So Being Gay in The 50's Was Like This?

Becket

It seems to be a warning to avoid child molestors. Of course, it's homophobic because most gay men were thought to be pedophiles back then. 

The same guy made a similar film aimed at both boys and girls. Be forewarned: It includes graphic crime scene photos and reenacts the events that led to the crime.

Edited by FreshFluff

7 minutes ago, FreshFluff said:

it's homophobic because most gay men were thought to be pedophiles back then. 

Most gay men weren't child molesters but many were.

The Social stigma of being known as a homosexual  and the risk of being exposed lead many men to turn to horny teenagers who could more easily be manipulated to keep their sexual encounters quiet especially at a time when the girls weren't putting out anyway.

21 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

The Social stigma of being known as a homosexual  and the risk of being exposed lead many men to turn to horny teenagers who could more easily be manipulated to keep their sexual encounters quiet especially at a time when the girls weren't putting out anyway.

I think it's the opposite. Even putting the moral element aside, few normal gay men wanted to deal with minors. Teenagers were more likely to turn violent. And the parents could easily find out. 

There's a book published in 1970 called Tearoom Trade that covers this extensively. Most gay men stayed away from "chicken."  The few men who were into kids were deeply closeted, even for the time, and in denial. 

Edited by FreshFluff

The part that stuck with me was toward the end, when the kid who was being groomed by the "evil homosexual" was arrested, put on probation, and released into the custody of his parents. Imagine, the one who is sexually abused is declared a criminal, (however petty). As if HE were responsible for the actions of the abuser. As if it were HIS fault that he got "abused." Thank goodness in our modern and enlightened society such a thing can never happen. (Tongue firmly in cheek.)

On 5/12/2023 at 6:30 PM, FreshFluff said:

I think it's the opposite. Even putting the moral element aside, few normal gay men wanted to deal with minors. Teenagers were more likely to turn violent. And the parents could easily find out. 

There's a book published in 1970 called Tearoom Trade that covers this extensively. Most gay men stayed away from "chicken."  The few men who were into kids were deeply closeted, even for the time, and in denial. 

In high school, a classmate used to go gay-bashing at a cruising spot.  He ended up killing a guy and went to reform school.

On 5/12/2023 at 11:06 PM, Becket said:

The part that stuck with me was toward the end, when the kid who was being groomed by the "evil homosexual" was arrested, put on probation, and released into the custody of his parents. Imagine, the one who is sexually abused is declared a criminal, (however petty). As if HE were responsible for the actions of the abuser. As if it were HIS fault that he got "abused." Thank goodness in our modern and enlightened society such a thing can never happen. (Tongue firmly in cheek.)

You must have missed the part where Ralph went to jail.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:00 PM, pubic_assistance said:

That is inaccurate.  The incidence of homosexual pedophiles is about the same as it is for heterosexual pedophiles.

2 hours ago, Rudynate said:

That is inaccurate.  The incidence of homosexual pedophiles is about the same as it is for heterosexual pedophiles.

Correct.

How does that make MY comment "incorrect"? I never said anything about gays having a significantly higher inclination toward inappropriate relationships with underage youths.

Your comment strongly implies that pedophilia in gay men is somehow related to the fact that they are gay.  But the incidence of pedophilia being approximately equal in gay and straight populations indicates otherwise.  It stands to reason that a pedophile's behavior would be aligned with his/her sexual orientation.  

I think gay men and straight men have different agendas when it comes to pedophilia. 

Gay men (such as closeted Catholic priests) have access issues and turn to young horny boys who are just happy to get off.

Straight men prey on little girls with shitty parents who don't provide a loving environment at home.

I don't doubt the age issue is more easily swept under the carpet than the mix of homosexuality and pedophilia.

I had a great-uncle who fooled around with a few of my male cousins. One day he offered to take me for a ride in his new convertible. I jumped in and my mother came storming out of the house screaming: "get OUT of that car NOW". When I look back; it was interesting that they all KNEW about him but hadn't ostracized him completely. Just kept an eye on his behavior. Uncle Jimmy was a product of the 1950s puritanical environment that forced people like him into the closet..and his needs were met in places he shouldn't have been looking .

Edited by pubic_assistance
Punctuation

I always suspected that the reason there are so man pedophiliac Catholic priests came from the Catholic Church's insistence that priests stay celibate. I would think that a career in which you couldn't be involved in a normal, intimate relationship would be a good cover for someone with pedophilia. No one would question why a priest wasn't married or involved in a romantic relationship. I'm certainly no Biblical expert, but I don't think there's anything in the Bible which says priests can't get married. Don't Orthodox priests get married? My beau's father is a pastor. I suspect that these priesthood rules came up, in fact, to protect those who don't want to get married. Otherwise, I would think it'd be a severe disincentive to join the priesthood in the Catholic Church. 

9 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I would think it'd be a severe disincentive to join the priesthood in the Catholic Church. 

My understanding is that most families who identified homosexuality in their sons pushed them to join the priesthood as a way to sweep the issue under the carpet when they didn't marry and make grandchildren.

