Any experience with Wegovy?

BeamerBikes

230725115252-emily-wright.jpg?c=16x9&q=w
WWW.CNN.COM

Doctors say more cases of people with stomach paralysis after taking popular drugs like Ozempic and Wegovy are coming to light.

"Joanie Knight has a message for anyone considering drugs like Ozempic or Wegovy, which have become popular for the dramatic weight loss they can help people achieve. “I wish I never touched it. I wish I’d never heard of it in my life,” said Knight, 37, of Angie, Louisiana. “This medicine made my life hell. So much hell. It has cost me money. It cost me a lot of stress; it cost me days and nights and trips with my family. It’s cost me a lot, and it’s not worth it. The price is too high.” Brenda Allen, 42, of Dallas feels the same way. Her doctor prescribed Wegovy for weight loss.

“And even now, being off the medication for almost a year, I’m still having a lot of problems,” Allen said. She said she was at urgent care recently after vomiting so much that she became dehydrated.

Emily Wright, 38, a teacher in Toronto, started taking Ozempic in 2018. Over a year, she said, she lost 80 pounds, which she’s been able to keep off. But Wright said she now vomits so frequently that she had to take a leave of absence from her job.“I’ve almost been off Ozempic for a year, but I’m still not back to my normal,” Wright said.

The diabetes drug Ozempic, and its sister drug for weight loss, Wegovy, utilize the same medication, semaglutide. These and other drugs in this family, which includes medications like tirzepatide and liraglutide, work by mimicking a hormone that’s naturally made by the body, GLP-1. One of the roles of GLP-1 is to slow the passage of food through the stomach, which helps people feel fuller longer. If the stomach slows down too much, however, that can cause problems..."

The medication's effective and fairly safe. Just be aware of the risks. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dbar123 said:

Not a fan of taking these kinds of drugs as they also reduce muscle mass. If you do take them you need to be doing resistance training so you don’t become frail and gaunt from “Ozempic face.”

Please tell me how resistance training will protect a user from Ozempic face.

• 2 months later...
WWW.CNBC.COM

The findings could expand use of Wegovy and help Novo maintain its lead over Eli Lilly, whose competing weight-loss drug Zepbound was just approved in the U.S.

Considering so many members of this forum have shared their fight against obesity I would like to know if any of them is currently taking or knows a friend who does. 

Edited by marylander1940

On 8/12/2023 at 9:24 AM, dbar123 said:

Not a fan of taking these kinds of drugs as they also reduce muscle mass. If you do take them you need to be doing resistance training so you don’t become frail and gaunt from “Ozempic face.”

This--along with the Gi stuff-- has kept me from pulling the trigger. 

People gravitate to these panaceas without taking into account the often horrific side effects. I’ve gradually come to believe that, for me at least, the less pharma products the better, except for well-researched and effective drugs. I understand how beneficial some of these are for diabetics and the obese, where the weight is the main driver of poor health. I’ll be interested in reading members’ experiences with this new class of weight control drugs.

3 hours ago, Pensant said:

People gravitate to these panaceas without taking into account the often horrific side effects. I’ve gradually come to believe that, for me at least, the less pharma products the better, except for well-researched and effective drugs. I understand how beneficial some of these are for diabetics and the obese, where the weight is the main driver of poor health. I’ll be interested in reading members’ experiences with this new class of weight control drugs.

I don't take Wegovy, but I do take Trulicity for type 2 diabetes.    i have lost weight since i started using it 

I have used Mounjaro, a similar drug. I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic. I chose to take it for weight loss (and insurance did not cover it). It is not a fad diet type of thing like we’ve seen in the past. It works very well (along with choosing a proper diet and plenty of exercise). I lost 50lbs using it. My mother recently started using it and it’s going well for her (she’s 1 month in). 

I think some people do have ill side effects from these drugs. You have to start with a low dose and ease into to make sure you won’t have these bad side effects. If you do, simply stop the drug. It might not work for you. From what I understand, it has worked well for lots of people, way more than those you hear about in the news with the bad side effects. 

