So Being Gay in The 50's Was Like This?

Becket

The video served its purpose at the time it was made.  It was common for boys to hitchhike, and most women didn't drive.   Girls were already taught not to take rides from men.   This video was a way of alerting boys that some men would try to take advantage of them as well.  With today's culture, hindsight shows it would have been better to focus on pedophiles of both sexes who prey on children of both sexes.  But just look at what that has done to Generation Z!  Parents of Generation Z for the most part don't let their children have sleep overs, take rides, or play sports unless the parents are at every practice to watch over them.

As well intentioned as these videos are, I think society is worse off for being so overprotective of our children.

14 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

As well intentioned as these videos are, I think society is worse off for being so overprotective of our children.

I understand your point of view, but today's society is far, far more predatory for children than it was in the days of those videos.  If I were a parent of young children today, I would be a horror of overprotection, just sending them off for a day at school would be terrifying for me.

8 minutes ago, Lucky said:

That is simply not true. Heterosexuals are 75% of child molesters.

That statistic alone would demonstrate a higher ratio of homosexual molestation.

If 75% are heterosexual and 25% are homosexual, and only 10% of the population is homosexual...That would mean gay men are significantly more likely to be a child molester.

Where did you get that 75% statistic ?

In sixth grade, midwestern public school sex education in 1968 included this film for the boys, along with “Boy To Man” a similarly produced educational film about the biology and plumbing of puberty and reproduction.
Boomers were perhaps the largest generation to be indoctrinated with the self-loathing from mass-produced misinformation passing as “Sex Education” especially regarding the social (and societal) aspects of sexuality. No one ever came out while in high school. 

4 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

So if that's true it would be 90% heterosexual and 10 - 15% homosexual. In line with the population of gay men. Not 25% 

Thanks for pointing that out. That’s what I get for posting impulsively.

8 hours ago, Rudynate said:

Thanks for pointing that out. That’s what I get for posting impulsively.

You're  right about equal amounts of young girls and young boys reporting inappropriate sexual behavior from adults. Both about 25%. But you can't say that's equal when only 10-15% of the general population are gay. 85% of the population committing 25% of the crime vs 15% of the population committing the other 25% is a VERY different thing.

When you do the math the statistic actually shows a MUCH higher likelihood of gay men to engage in inappropriate sexual activity with underage boys.

I'm going to asssume that everyone who's claiming it to be "equal" is also forgetting to do the math.

But as @marylander1940 pointed out these incidents could be conducted by bisexual or homosexual men. There doesn't seem to be any clear statistics about how many of the men who abused boys were homosexual v.s. bisexual. ( Or even how many of the girls).

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

I am confused by the cóctel of anecdotal and actual statistical information in this thread. If anyone wants to share what their family members did or any personal experience, great! Thanks for sharing. But all that experience is useless for making broader generalizations.

About what seems to be actual statistics, a couple of questions:

• @Lucky, what is your source for the 75/25% breakdown of hetero/homo molesters? Even if we have a source, I do not see the information by gender, and in this thread, everyone seems to be talking about male abusers.
  • @pubic_assistance, I do not understand why your last post says that 25% of boys and girls report abuse, and then you jump to talk about homosexual abusers. Knowing that 25% of boys and girls are abused does not tell us anything about the sexual preference and gender of their abusers.

I apologize if I am missing anything; I am arriving at this conversation now, and how everyone compares oranges to apples is very confusing. 

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

You're  right about equal amounts of young girls and young boys reporting inappropriate sexual behavior from adults. Both about 25%. But you can't say that's equal when only 10-15% of the general population are gay. 85% of the population committing 25% of the crime vs 15% of the population committing the other 25% is a VERY different thing.

When you do the math the statistic actually shows a MUCH higher likelihood of gay men to engage in inappropriate sexual activity with underage boys.

I'm going to asssume that everyone who's claiming it to be "equal" is also forgetting to do the math.

But as @marylander1940 pointed out these incidents could be conducted by bisexual or homosexual men. There doesn't seem to be any clear statistics about how many of the men who abused boys were homosexual v.s. bisexual. ( Or even how many of the girls).

You're not doing the right math.  What I said was that the "incidence" is equal.    For example, X% in heterosexuals and X% in homosexuals.   So, if we accept the estimated incdence of homosexuals in the general population as 10% , for every single homosexual pedophile in the general population, there will be 10 heterosexual pedophiles.  

10 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I know that's what you said.

So I looked it up myself

The numbers don't agree with you.

