Do you think current controversies with the transgender movement are making being gay more socially acceptable?

caramelsub

41 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

Let's stick to the facts. When you say "some states", do you mean "only one state"?

I mean about a dozen states.  Washington is the only one that I know of that passed based on a Google search today.  California's AB665 hasn't passed yet, but is similar to Washington's based on what I read on the California legislature's most recent version of the bill.  I have not kept track of the status of other bills in other states related to this issue.  Before I read Washington's law and California's bill today, my understanding was about a dozen states were proposing changes to allow minors to elect gender reassignment without parental consent.  I now know from reading these two bills (one of passed, one proposed) is for children estranged and/or physically abused by their parents.  I am not aware of the conditions of language proposed in the other states' bills.  But I now know with confidence the language these two states have approved and proposed, because I read them.

55 minutes ago, KensingtonHomo said:

This is the medical equivalent of claiming trans women are destroying women's sports without mentioning how often cis women beat trans women at nearly every high school and college sport (it's the majority of the time). 

Women's sports was already destroyed before transexuals participated.  It's boring!

On 11/23/2022 at 9:53 PM, caramelsub said:

I feel like it is. When I was growing up as a 90s/early 2000s kid I felt like people thought being gay was the most taboo thing in the world. Kids especially boys, in middle and high school would call each other gay as an insult. I don’t know if kids these days still do that. And now we have the transgender movement, which has overshadowed the gay rights movement and has become the new taboo topic of recent years. I think the fight for transgender rights is in turn, making being gay more socially acceptable. I hear many people who are anti-trans state things like they “should just be gay”, or “they can be gay.” I don’t think being gay would ever be as socially acceptable as being straight, but I think we are moving in the right direction

@caramelsub

I think your question has been answered, "the gays" now are more accepted and some even like to punch down on transgender rights to be more accepted!

I guess just like bisexuals like to point they are not gays to feel more accepted.

1 hour ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

... Before I read Washington's law and California's bill today, my understanding was about a dozen states were proposing changes to allow minors to elect gender reassignment without parental consent.  I now know from reading these two bills (one of passed, one proposed) is for children estranged and/or physically abused by their parents...

Another one hearing voices in his head (no references, of course, since Fox News is hardly a reliable reference). And, obviously, parents who kick their children out for being trans or gay are incapable of being fit parents. 

18: Voices in the Head – Minding the Brain

1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

I guess just like bisexuals like to point they are not gays to feel more accepted.

Bisexuals ARE more accepted.

Usually because we blend into mainstream society better.

I know very few bisexual men or women who you can tell  their sexuality from casually meeting them. ( Not saying I know everyone or my sample group represents everyone ). Just saying that if I DO take a sample group from my life. The bisexual men and women I've known over the last 30 years, don't struggle the same sort of bigotry as a man in a dress because our issues dwell in our private lives and arent typically public knowledge.

(Yes I know there there are some butch gays and feminine lesbians) 

10 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Bisexuals ARE more accepted.

Usually because we blend into mainstream society better.

I know very few bisexual men or women who you can tell  their sexuality from casually meeting them. ( Not saying I know everyone or my sample group represents everyone ). Just saying that if I DO take a sample group from my life. The bisexual men and women I've known over the last 30 years, don't struggle the same sort of bigotry as a man in a dress because our issues dwell in our private lives and arent typically public knowledge.

(Yes I know there there are some butch gays and feminine lesbians) 

For mainstream America once you dip your toes in lake gay there's no way back to straight specially if you do it regularly.

I don't think committing the crime of sodomy once a month and getting caught made a difference to law enforcement if the offender had a wife and children.

Why the need to point being bisexual as more masculine? Private lives? 

Back to subject:

A man in a dress?

Being transgender is way more than that...

2 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I mean about a dozen states.  Washington is the only one that I know of that passed based on a Google search today.  California's AB665 hasn't passed yet, but is similar to Washington's based on what I read on the California legislature's most recent version of the bill.  I have not kept track of the status of other bills in other states related to this issue.  Before I read Washington's law and California's bill today, my understanding was about a dozen states were proposing changes to allow minors to elect gender reassignment without parental consent.  I now know from reading these two bills (one of passed, one proposed) is for children estranged and/or physically abused by their parents.  I am not aware of the conditions of language proposed in the other states' bills.  But I now know with confidence the language these two states have approved and proposed, because I read them.