For me, it suppressed my appetite. I didn’t crave foods and almost had to remember/force myself to eat. It slows digestion so you feel fuller longer. It’s an amazing drug and experience for someone who has always loved food and indulged. 

I lost my weight over a 6 month period, so it wasn’t anything too fast. I think I avoided the “Ozempic face”. Lol. I also play a lot of tennis, so I think the exercise helped me from losing too much muscle mass. 

I was prescribed it and took it from January through May.  It REALLY does curb one's appetite and make you not hungry.  I lost at least 25 pounds if not more.  But due to my doctors' not dosing me correctly (they fell behind and kept me on a lower dosage for a cycle or two).  I was still in the starter category and could not get any.  Still can't.  Gained back the weight as my appetite and cravings came back.

Somewhat off topic, but if these drugs are not available or desirable to you, there is promising research into some natural sources of GLP-1, the hormone they imitate. As with any new territory in health, diet, fitness, etc... this does not constitute medical advice, though NPR is the secondary source translating the scientific results.

WWW.NPR.ORG

Popular weight-loss drugs mimic GLP-1, a hormone the body makes naturally after eating. Turns out some foods trigger GLP-1 better than others, making us...

As a type 2 diabetic, I have issues with prescribing these drugs solely for weight loss.  I've been on full dose Ozempic for about four months now.  I got no appetite suppression benefit for the first few weeks I was on the drug because of high triglycerides (because of uncontrolled glucose).  Pancreatitis can result on full dose (2mg) with high triglycerides.  Once under control, I was prescribed full dose Ozempic and about a week or so after starting at full dose, my appetite did a Titanic.  When I would eat out, I was so used to ordering as I had for years that I would end up ordering too much.  Don't get me wrong, I was hungry when I sat down to eat, but after a few bites, it was all over.  I lost about nine or ten pounds.  Then, partially as a result of prescribing to non-diabetics for weight loss, pharmacies started experiencing chronic shortages.  A month and a half ago, none of the pharmacies in my network could get ANY Ozempic.  I was out for ten days.  When I got back on the Ozempic, my body had apparently developed a tolerance for the drug, and the appetite suppression effect was over.  My pharmacist said, "your body just got used to it."

I understand the battle of the bulge.  I have always had mine.  Ozempic was a miracle.  The miracle, for me however, didn't last and is unlikely to happen again.  Fortunately, the drug still helps me keep my numbers in check.  My last a1c at below 7.5 was the best number I have had since I was diagnosed.  Folks...please...I know these drugs really cut into your hunger, but keep in mind that they are drugs for controlling diabetes first and foremost, and because they are over prescribed and off-label there ARE shortages.  Give some thought to other people who have a chronic, potentially body destroying condition before you commit to one of these drugs and you aren't diabetic.  We'd appreciate it.

Edited by randeman
typo

Quick(er) fixes are rarely without caveats. There's no such thing as a magic pill. 

The game is are you strong enough to handle the side effects in order to gain the benefit.

'Ozempic face' is only a concern for people who are thinner to begin with and use the drug to seriously cut down to sub 10% bf.

44 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Quick(er) fixes are rarely without caveats. There's no such thing as a magic pill. 

The game is are you strong enough to handle the side effects in order to gain the benefit.

'Ozempic face' is only a concern for people who are thinner to begin with and use the drug to seriously cut down to sub 10% bf.

Brother Benjamin is correct! 
Even if there was a magic 🪄 pill 💊 I wouldn't want it..... it would encourage and entice people to make terrible food choices with a false sense of impunity. 
Luckily for me, I have a naturally round face so when I do get myself under 10% bodyfat, my face just looks tight not sunken in or gaunt. 

The good doctor 👨🏻‍⚕️ @purplekow would be a good resource for this question 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Vin_Marco

55 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

Brother Benjamin is correct! 
Even if there was a magic 🪄 pill 💊 I wouldn't want it..... it would encourage and entice people to make terrible food choices with a false sense of impunity. 
Luckily for me, I have a naturally round face so when I do get myself under 10% bodyfat, my face just looks tight not sunken in or gaunt. 

