to the land.  This has implications for what you're allowed to do with the property.  The reservation is not one contiguous area, it's spread out in a checkerboard-like arrangement across the area.  

That's a good point. I've heard a little bit about that. Buying a house only to have a land lease doesn't sound ideal. Maybe unless a home can be found cheaply enough that it's worth the trade-offs, especially with a lease ending in the very distant future. If I bought there I would probably only look at options where I fully own the land.

when I went to Daddy event two years ago.    The city was doing an audit of uber/lift pickups - checking driver L /registration 

Seems the city keeps close tabs on these type of operations  AB and B,  Urber.  etc

I've visited both places on occasion, and I find I get tired of Vegas before I get tired of PS.   While Vegas is more of a city that never sleeps, I like to have more of a community feel, without the superficial glitz and glamour.  And there seems to be a lot of sadness just beneath the surface of Vegas - scratch off the flashy veneer and it is seems pretty ugly to me.  The other advantage of PS is that it's within driving distance of LA if anyone needs reasonable proximity to a big city, and the beaches are that much closer too. 

I've never actually been to Palm Springs, though I go to Vegas several times a year. I considered moving there, but I think they overdeveloped and have concerns about the water situation taking an ugly turn just as I'm too old to manage a move myself...

Unfortunately, they’re both in the middle of the fucking desert.  It’s just not my thing.

For vacation? I prefer Vegas. For living? I’m gonna have to keep looking.

If you made me choose….ugh….

Vegas for the variety and quality of restaurants. Palm Springs for the community. 

Also for the record, I would never buy a house on land that I didn’t own. 

Edited by nycman

4 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Considering there's a huge influx of property being sold right now in PS, I'd start there.

Since the Airbnb ban, a ton of owners are now racing to sell.  There's a plethora of stock at decent prices.

There's no Airbnb ban in Palm Springs although I believe there may be in other valley cities.  What Palm Springs did was cap Airbnb's at 20% of a neighborhood.  Some of the neighborhoods had so many it will be years before a license becomes available.  In other neighborhoods new Airbnb licenses can issued immediately.   In any case, if there's an HOA owners need to comply with community rules and CC&R's which typically specify a minimum rental period of 28 days. 

Edited by Act25
extra word

8 hours ago, moonlight said:

The difference between Las Vegas, Nevada, and Palm Springs, California, is about ten degrees Fahrenheit year round (Palm Springs is warmer than Las Vegas).  For a more mild winter, choose Palm Springs.  For a more "mild" summer, choose Las Vegas.

For more mild taxes and regulations, choose Las Vegas.

1 hour ago, Act25 said:

There's no Airbnb ban in Palm Springs although I believe there may be in other valley cities.  What Palm Springs did was cap Airbnb's at 20% of a neighborhood.  Some of the neighborhoods had so many it will be years before a license becomes available.  In other neighborhoods new Airbnb licenses can issued immediately.   In any case, if there's an HOA owners need to comply with community rules and CC&R's which typically specify a minimum rental period of 28 days. 

You are correct.  Sorry about that.  I spoke with only a few details, but just read up in full on what they did (in 2022).

https://therealdeal.com/la/2024/01/25/palm-springs-home-market-choked-by-airbnb-rules/

The bigger deal is that these permits are non-transferable, fully changing the game for those who thought they could move properties sideways to family members.

Bottom line, it's driving prices down in the neighborhoods that are at their cap (or past it, in some instances).

I live to visit both places but I could never live in either desert.  I agree about the proximity to LA and those suburbs is a big plus for PS.  As well as the large LGBT 🏳️‍🌈 scene in PS if that’s important to you. But taxes def much lower in Nevada.  I would def recommend spending ample time in each place before making a decision.  

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

You are correct.  Sorry about that.  I spoke with only a few details, but just read up in full on what they did (in 2022).

https://therealdeal.com/la/2024/01/25/palm-springs-home-market-choked-by-airbnb-rules/

The bigger deal is that these permits are non-transferable, fully changing the game for those who thought they could move properties sideways to family members.

Bottom line, it's driving prices down in the neighborhoods that are at their cap (or past it, in some instances).

Seems like a good move to me. Keeps a supply of some AirBnBs available, but keeps prices lower and promotes better community for residential buyers. The non-transferability is a good idea though it sucks for those who bought higher hoping to create a business.

Edited by moonlight

9 hours ago, Johnrom said:

I live to visit both places but I could never live in either desert.  I agree about the proximity to LA and those suburbs is a big plus for PS.  As well as the large LGBT 🏳️‍🌈 scene in PS if that’s important to you. But taxes def much lower in Nevada.  I would def recommend spending ample time in each place before making a decision.  

I really like the desert.  Especially on an unnamed horse.  It's good to get out of the rain, and I never seem to forget my name, 'cause there ain't no one for to give me no pain.

6 minutes ago, moonlight said:

PS proximity to LA, OC, and SD is definitely a plus. Though I wonder how often PS residents actually make the trip. All those places are a short and easy flight from Vegas too.

When I lived in Hawai'i 'island fever' seemed to be a consistent concern, although few people I knew (mostly from CONUS) travelled far from their homes or workplaces on Oahu. The psychological impact of the perceived accessibility of desirable places 'elsewhere' should not be underestimated, and being able [relatively easily] to drive 'there' is valued. That said, it's not difficult to fly to somewhere else from either Las Vegas or Palm Springs.

To quote (or perhaps paraphrase) the late great Dame Edna Everage, 'Australia is so central, you can just pop on an aeroplane and in 24 hours you can be somewhere interesting.'

1 minute ago, mike carey said:

When I lived in Hawai'i 'island fever' seemed to be a consistent concern, although few people I knew (mostly from CONUS) travelled far from their homes or workplaces on Oahu. The psychological impact of the perceived accessibility of desirable places 'elsewhere' should not be underestimated, and being able [relatively easily] to drive 'there' is valued. That said, it's not difficult to fly to somewhere else from either Las Vegas or Palm Springs.

To quote (or perhaps paraphrase) the late great Dame Edna Everage, 'Australia is so central, you can just pop on an aeroplane and in 24 hours you can be somewhere interesting.'

That's interesting and definitely a real phenomenon. It's occurred to me that living in my current small urban bubble probably wouldn't be unlike living in Hawaii, given that I can easily go months without venturing very far. But the option of driving out exists even though I rarely choose that option.

9 hours ago, mike carey said:

This is why I'd love to live in Europe.  You can be living in Paris, jump in the car and within 24 hours be in Greece.  Do that in Ontario and you're likely still in the same province after 24 hours of driving.