Is Thanksgiving Canceled This Year?

Lucky

Wassamatter? Nothing to be thankful for? Our list of upcoming events included some fairly minor ones, but Thanksgiving isn't even listed!

How am I going to express my thanks without it?

Upcoming Events

Edited by Lucky

My wife and I used to celebrate thanksgiving alone.  I worked while she prepared dinner and then when I arrived at home from the office,  I was ready to spend time with the person for whom I was the most thankful.  We even got married on Thanksgiving weekend.  Now, this time, being the 24th year since her passing, I will be having dinner at home.  Usually I am alone and thankful for the solitude and for the fact that I make a great turkey dinner.  I do not leave the country, rather I celebrate the concept of being thankful even if it is being thankful for what once was.  

Of all the holidays, I would say I am most thankful for Thanksgiving.  

Thanksgiving became a big even among my gay friends. I was unable to celebrate it until I was an adult, and I wanted to start my own tradition, so I came up with the idea of celebrating it (that was in 1993). I thought that my friends might not be interested in joining us because they had their own families. Turned out I was wrong. They saw it as the perfect excuse to leave their homophobic and unsupportive families early and join us. That was the first time I had a Thanksgiving dinner. It became a tradition and we did it for years. About a decade later or so it became geographically difficult, and some had now their own partners and in-laws who they wanted to celebrate with, so we ended the tradition. We have been friends since the early 90s, and Thanksgiving always gives me those fond memories.

I was surprised to find out that both Christmas and Thanksgiving had so many people stressed over meeting with family when they didn't want to for many reasons. I've heard many of those stories. To me, celebrating them is a great thing.

3 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

I'm considering breaking my Bottoming Ramadan, but it's baby steps.

Lemme work through the series of buttplugs first.

It's probably better fasted anyway 😜

2 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

I'm considering breaking my Bottoming Ramadan, but it's baby steps.

Lemme work through the series of buttplugs first.

Once you have finished the prep work, I will be trying to get on the list like Swifties on the first day of ticket availability.  No ifs and or butt plugs.  

Thanksgiving is always a great time,  one of my favorite holidays of the year.   Always a family event.     It looks like there may be a rather large meal at my home with family and several friends invited.    My contribution is limited to location and "directing traffic",  along with Christmas decorations.    Looking forward!

6 hours ago, soloyo215 said:

Thanksgiving became a big even among my gay friends. I was unable to celebrate it until I was an adult, and I wanted to start my own tradition, so I came up with the idea of celebrating it (that was in 1993). I thought that my friends might not be interested in joining us because they had their own families. Turned out I was wrong. They saw it as the perfect excuse to leave their homophobic and unsupportive families early and join us. That was the first time I had a Thanksgiving dinner. It became a tradition and we did it for years. About a decade later or so it became geographically difficult, and some had now their own partners and in-laws who they wanted to celebrate with, so we ended the tradition. We have been friends since the early 90s, and Thanksgiving always gives me those fond memories.

I was surprised to find out that both Christmas and Thanksgiving had so many people stressed over meeting with family when they didn't want to for many reasons. I've heard many of those stories. To me, celebrating them is a great thing.

I think that's awesome!!   Congrats on a great tradition and really giving back at a tough time of year for many!

On 11/3/2023 at 3:12 PM, Charlie said:

Although there is an official Thanksgiving in more than one country, they don't all celebrate it on the same date. (e.g., Canada celebrated it on Oct. 9).

I always forget Canada celebrates it that weekend until I wonder why here in Buffalo that weekend all these Canadians are in town.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I always forget Canada celebrates it that weekend until I wonder why here in Buffalo that weekend all these Canadians are in town.

I think our Thanksgiving is in October is because by late November snow is likely to be on the ground in many parts of Canada, which would ruin the idea of harvest of the country’s bounty, the original idea of the holiday.

15 hours ago, Luv2play said:

I think our Thanksgiving is in October is because by late November snow is likely to be on the ground in many parts of Canada, which would ruin the idea of harvest of the country’s bounty, the original idea of the holiday.

And because the Mayflower was a month late arriving at Plymouth Rock, having spent October in Nova Scotia eating lobster suppers.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite quitting meat cold turkey, Martha Stewart’s grandchildren say they’ll only break their pescatarian diets for their granny’s Thanksgiving gobbler.