The good doctor 👨🏻‍⚕️ @purplekow would be a good resource for this question 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

No clue what triggered it, but about 20 years ago, I spontaneously developed the ability to control my eating.  If I felt like a pigout, I could do it and return to normal eating with no problem.    I didn't have any difficulty with over-indulging at holidays.  I starting pacing myself at meals so it would take me a half hour or so to eat.  I wish I could share with people how I did it, but I really can't - any issues I had with food just sort of resolved. 

4 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

No clue what triggered it, but about 20 years ago, I spontaneously developed the ability to control my eating.  If I felt like a pigout, I could do it and return to normal eating with no problem.    I didn't have any difficulty with over-indulging at holidays.  I starting pacing myself at meals so it would take me a half hour or so to eat.  I wish I could share with people how I did it, but I really can't - any issues I had with food just sort of resolved. 

Self control, discipline, well played clap 👏🏽 

I also want to add that I empathize with people who have medical conditions that prevent them from letting the calories in calories out work in their favor, or exercise and  or "healthy" eating habit's....  I know things like thyroid issues, and others are things that make people rely on medication's and that they are necessary..

I would say having a dad who is a type 2 diabetic on ozempic the biggest issue I see is diabetics who actually need the medication for it’s initial purpose cannot find it at their local pharmacies. While people who are taking it to lose the extra 10 to 20 lbs are taking up the supply in the suburban areas. 

It’s sad seeing someone who actually need the medication has to travel almost 2 hours just to find his prescription, while upper class gay men who have contacts are taking this medication instead of adjusting their diet or even just change their exercise routine and talking about taking ozempic like it’s taking a multivitamin.

That’s the main reason why I am trying to change my habits now, I have family members who have health issues like this on both sides and I don’t want to rely on these types of medication that we don’t know the overall long term effect’s especially if it’s not it’s initial purpose. 

Just my viewpoint based on the scope of the world I live in. 

Wegovy seems to have about the same effect on weight loss as Ozempic.  The side effect profile is about the same.  Side effects do not need to be listed in the package insert unless they meet a criterion of causing side effects about a threshold percentage of users.  So most of the side effects in the package insert are usually mild and frequent, such as nausea and vomiting.  Other side effects may be less common and not have the same need to be included in the package insert.   

Recently the government has declared that Ozempic supplies were so low as to permit compounding of the drug by accredited compounding pharmacies.  As a result, there are companies other than the brand producer who are making Ozempic.  So if you are getting Ozempic, make sure you are getting the actual product brand name.  If the packaging is not correct, you may be getting a pharmacy compounded form of the drug which may be fine or which may not reach the same stand of manufacturing scrupulousness as the brand name.  

8 hours ago, adunn1992 said:

I would say having a dad who is a type 2 diabetic on ozempic the biggest issue I see is diabetics who actually need the medication for it’s initial purpose cannot find it at their local pharmacies. While people who are taking it to lose the extra 10 to 20 lbs are taking up the supply in the suburban areas. 

It’s sad seeing someone who actually need the medication has to travel almost 2 hours just to find his prescription, while upper class gay men who have contacts are taking this medication instead of adjusting their diet or even just change their exercise routine and talking about taking ozempic like it’s taking a multivitamin.

That’s the main reason why I am trying to change my habits now, I have family members who have health issues like this on both sides and I don’t want to rely on these types of medication that we don’t know the overall long term effect’s especially if it’s not it’s initial purpose. 

Just my viewpoint based on the scope of the world I live in. 

Unfortunate, yes, but capitalism.

It's not just upper class gay men who can pay for access.  It's anyone with the cash.  This is America.

The same situation is also happening to those who truly need adderall vs those who have vanity scripts.  The shortage is kicking the mental shit out of a lot of people.

Silver lining:  The drug companies will ramp up production (unless they see an even greater profit from keeping it in a shortage).  This hopefully won't last long.

There's also competitors who will formulate their own, perhaps better, version. 

Gotta love a free-market economy :)