Walking on someone else’s lawn???

Kman

This is really silly but recently  I have been thinking about as I go to other people’s homes all day long and I find myself never walking across their lawn. Since I park on the street I walk on the road or sidewalk to get to the driveway and then on the sidewalk to the door.  I was just thinking ‘where does that come from’. 

I feel like I remember that I was taught to never walk on some else’s lawn…was anyone else taught that?  

I did grow up in the Midwest and do half the time lawns were covered in snow and then in the spring it would be muddy…so it wouldn’t make sense to walk on it.

I recall being taught to avoid cutting across neighbor's lawns as a kid, instead of cutting corners or taking shortcuts through their property.   My area wasn't particularly lawn crazy, but leaving bike ruts in the grass was probably frowned upon.

As an adult, it seems like common sense to stay off the lawn to avoid tracking in dirt or worse when visiting someone's home. I don't even wear shoes indoors at home anymore.

I do not think walking across someones lawn is a big deal.  Do not know if anyone would notice someone walking across their lawn, they would be inside. There are paths directly to someone's home entrance easier to cross than walking over grass. I live in a room, no lawn at my place in Old Town Pasadena. Would not care.  Try going over lawn, if person says something act stupid say "did not see the path."  In the midwest it rains a lot so walking over lawn would not disturb grass or plants.  People play football and soccer on grass that is destroyed.  Grass is what a lawn is made from. 

The house I now live in is the first that had extensive lawns around it on three sides (I live on a corner lot). When I moved in 14 years ago I noticed that people walking by my house on the sidewalks would cut across my lawn near the corner if they were changing directions at the corner.It sort of annoyed me because they were damaging the grass by making a path. To be honest it was probably nothing new and had been going on for years. 

Anyway I hate cutting grass so set about planting trees and shrubs. I also made a rock cairn near the corner since you can’t have trees near the corner that would block the sight lines for cars (town by-law). I had planted quite a few coniferous trees along with hardwood and the former also give privacy to my backyard, which is by its nature more exposed to walkers-by since I live on a corner. Some people in town on similar lots put in high wooden fences to block off the lawns but I hate them and much prefer landscaping to do the trick.

Within a few years everything had grown incredibly and now they are so large there is only a little grass mostly behind the house. Problem solved.

14 hours ago, Kman said:

This is really silly but recently  I have been thinking about as I go to other people’s homes all day long and I find myself never walking across their lawn. Since I park on the street I walk on the road or sidewalk to get to the driveway and then on the sidewalk to the door.  I was just thinking ‘where does that come from’. 

I feel like I remember that I was taught to never walk on some else’s lawn…was anyone else taught that?  

I did grow up in the Midwest and do half the time lawns were covered in snow and then in the spring it would be muddy…so it wouldn’t make sense to walk on it.

To me, knowing where it comes from is easy. I watch the Investigation Discovery channel, and know of [too] many stories of people who have gotten killed over walking over other people's lawns.

16 hours ago, Kman said:

Walking on the sidewalk seems reasonable, unfortunately some suburbs somehow don't have them. 

So long as you don't pee or shit on someone's lawn, I think you're fine.  I say that because anytime I walk my dogs (and I pick up after them) , neighbors always scowl or say something about them peeing or pooping on the lawn. I respond to them that if they have a problem living in the city where people walk their dogs, then they should consider living in a gated community where rules are in place. 

1 hour ago, Ali Gator said:

So long as you don't pee or shit on someone's lawn, I think you're fine.  I say that because anytime I walk my dogs (and I pick up after them) , neighbors always scowl or say something about them peeing or pooping on the lawn. I respond to them that if they have a problem living in the city where people walk their dogs, then they should consider living in a gated community where rules are in place. 

Huh?

Longtime residents in your neighborhood may be too old to move 😕

On 12/31/2023 at 1:30 PM, WilliamM said:

Huh?

Longtime residents in your neighborhood may be too old to move 😕

The longtime residents are fine. I have no problem with them. 

It's the newbies who have moved into the area buying their first home, and not used to city-living (they all grew up in safe 'burbs, and not used to city neighborhoods).  Heaven forbid a dog pees or poops on their lawn with their "kiddies" play.  They need to protect themselves and their kiddies by moving to a gated community.  

On 12/31/2023 at 11:54 AM, Ali Gator said:

I agree with you but please stay safe! Be careful, some folks might freak out over something like this!

Do they have signs like this? I wonder if signs like this could be legally enforced with the help of cameras? 

41-dLPNAyaL._AC_.jpg

Edited by marylander1940
misspelling

Ii no longer walk my dogs as I have my backyard fenced for them but when IO take thenm out for a stroll and they decide to pee, I try to have it be on pavement.  I do not fuss with the dogs if they are walking on the lawn edge as the pavement may be too hot for their paws.  I do not mind people walking on my lawn though I was taken aback when a parent with an ATV drove up to my door with his kids in a trailer in their Halloween custumes.  I live on a corner and with no sidewalks so sometimes walking on the lawn edge is necessary to avoid car traffic.  I would rather the footprints on the lawn rather than a blood trail. 

I try to be respectful when walking my dog and honor signs to keep pets off their lawn.   I also avoid any space where children might play.  I think the problem originates with pet owners who do not clean up after their pets making all pet owners look bad.   I have some areas that are designed for pets that I try to let my dog relieve himself but sometimes things just happen.   I make sure I clean up after my dog and also a mess made by others pets if I come across them.  

Well what a refreshing conversation.   Sounds like a waste of time to some here,  I would guess.    The reality is,  it shows a degree of respect for the homeowner.

I have been ask if someone "is allowed"  to walk across my lawn,  largely because I keep it looking really nice and a good neighborhood.     

I do civic work and always make sure to walk up a driveway and not across a resident's lawn.   "Think before you walk"   can make sense at times!

4 hours ago, ICTJOCK said:

Well what a refreshing conversation.   Sounds like a waste of time to some here,  I would guess.    The reality is,  it shows a degree of respect for the homeowner.

I have been ask if someone "is allowed"  to walk across my lawn,  largely because I keep it looking really nice and a good neighborhood.     

I do civic work and always make sure to walk up a driveway and not across a resident's lawn.   "Think before you walk"   can make sense at times!

If I didn't already want to hire you before, I certainly want to hire you now after reading your post.  I find a man with a well manicured lawn and respect for other's property to be sexy.  Your phrase "it shows a degree of respect for the homeowner" made me pre-cum a little bit. 😊

5 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

If I didn't already want to hire you before, I certainly want to hire you now after reading your post.  I find a man with a well manicured lawn and respect for other's property to be sexy.  Your phrase "it shows a degree of respect for the homeowner" made me pre-cum a little bit. 😊

IMG_9644.thumb.jpeg.b824dd7095b37539c5bf81d367e12f65.jpeg