21st Annual Palm Springs Weekend

Oliver

In a breathtaking departure from my normal practice I have just made flight and hotel reservations months out from the event (flights considerably cheaper, Inndulge not so much).

I'll be flying in and out of LAX and plan to rent a car to go to Palm Springs, and I've booked Inndulge from Thursday to Tuesday. It's a bit early to be excited but I'm looking forward to another great weekend of friend- and, err, fellowship, and to making new friends. Bring it on!

37 minutes ago, TeddyBear said:

Just made my reservations at Hacienda.  Can't Wait.

I got the last room.  I saw that TruthBTold made reservations and thought I need to act now..  I don't recall any other attendees of this event staying here.

It's the nicest of its kind and has been my favorite for years! I hope you find it as classy and hospitable as I do 👏🏽

4 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

I slept on the sofa at a room at the Hacienda one night.......really nice place.......(my forum weekend roommate needed me out of our room for a night and another helpful forum member came to my rescue......just like back in college!)

8lEDEpWaRvObP2qzhw5G_268bdc58511eff9fde0

You can always crash at my place @ Hacienda for the night bro….

Well, unless Vin finds this way into my bed….then you’re on your own.

grin

1 hour ago, Pensant said:

You all were wise to check. Looks like no vacancies anywhere. And the prices!

Before moving to Palm Springs, besides staying at Inndulge, I stayed at the Triangle Inn many times. It’s a nice place. You might want to check it out if you’re looking for a room.  Triangle-Inn.com  +17603227993 

Santiago  is another nice option. Santiagoresort.com

4 hours ago, Pensant said:

Thanks @BobPS I’ll check them out; otherwise it’s highly unlikely that I’ll attend. 

I just cancelled my Queen room at Triangle Inn, so it should become available sometime today.  Also, there's inexpensive rooms available at Canyon Club.  I booked a 2 bedroom room at El Mirasol Villas, and a friend will be joining me.  El Mirasol Villas may have other rooms available, too, but you need to call them or message them via their website.

Just FYI, I was in communication with the folks at Inndulge yesterday (9/26). They do still have rooms available, but they've set a filter in their booking system requiring a minimum 5 night stay for our weekend, because of high demand. If you enter arrival and departure dates with less than 5 nights between them, the rooms don't show up as available. I'm currently booked there for four nights in a 1BR suite, because I reserved before they added this policy (although I admit I am considering adding a 5th night, because by April I really am going to need some serious relaxation time).  If somebody is considering a longer stay, Inndulge is still an option. I don't know how many rooms are still available or how long they'll last, but I thought I should share the info. 

41 minutes ago, leo2510 said:

Canyon Club had rooms for the weekend, but the pricing is about 25% higher than years past- that seems to be case for everything in today's life.

And the pity is that they've let it go.... 😕 

Edited by Vin_Marco

On 9/24/2023 at 3:31 PM, TeddyBear said:

Just made my reservations at Hacienda.  Can't Wait.

I got the last room.  I saw that TruthBTold made reservations and thought I need to act now..  I don't recall any other attendees of this event staying here.

I can imagine you saw that if that lazy ass actually made a reservation you probably thought it might be a good idea to reserve a room.  😁   I am glad that you were able to get a room.  I am not sure if you have stayed there before but I think you will really like it.  And you can walk right across the street to Inndulge.  It will be great to know someone there.  

Also, the Coachella festival is April 12 - 14 and April 19 - 21.  Not exactly what part of the people who attend that music festival get rooms down in Palm Springs but that might cause some of the congestion of rooms and make everything expensive.  If I remember right that festival is really expensive to attend and has very famous people playing.  

6 minutes ago, TruthBTold said:

Also, the Coachella festival is April 12 - 14 and April 19 - 21.  Not exactly what part of the people who attend that music festival get rooms down in Palm Springs but that might cause some of the congestion of rooms and make everything expensive.  If I remember right that festival is really expensive to attend and has very famous people playing.  

And it turns the small Palm Springs airport / flights into a shit show.

Book early and travel with an airline with whom you have status.
And have a "Plan B". 
There will be problems.
Trust me. 

9 hours ago, nycman said:

And it turns the small Palm Springs airport / flights into a shit show.

Book early and travel with an airline with whom you have status.
And have a "Plan B". 
There will be problems.
Trust me. 

Why not move the date like either before or after Coachella? (Probably before would be better because the Coachella grounds will be used by the Stagecoach festival—which is exactly like Coachella but all country music)

Edited by newdad

5 hours ago, newdad said:

Why not move the date like either before or after Coachella? (Probably before would be better because the Coachella grounds will be used by the Stagecoach festival—which is exactly like Coachella but all country music)

I recall that suggestion being made in prior years.

There has been much hand-wringing over the years about the chosen forum weekend. In fact, with Stagecoach/Coachella/Easter/White Party/Indian Wells/what-have-you, every weekend is very busy in Palm Springs thru the winter/spring. The forum weekend host generously gives his time to this and tries to balance warm weather with his own winter/spring "snowbird" schedule. 

Edited by azdr0710

The weekend is picked by Oliver, who has hosted this event for many years. If you would like to host an event on a different weekend I suggest you arrange it and put the time and money into it that Oliver does. Oliver has invited us and you have a simple choice to make, accept or decline the invitation.

Edited by sf westcoaster

It has always been hard to find the right date for the PS Weekend. When we started the event in 2005, we did it in February, because it happened to fit Lucky's and my schedule, and it included a group visit to the theater to see a show. Once Oliver offered to host the event and include a pool party, weather became more of a factor; I remember one year when it was so cold that we had to rent outdoor heaters to put around the pool. After that, Oliver moved the event to April, which also worked better for his schedule, but it's hard to find any weekend in March or April that doesn't conflict with some other public event in the Coachella Valley, because those happen to be the ideal months in the first half of the year to do anything here.

5 hours ago, sf westcoaster said:

The weekend is picked by Oliver, who has hosted this event for many years. If you would like to host an event on a different weekend I suggest you arrange it and put the time and money into it that Oliver does. Oliver has invited us and you have a simple choice to make, accept or decline the invitation.

It's good to have this context.  Many readers may not realize that this is a hosted event, and consequently, dependent on the host's availability and schedule.  Some may have understandably but incorrectly assumed the date is chosen by the Moderators or another subgroup of the forum.  

Edited by CuriousByNature

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very excited to see everyone, looking forward to meeting people coming for the first time and also all the familiar faces ☺️ I'm actually going to the pool party on Sunday, something I've always seem to evade 😜  It's a great event, pity I didn't start attending sooner but it's a very long complicated story 🤣

6 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

I'm very excited to see everyone, looking forward to meeting people coming for the first time and also all the familiar faces ☺️ I'm actually going to the pool party on Sunday, something I've always seem to evade 😜  It's a great event, pity I didn't start attending sooner but it's a very long complicated story 🤣

The subtle slow seduction to get Danny to the Sunday pool party has taken several years and ultimately a public invitation with a signed contractual agreement.   He was just not ready to jump in the pool rather he was urged in one toe at a time.