“They don’t eat meat, but they do eat fish, and they’re allowed to eat one of my turkeys on Thanksgiving, but only on Thanksgiving do they eat anything related to meat,” Stewart, 82, told Business Insider of her pescatarian grandkids.

The “very good kids” — Jude, 12, and Truman, 11 — also offer a helping hand in Stewart’s coveted kitchen, but they’re not the only plant-based foodies in the family.

The celebrity chef’s 58-year-old daughter, Alexis, has been a vegetarian for more than four decades after their family served a lamb from their farm on a platter.

“I tried to pass it off as a pork chop, but she knew the difference,” Stewart admitted to Business Insider. “It didn’t go over very well in our family.”

Despite being surrounded by herbivores, the culinary aficionado swears she’ll never “go vegan.”

“I really don’t enjoy vegan food, and I really love my eggs,” she told the outlet. “But I think I’m over the hill now in terms of eating meat. I have a garden, so I grow almost everything I eat on my farm, even during the winter, and I raise my own chickens for eggs.”

But the “Queen of Thanksgiving” drummed up quite the buzz after she declared her turkey day “canceled,” lamenting being “turkeyed out” after whipping up more than a dozen Butterballs for TV appearances, she said on “The Kelly Clarkson Show.”

Mere days after her uncharacteristic announcement, her tune — or should we say, “gobble” — changed. Thanksgiving, at least for the Stewart household, was back on.

As it turns out, despite canceling her celebrations after guests changed their RSVPs to “no,” she spent this week prepping thirty pies — of the chocolate pecan, pecan and pumpkin varieties — alongside a spread of tarts and a 20-pound “organic, heritage bird” roasted to perfection.

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

Despite quitting meat cold turkey, Martha Stewart’s grandchildren say they’ll only break their pescatarian diets for their granny’s Thanksgiving gobbler....

Copied and pasted verbatim from today's New York Post:

Martha Stewart’s pescatarian grandkids won’t skip Thanksgiving turkey: ‘They’re allowed’
By Brooke Kato
Published Nov. 23, 2023, 10:55 a.m. ET

On 11/3/2023 at 12:02 PM, soloyo215 said:

My young twenty-something son has started this tradition with his friends. Last night he sent me many photos and a few videos of the celebration, and it was fun to see them (many of whom I’ve come to know well). I’m hoping it’s busy schedules and long flights that keep him away from home for this holiday, but, if it’s family politics and stress, I’m grateful he’s happy!

On 11/24/2023 at 6:36 AM, Km411 said:

My young twenty-something son has started this tradition with his friends. Last night he sent me many photos and a few videos of the celebration, and it was fun to see them (many of whom I’ve come to know well). I’m hoping it’s busy schedules and long flights that keep him away from home for this holiday, but, if it’s family politics and stress, I’m grateful he’s happy!

I'm glad to hear that he's doing something to create good memories of Thanksgiving. Since I wasn't part of it until I was an adult, I was very surprised to find out how many people get depressed, stressed and sad over the holiday season beacuse of family issues. I was always under the impression that the holidays were a time to leave differences aside and just love each other, then I think of my family and upbringing, and it all made perfect sense.

In my view, family is important, but those relationships can be full of expectations and emotional baggage, and impede personal growth. Add to it all of the expectations built around the holidays and it becomes a serious recipe for stress. I think friends can provide an objective contrast to familial relationships, and Friendsgiving can be the perfect venue for it. As a parent, I can either be jealous or threatened by his absence at the holidays, or I can appreciate the opportunity it affords him for growth. Since my primary mission is to nurture him, I’ve chosen the latter. And we do visit often, so I know it’s not a rejection of me.

On 11/5/2023 at 11:19 AM, CuriousByNature said:

And because the Mayflower was a month late arriving at Plymouth Rock, having spent October in Nova Scotia eating lobster suppers.

Interestingly enough - Lobsters were not considered edible by humans until the 19th century. Prior to the mid 1800's they were generally fed to pigs.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

On 11/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, soloyo215 said:

I was surprised to find out that both Christmas and Thanksgiving had so many people stressed over meeting with family when they didn't want to for many reasons. I've heard many of those stories.

There's always a big uptick in the number of guys on Grindr looking for PNP on Thanksgiving weekend. I always warn my younger gay friends to be cautious ⚠️.

Lots of PTSD after spending the day with family. It seems, this results in gays spending the following three days drowning themselves in sex and drugs.

Is it really that difficult to navigate a few hours with family with whom, you now have little in common ?