Do you think current controversies with the transgender movement are making being gay more socially acceptable?

caramelsub

59 minutes ago, KensingtonHomo said:

JFC, this reads like a Tucker Carlson monologue. MINORS do not get gender confirmation surgeries. This is just bullshit. Perhaps some 16 or 17 year old with parental consent are getting top surgery or orchiectomies but that's it. And those are very likely kids who have been through extensive therapy and are very clear on their gender identity. 

I knew I was gay when I was 4 or 5; many trans people report the same. 

I don’t think I knew what the word gay was when I was 4 or 5. I do remember playing with female action figure toys and dolls in secret though. Heck I even remember wanting the girls toys from the McDonalds Happy meals over the boys toys. But eventually I outgrew that stage and just ended up gay, instead of trans.😛  I think a lot of gay men played with girlie toys/dolls when they were little. Not that there is anything wrong with being trans.  But kids can change as they reach puberty and beyond.

7 hours ago, augustus said:

Au contraire.  The World Professional Association for Transgender Health has issued new "guidelines" advising that surgery is now ok at 15.  What a nightmare.

I read the guidelines. They don't mention the age of fifteen anywhere. Rather, they mention that the patient should be "age of majority in their country" or have parental consent. That is the standard for surgery of any kind. Stop believing and perpetuating anti-trans propaganda. 

WWW.WPATH.ORG

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), is a 501(c)(3) non-profit...

7 hours ago, caramelsub said:

I don’t think I knew what the word gay was when I was 4 or 5. I do remember playing with female action figure toys and dolls in secret though. Heck I even remember wanting the girls toys from the McDonalds Happy meals over the boys toys. But eventually I outgrew that stage and just ended up gay, instead of trans.😛  I think a lot of gay men played with girlie toys/dolls when they were little. Not that there is anything wrong with being trans.  But kids can change as they reach puberty and beyond.

This is true. And those people - like you and I - aren't trans. I grew up with a trans woman. And by the time we were teenagers she had a desire to live as a woman and I was gay. And she came from a relatively conservative family, whereas I had a very liberal mother. She has since transitioned in her early 20s and I did not. 

10 hours ago, augustus said:

So.....80% of the country is fascists, homophobes and white supremacists.

no - they’re either not well-educated, don’t know any trans people, easily manipulated by disinformation and/or not secure in their own sexual/gender identity.  Might be any combination. 

Those who are secure in their own sexual/gender identities are not threatened by people who claim a sexual gender/sexual identity they don’t understand.  Lots of people fear the unknown or things they don’t understand because it threatens their world view which must attach labels for processing in a way they can comprehend.

I get it: Americans are stupid - most don’t know their own state capital, never-mind complex issues surrounding sex/gender and its recent evolution. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

4 minutes ago, nycman said:

Childish comments like this aren’t going to win anyone over to your side.

I could have chosen better words

The American people are better described as ignorant, or as a culture have uniquely embraced anti-intellectualism and rejected science.  In the US, ironically, this is typically led by elites in an effort to control the increasingly uneducated public.  There is a big segment of the population that celebrates their ignorance - proud of it.

Now translate that proud ignorance to solving the country’s social ills.  Most of which  have common sense solutions - but due to convoluted US mythology & American Exceptionalism, the common sense solutions don’t apply.  The US does not take lessons proven to work elsewhere & implement.  And things that are inherently non-political almost everywhere else have become politicized in the US because the population is so easily manipulated (ignorant) & there’s money to be made on the collective outrage, or the political division.  Social & minority issues, such as gender & sexual identity are weaponized for political & monetary gain. Thus, the hard complex & important problems never really get sorted out.

Stupidity would be more reflected by deficient IQ scores and that isn’t the problem.  
I stand corrected.  It’s more a lack of critical thinking skills and the inability to connect the dots for whatever reason - but it’s cultural & widespread. 

As the US falls behind in every objective measurement re: Quality of Life index compared to other rich developed countries  - almost all Americans believe that America has the best of everything.  What does that tell you ?  

when there is widespread cultural denial re; the basic state of the country & a rejection of things science/fact based, how could Americans broadly ever begin to intellectually deal with complex gender & sexual identity issues that may require some actual thought ?   Answer - they can’t & it’s not surprising 

It’s a slippery slope once ignorance is embraced as a core value

14 minutes ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

there is widespread cultural denial re; the basic state of the country & a rejection of things science/fact based, how could Americans broadly ever begin to intellectually deal with complex gender & sexual identity issues that may require some actual thought ?   Answer - they can’t & it’s not surprising 

This is true.

However half the time it's the people who THINK they're intelligent who have no common sense and the "dumb"  (under-educated) who see through the bullshit faster. So although I agree there is a growing anti-intellectualism in this country, I think that's a reaction to the stupidity spit out frequently by naive pseudo-intellectual-social-science theorists, who think they can change the nature of humans overnight.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

It is silly and inappropriate to call a group of people who ones never met, who disagree with ones point of view stupid or unintellectual. I for one hold a graduate degree. Not saying that makes me smarter than anyone. But I will not stand for education shaming, and will not be education shamed.

Edited by caramelsub

On 11/24/2022 at 10:08 AM, José Soplanucas said:

Being gay was already more socially accepted when the trans controversy raised. Your are mistaking causality and correlation.  

Going back to the topic, I bring back this post because I want to expand on that idea. 

One of the best side effects of the debate around trans is that it makes ALL dissident sexualities and identities more acceptable. It highlights up to what point Culture is a human historical construction, and at the same time, shapes human nature. It fosters mutual respect and celebrates diversity. 

48 minutes ago, caramelsub said:

It is silly and inappropriate to call a group of people who ones never met, who disagree with ones point of view stupid or unintellectual. I for one hold a graduate degree. Not saying that makes me smarter than anyone. But I will not stand for education shaming, and will not be education shamed.

Some of the most "intellectual" people I've met are the most clueless when it comes to social issues. You can be under-educated and worldly, and you can be highly educated and reclusive.  Not everything is learned in a book.

2 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

It fosters mutual respect and celebrates diversity. 

Maybe in your social circles, but I hear a LOT of disgust with the media push for transgender visibility in a variety of social circles that aren't gay-centric. Even some of my gay friends say it's too much/ too fast/ too far.

9 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Maybe in your social circles, but I hear a LOT of disgust with the media push for transgender visibility in a variety of social circles that aren't gay-centric. Even some of my gay friends say it's too much/ too fast/ too far.

I guess you are subscribing to your friends' views. I've heard Conservative (culturally Conservative, this is not Politics) people (their sexuality is irrelevant) saying the same. It is a cowardly argument. Instead of standing up for their anti-trans beliefs, they fake empathy with the progressive cause and ask for slowing down the speed of change.

From my point of view, doing the right thing is essential whether or not it is popular. And that starts by being honest about what you think is right and wrong. 

Edited by José Soplanucas

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

Even some of my gay friends say it's too much/ too fast/ too far.

just like the Cubans in Miami who vehemently oppose other immigrants 

in other words, I’ve got mine, now you can fuck off

the mental gymnastics required to get there must be interesting - no core values or principles, just situational self-interest 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

On 6/5/2023 at 9:59 PM, caramelsub said:

There's a huge difference between being gay and trans. I liked to play with my sister's Ken doll as a young-un, but I definitely never wanted tits. Interestingly, some trans are also gay or Lesbian. I've hired gay trans men who've definitely orgasmed from my fucking them, and, of course, there's the famously Lesbian Caitlyn Jenner. 

Free Moving Ken | Vintage barbie dolls, Barbie dolls, Beautiful barbie dolls

Edited by Unicorn