Any experience with Wegovy?

BeamerBikes

On 12/22/2023 at 9:28 PM, Simon Suraci said:

These drugs sound like more trouble than it’s worth. And it’s not permanent. Even if you experience success without any major side effects, you still have to stay on the drug indefinitely… as soon as you stop the meds, the weight comes right back!

Meanwhile your body still needs adequate nutrients every day. Not eating enough quantity and variety of the right foods poses other problems.

What about good old fashioned lipo? 😛

IMG_0807.jpeg.cc5cce59a8ae915cf1f1ce497aef39cc.jpeg

New and improved versions of these drugs will be available very soon because of all the money there is to make.  Id say sit on the sidelines while these new versions hit the market.  A friend is currently on Ozempic and says he experiences side effects if he eats greasy fatty fried foods.  

I have seen the pill form for sale at Canadian mail order pharmacies for 1/2 the price.  I'm am very careful when reading articles bashing these drugs.  Think of all the bariatric surgeons that will not be able to replace there porsches or buy new beach homes.  They must be getting nervous. 

My friend purchases his supply in South America for about 1/3 of the USA cost.  Just wait and continue exercising and you will soon be able to get the pens out of a vending machine.

6 hours ago, Deadlift1 said:

New and improved versions of these drugs will be available very soon because of all the money there is to make.  Id say sit on the sidelines while these new versions hit the market.  A friend is currently on Ozempic and says he experiences side effects if he eats greasy fatty fried foods.  

I have seen the pill form for sale at Canadian mail order pharmacies for 1/2 the price.  I'm am very careful when reading articles bashing these drugs.  Think of all the bariatric surgeons that will not be able to replace there porsches or buy new beach homes.  They must be getting nervous. 

My friend purchases his supply in South America for about 1/3 of the USA cost.  Just wait and continue exercising and you will soon be able to get the pens out of a vending machine.

Well said. As with SSRIs, I think the market will be bursting with better versions in a few years.

Interesting point on bariatric surgeon and negative articles. It will be interesting to see where that field goes now that non-invasive alternatives are available. As for the negative articles, I wonder how many are coming from insurance industry shills as well.

13 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

@samhexum @auguHow are things going with you? Sam, I hope you’re able to get more meds soon. 

On 1/2/2024 at 2:40 PM, samhexum said:

My doctor said I could try Monjaro if I want, since people lose more weight with it than Ozempic, but I was just on the phone with a very helpful rep from United Healthcare who explained to me that you fall into the medicare coverage gap the minute your drug costs exceed $5030, and that either drug costs $3000+ for a 3 month supply, so I think I'll stay with Metformin for now and see if I start to regain the weight.

Up 6 pounds, with no sign of slowing down.  That's less the lack of Ozempic than me 'falling off the wagon' after Xmas when Stop & Shop had a clearance sale in January because they were phasing out their delivery service from a distribution warehouse (& changing to Instacart from their stores).  75% off many things no human being could resist ordering at that price...

An apple pie for $1.75

6 bagels $.80

Full size bags BBQ chips $.67

Reduced fat Cool Whip $.82

More than a few frozen things (see below)

Plus, the occasional healthy thing like almonds, pecans, frozen spinach

Plus, I have magical online shopping powers and got 15 boxes of saltines for 17 cents apiece.  (I like crackers in my soup & now have enough for a couple of years).

So, no carbs at all...

(a few of these frozen items were for a friend and have already been given to her)

full freezer.jpg

full freezer door.jpg

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

8 hours ago, samhexum said:

Up 6 pounds, with no sign of slowing down.  That's less the lack of Ozempic than me 'falling off the wagon' after Xmas when Stop & Shop had a clearance sale in January because they were phasing out their delivery service from a distribution warehouse (& changing to Instacart from their stores).  75% off many things no human being could resist ordering at that price...

An apple pie for $1.75

6 bagels $.80

Full size bags BBQ chips $.67

Reduced fat Cool Whip $.82

More than a few frozen things (see below)

Plus, the occasional healthy thing like almonds, pecans, frozen spinach

Plus, I have magical online shopping powers and got 15 boxes of saltines for 17 cents apiece.  (I like crackers in my soup & now have enough for a couple of years).

So, no carbs at all...

(a few of these frozen items were for a friend and have already been given to her)

full freezer.jpg

full freezer door.jpg

Hard to resist eating during the holidays and during the sales afterwards! Six pounds is just a blip.  

Remember that your health and mobility are worth a lot. The savings from medications and medical care alone amount to thousands of dollars a year. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

I envy those who can fast. If I eat too little during the day, I don't sleep. 