The proportions of heterosexual and homosexual pedophiles among sex offenders against children: an exploratory study

Affiliations

"the ratio of heterosexual to homosexual pedophiles was calculated to be approximately 11:1."

5 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

I see.  I remember reading that statistic somewhere, but I'm not married to it, if your's is from a reliable source. 

I feel a song coming on...

Maybe posters should avoid presenting statistics as hard facts if they have no idea from where those statistics came. "I heard it somewhere" is hardly a good source. 

I was curious because I'd never even thought about the subject before this conversation thread.

I can tell you I came across a few articles that made the same claim. That the incidents are "equal". But this claim runs into the same problem. If the incidents of boys molested by men and girls molested by men are "equal" that does mean a higher PERCENTAGE of homosexuals are guilty when you factor in that the population of gay men is far less than heterosexual men. ( Which they are not mentioning) and therefore distorting their conclusions. I can only guess these articles are written specifically to dispell the stereotype by deliberately misinterpreting the numbers.

Unemployment does the same. Numbers are always quoted as number of people who are actively collecting unemployment insurance instead of including the number of people who are unemployed long past their insurance runs out. Makes for a better statistic.

As with all data you need to compare apples to apples and not be tricked into an incomplete comparisons to make a point .

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

6 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I was curious because I'd never even thought about the subject before this conversation thread.

I can tell you I came across a few articles that made the same claim. That the incidents are "equal". But this claim runs into the same problem. If the incidents of boys molested by men and girls molested by men are "equal" that does mean a higher PERCENTAGE of homosexuals are guilty when you factor in that the population of gay men is far less than heterosexual men. ( Which they are not mentioning) and therefore distorting their conclusions. I can only guess these articles are written specifically to dispell the stereotype by deliberately misinterpreting the numbers.

Unemployment does the same. Numbers are always quoted as number of people who are actively collecting unemployment insurance instead of including the number of people who are unemployed long past their insurance runs out. Makes for a better statistic.

As with all data you need to compare apples to apples and not be tricked into an incomplete comparisons to make a point .

You seem to  be confusing the word "incidents" with "incidence."   I never said a word about "incidents."  

33 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I feel a song coming on...

Maybe posters should avoid presenting statistics as hard facts if they have no idea from where those statistics came. "I heard it somewhere" is hardly a good source. 

I didn't say it was a hard statistic.  I said, "I think I remember reading . . ."  Ordinarily, but not always, I qualify such a statement by saying , "if this is correct . . ." or "if I remember correctly . . ."  Anything I say should always be contrued as my opinion.   If someone cites hard evidence that contradicts my opinion, I'm always happy to consider it.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:28 AM, Vegas_Millennial said:

The video served its purpose at the time it was made.  It was common for boys to hitchhike, and most women didn't drive.   Girls were already taught not to take rides from men.   This video was a way of alerting boys that some men would try to take advantage of them as well.  With today's culture, hindsight shows it would have been better to focus on pedophiles of both sexes who prey on children of both sexes.  But just look at what that has done to Generation Z!  Parents of Generation Z for the most part don't let their children have sleep overs, take rides, or play sports unless the parents are at every practice to watch over them.

I can't imagine growing up the way those kids are being raised.  I grew up in a classic small-town America environment.   During the summer, when we were out of school. we left the house after breakfast, did what we wanted and went where we felt like it 'til lunchtime, then went where we wanted and did what we felt like doing until dinner time.  My niece has a one-year old daughter.  Her parents take care of the daughter a lot.  Their house is exhaustively child-proofed.  I find it weird. 

49 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

So it looks like some posters are misreading information to develop interpretations that fit their bias. 

Agree.  My childhood education regarding homosexuality was similar to the video presented by the original poster, despite growing up in the 1980s and 1990s.  The only real difference was I experienced my childhood in living color, instead of black and white. 😆

My information stems from a time when I worked with victims of sexual assault. It was reported then that 75% of molesters hit on females, 25% hit on males. We also didn't classify the molesters as straight or gay since child molesting indicates an illness, not a sexual orientation. I've been out of this field for a long time, so if those stats no longer hold up, I still would doubt that they have changed significantly.

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

child molesting indicates an illness, not a sexual orientation. I

Exactly. What I can't seem to find in the data that's available online is statistics about how many otherwise-seemingly-heterosexual men have been accused of molesting boys. I would assume this is a category, since as you stated pedophilia and sexual identity are different.

17 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

25% of reported cases? Of convictions? Parents are more likely to sweep the molestation of teen girls under the rug(”she should have refused”) than they are for boys. We see this with the disproportionate concern about “grooming” by gay men.

Edited by FreshFluff