But even there "relationships" are frowned upon so "mentoring" young boys ends up being a dirty secret place to get off. It's all very dysfunctional yet theres been no movement in the Vatican to call for change this weird custom.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:00 PM, pubic_assistance said:

no.... more straight men were/are child molesters and a tiny fraction of gay men were/are. 

Please don't promote negative and false stereotypes about us! 

The only thing you said that's accurate is that girls back then didn't put out as much as they do now. 

12 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I always suspected that the reason there are so man pedophiliac Catholic priests came from the Catholic Church's insistence that priests stay celibate. I would think that a career in which you couldn't be involved in a normal, intimate relationship would be a good cover for someone with pedophilia. No one would question why a priest wasn't married or involved in a romantic relationship. I'm certainly no Biblical expert, but I don't think there's anything in the Bible which says priests can't get married. Don't Orthodox priests get married? My beau's father is a pastor. I suspect that these priesthood rules came up, in fact, to protect those who don't want to get married. Otherwise, I would think it'd be a severe disincentive to join the priesthood in the Catholic Church. 

There's always a connection between taboo, shame, cover up, issues, projection of wrongful behavior on others, etc. 

josh-duggar-booked-into-jail-1639078967.
WWW.4029TV.COM

Attorneys made their arguments on how long the former reality TV star should spend in prison.

9 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

no.... more straight men were/are child molesters and a tiny fraction of gay men were/are. 

Please don't promote negative and false stereotypes about us! 

Again: I said NOTHING about comparative evidence to say that gays molest children more. Not did I "promote" a stereotype.

I added information about WHERE the stereotype comes from. That's all.

When discussing a subject of stereotypes, the analysis of origin may not be pretty. But yes...to be clear: this inappropriate behavior is separate from hetero or homo sexual identity. As a matter of fact, it's not unusual for heterosexual men to abuse boys. Making the predatory behavior something other than sexual attraction. 

The 1950s were a period of great social change after WWII where people were returning to a more puritanical behavioral model as a way to bind communities and shed "bad" players who didn't fit in. The evils of Nazism were viewed as a social virus that infected the German community. So anyone who was deemed an outsider was viewed as a potential threat. Especially considering most Americans in the 1950s were of German descent.

Homosexuals were gaining visibility in the 1920s but had to go back into the closet by the 1950s. Any risk to the community (such as child molesting) was exaggerated as being part of homosexual behavior as a way to marginalize them. That's why the behavior became more associated with gays even though it's not necessarily any more common in gays than straights.

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

Again: I said NOTHING about comparative evidence to say that gays molest children more. Not did I "promote" a stereotype.

I added information about WHERE the stereotype comes from. That's all.

When discussing a subject of stereotypes, the analysis of origin may not be pretty. But yes...to be clear: this inappropriate behavior is separate from hetero or homo sexual identity. As a matter of fact, it's not unusual for heterosexual men to abuse boys. Making the predatory behavior something other than sexual attraction. 

The 1950s were a period of great social change after WWII where people were returning to a more puritanical behavioral model as a way to bind communities and shed "bad" players who didn't fit in. The evils of Nazism were viewed as a social virus that infected the German community. So anyone who was deemed an outsider was viewed as a potential threat. Especially considering most Americans in the 1950s were of German descent.

Homosexuals were gaining visibility in the 1920s but had to go back into the closet by the 1950s. Any risk to the community (such as child molesting) was exaggerated as being part of homosexual behavior as a way to marginalize them. That's why the behavior became more associated with gays even though it's not necessarily any more common in gays than straights.

Somehow you don't mention bisexual men and whether they chased teenage men because of women back then weren't putting out to them as much as they do now. 

Why do you talk about gay (homosexual) men as others while most folks would include bisexual men in the same bundle and equally discriminate against all of us? 

That video was and is certainly unjustifiable and factually wrong? Gay and bi men are by far less likely to go after underage men and also less likely to rape men compared to straight men. 

Edited by marylander1940

16 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I'm lost.  What does any of this have to do with Men's Health?

The op @Becket wanted to show millennials like you life wasn't always as easy for gayand bi men, because behaviors and a lifestyle you take for granted were illegal and considered mental sickness.

Edited by marylander1940

38 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

I don't think law enforcement agents could tell the difference. Nowadays haters can't separate us either. 

When I was in High School and College my gay friends thought I was just kool and open-minded because I would hang out with them.  So, even the gays couldn't see my same sex attraction. So not so sure that's true. I think bisexuals have always had a better cover.

1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

The op @Becket wanted to show millennials like you life wasn't always as easy for gayand bi men, because behaviors and a lifestyle you take for granted were illegal and considered mental sickness.

I've seen the video many times before.  I still don't see how it relates to Men's Health (the topic of the forum).  Am I supposed to get diet or exercise tips from it, or mentions of medications to ask my doctor about?

It probably belongs in the old Politics forum, or maybe movies.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

2 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I've seen the video many times before.  I still don't see how it relates to Men's Health (the topic of the forum).  Am I supposed to get diet or exercise tips from it, or mentions of medications to ask my doctor about?

It probably belongs in the old Politics forum, or maybe movies.

You can report it if you think it's out of place or inappropriate. You can also ignore it if you don't think it's worth reading