President Carter under hospice care at home

CuriousByNature

Sad to hear today that the former president, who would be turning 99 this year, is now receiving comfort care.  According to reports he has decided to forego any further medical treatments other than those aimed at providing comfort, so that he can spend his final days at home with his family - including his wife of more than 76 years, Rosalyn, who herself is set to turn 96 later this year.  May he have comfort and peace over the days to come.

Edited by CuriousByNature

• CuriousByNature changed the title to President Carter under hospice care at home
32 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

Sad to hear today that the former president, who would be turning 99 this year, is now receiving comfort care.  According to reports he has decided to forego any further medical treatments other than those aimed at providing comfort, so that he can spend his final days at home with his family - including his wife of more than 76 years, Rosalyn, who herself is set to turn 96 later this year.  May he have comfort and peace over the days to come.

Count me as an admirer.  I wish the Carter family peace at this difficult time 

At his advanced age and given the illnesses he has survived in the lsst decade or so, there is a sense of inevitability about President Carter's imminent passing. He's had a great run and outlived many of his political opponents.

He has seen his reputation rise since his failed presidency through his many accomplishments out of office. One accomplishment in office is his Camp David Accords, for which he was awarded the Nobel Peace prize. The pact still stands.

7 minutes ago, dudecali808 said:

That's why I say, live a healthy life everyone. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it improves people's odds

And he was able to remain quite active, physically and intellectually, well into his 90s.  I love the fact that he and his wife have been married more than 76 years - it's going to be a massive adjustment for her when he passes, I'm sure.

He managed to achieve a memorable second act after leaving Office. I think that, more than his presidency, will be his legacy. 

As others noted, given his age and his illness, this cannot be a shock to anyone. I agree it will be tough for Roslyn after. Given her own age, and their over seven decades together, I’d say that like the Bushes, and the Windsors, it won’t be long until they’re together again. 

Edited by BtmBearDad

2 hours ago, Unicorn said:

A bit harsh. Most polls find him to have had an average presidency. 

Pity the politics forum is closed.

I would really love to say more in his defense.

I will just say that as person who was always  a true believer in his Christian faith, his choices throughout life were always guided by his commitment to community and integrity.

4 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Pity the politics forum is closed.

I would really love to say more in his defense.

I will just say that as person who was always  a true believer in his Christian faith, his choices throughout life were always guided by his commitment to community and integrity.

I agree. And we can't get into a political discussion here so I won't elaborate on my comments. 

I will say he was the kind of politician with whom I would have loved to sit down and have a talk.

3 hours ago, BtmBearDad said:

I grew up close to the Carters in Georgia (Columbus) where my dad was a little involved with politics considerably to the left of Mr Carter but when I got to law school his son Jack and I were seat mates for two years. Jack was back from Vietnam and married. When Mr Carter was elected president I also got my job in DC and Jack arranged for my stuff to be moved to DC with the Carters. It took me two months to get security clearance and permission to pick up my stuff in Virginia. But it's the thought that counts and while Mr Carter and the family were reserved, they were normal people from Miss Lilly to brother Billy. And Amy went to a downtown public school in DC. You won't see that again.  And he was unique as a president who was for peace. After being tossed out of office in a landslide the Carters became very much the image of people helping the less fortunate as a lifestyle in retirement and working for peace. His truly American story, from farm boy to nuclear scientist to president will be hard to ever equal. He will be missed. 

Edited by tassojunior

Of all the recent US Presidents, I'd consider my life well lived if I can accomplish even a quarter of what Carter managed to do after the Presidency.  

The man responded to TWO nuclear accidents in his life time.  First in the US Navy as a favor to the Canadians, and then 3 Mile Island. The US Secret Service probably HAD to defer to him on the radiological risks.  

My thoughts are with President Carter and his family as they navigate this transition. He's a good man without question.