Oops, I think now you forgot to say "when parents are estranged."

1 minute ago, José Soplanucas said:
2 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Oops, I think now you forgot to say "when parents are estranged."

Nope, it's there.  I added bold for emphasis 

7 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

I don't think committing the crime of sodomy once a month and getting caught made a difference to law enforcement if the offender had a wife and children.

Correct.

But as much as the gays want to deny the existence of bisexuals we are here and lead different lives..and enjoy a greater degree of anonymity so our "battles" are different. 

A dude in a dress has a whole lotta people who ain't gonna be kind to him.

There's no private life to live.

Edited by pubic_assistance

6 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

Do you men "THE bisexuals?"

Let's call them THE gays who every now and then have sex with a woman. 

Although I doubt the law made a difference once a guy gets caught with THE gays.

Truckers hookup scene of "There's something about Mary". I'm sure most of those gentlemen had wives and children, the gays just showed up and they're clearly identifiable just by looking at them. 

SomeWiltedBorzoi-max-1mb.gif

6 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Correct.

But as much as the gays want to deny the existence of bisexuals we are here and lead different lives..and enjoy a greater degree of anonymity so our "battles" are different. 

A dude in a dress has a whole lotta people who ain't gonna be kind to him.

There's no private life to live.

unless he's passable like the bisexuals and a minority of the gays. 

He certainly had the cojones or bolas / huevos like @José Soplanucas would say to undergo treatments, bureaucracy, surgeries, folks being judgmental, etc. 

25 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

unless he's passable like the bisexuals and a minority of the gays. 

Obviously.

That's my point.

Some people suffer less because their issue is private. A friend once pointed out to me that I could hide my homosexual tendencies but he couldn't hide his black skin. So to compare gay rights to black rights was ( in his opinion ) like comparing Venus to Jupiter 

Same goes for trans people.

It's an uphill battle that is separate from the gay rights movement.

Edited by pubic_assistance
Grammar

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

It's an uphill battle that is separate from the gay rights movement.

It’s not separate for reasons stated above. And when gender and sexuality get policed; people of all genders and orientations are harmed bc people think they “can tell.”

Cis women are being harassed and assaulted in bathrooms bc people think they’re trans. 

8 hours ago, KensingtonHomo said:

There is no state in this country where a minor can get gender-affirming surgery without parental consent. That's a lie being spread by the anti-trans movement, which is in league with fascists, homophobes and white supremacists. So let's try to do better than perpetuate their propaganda. 

A minor should not get "gender-affirming surgery" with or without parental consent.  This is an absolute nightmare.  They can decide at 18, period.  How idiotic.  Let them be kids and decide when they're 18!

This is absolutely despicable, it's literally child abuse.  Why would anyone argue that it’s okay to launch a minor right into menopause (what happens with a full hysterectomy) over dysphoria?  Even hormones and puberty blockers have serious side effects and can cause damage in so many ways.  Someone not old enough to choose their bedtime, but they can choose their gender?

1 hour ago, augustus said:

A minor should not get "gender-affirming surgery" with or without parental consent.  This is an absolute nightmare.  They can decide at 18, period.  How idiotic.  Let them be kids and decide when they're 18!

You're transphobic, we get it. Maybe it makes you feel less secure in your own gender. Regardless, it's no more your business than if a teenager gets a nose job. 

1 hour ago, augustus said:

This is absolutely despicable, it's literally child abuse.  Why would anyone argue that it’s okay to launch a minor right into menopause (what happens with a full hysterectomy) over dysphoria?  Even hormones and puberty blockers have serious side effects and can cause damage in so many ways.  Someone not old enough to choose their bedtime, but they can choose their gender?

JFC, this reads like a Tucker Carlson monologue. MINORS do not get gender confirmation surgeries. This is just bullshit. Perhaps some 16 or 17 year old with parental consent are getting top surgery or orchiectomies but that's it. And those are very likely kids who have been through extensive therapy and are very clear on their gender identity. 

I knew I was gay when I was 4 or 5; many trans people report the same. 

51 minutes ago, KensingtonHomo said:

MINORS do not get gender confirmation surgeries. This is just bullshit. Perhaps some 16 or 17 year old with parental consent are getting top surgery or orchiectomies but that's it.

Au contraire.  The World Professional Association for Transgender Health has issued new "guidelines" advising that surgery is now ok at 15.  What a nightmare.