Every morning I make a smoothie with coconut water, apple, kale, ginger root, lime and turmeric.  Have that as breakfast and then a low carb lunch.   Hit the gym 4-5 days a week. 

Update: I've lost some 30+ lbs. It's been fairly consistent weight loss over 6+ months

I've gotten the lecture from well intended coworkers about unknown long term side effects with new medications. My response is simple: I know what the long term side effects will be if I don't make this change from my own experience: Sleep apnea, lower back issues, high triglycerides, high blood pressure meds, multiple abdominal hernias, family history of early cardiac death / disabling strokes.  

My doctor asked if I have a specific goal in mind, I just want to be sub obese 5'8" 180s. 

Will I continue to be on this drug for maintenance after goal weight?  Unknown. I'll make the decision later in the year with input from my doctors. 

For me, this continues to be the right decision with manageable side effects.  

On 11/19/2023 at 8:48 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Quick(er) fixes are rarely without caveats. There's no such thing as a magic pill. 

The game is are you strong enough to handle the side effects in order to gain the benefit.

'Ozempic face' is only a concern for people who are thinner to begin with and use the drug to seriously cut down to sub 10% bf.

Sub 10% BF will show in your face no matter how you achieve it. 

3 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Agree, but that's what a talented injector is for.

The right hand and product can take 'runner's face' and make it look fantastic again. 

I'm glad to know that - what do you think is the best product?

8 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Juvederm makes different formulas for different parts of the face.

Tear troughs (under eye):  Volbella

Jawline: Volux

Temples/Cheeks/Chin: Voluma XC

Thanks for this, Benjamin.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 5:46 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Agree, but that's what a talented injector is for.

The right hand and product can take 'runner's face' and make it look fantastic again. 

I never thought a runners face was bad.  But maybe you can explain.  Is that sagging from low bf and the up and down motion of running itself?  

50 minutes ago, Deadlift1 said:

I never thought a runners face was bad.  But maybe you can explain.  Is that sagging from low bf and the up and down motion of running itself?  

It's when you run enough to wear down the natural fat pads in the periorbital area, leading to looking hollow and skeleton-like.

You can also hollow out in your temples as well, changing the shape of your face/head.

Less body fat = aged, wrinkled skin. 

A good injector and supplements can help keep this from happening.

Been on Ozempic since late last summer (now on .50 dose).  Had a very had time with side effects for a very long time in the beginning, diarrhea mostly, and some nausea, was ready to give it up, but finally, after all this time doing better.  I learned certain foods were triggers for the side effects.

When I started, my A1C had always been just a skosh under diabetic level.  I was pre-diabetic for years.  Now, my last A1C was down to 5.4.  

Before Ozempic, my weight had ballooned up to 268 (5 foot 5 inches).  My weight has since gone down to as low as 242, but has fluctuated between that and 250.

So I wasn't going to come back here to this forum but decided to share my experience in case it helps anyone.

I am not a user of Wegovy, but I do use one of the other medications in this class.  I went on the medication to manage another health issue, but yes, weight loss was a welcome side effect of using it.

The headline: My Experience : this medication is life changing and I am not exaggerating

*  my primary medical condition has been successfully managed, almost since the start

* I have lost a significant amount of weight.  I never believed I would be under 200lbs again in my lifetime.  On this medication, I am way under this goal.

* I have the ability to experience feeling full for the first time in my life.  I was never able to feel this before (sans being stuffed from a buffet) .  I am no longer obsessed with food 24/7.  I no longer crave only bad things.  I can eat things in moderation.

* I was able to curtail other bad habits.  I was able to completely give up my 6 pack + diet soda daily obsession.  I stopped eating fried foods.  I made many other healthy lifestyle changes.  I was even able to curtail my compulsive gambling to moderation!  I am a strong believer the medication works on many obsessive/compulsive behaviors.

The bad;

*It can cause digestive "distress'.  The way this medication works in part is to make things take longer to digest so you feel full and longer.  It takes getting used to.  Diarrhea can be an issue, especially early on.  helpful tip:  ACTIVA is your friend!

*Medication can be hard to get refilled (frustrating supply issue)

*You need to make sure Dr's know you are on these meds prior to anesthesia.  It takes more time to get food completely out of your system which can interfere.

Might there be better medications in he future?  Of course.  For me, this drug was nothing short of a miracle, and I am very glad I took the risk and didn't wait.  My life is definitely better.

Edited by down_to_business

On 12/26/2023 at 8:06 PM, BeamerBikes said:

I've been on the journey since August 2023.  I'm plateauing out 1.7mg/week right now past couple months.  The side effects were manageable with little indigestion/nausea for me.  I've dropped roughly 25 lbs since August.  

It's not the right decision for everyone, but I feel this is the right decision for me.

2854035.gif