Anne Heche hospitalized with severe burns

samhexum

This is splitting hairs but her body is still physically alive.  Yes she has been pronounced "brain dead" and declared legally dead...but she has not physically died yet.  I have not read anywhere that she has been taken off life support.  Reports in the press have been confusing to say the least.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/actor-anne-heche-dead_n_62f1be02e4b0f9d8c01fa9c4

3 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

This is splitting hairs but her body is still physically alive.  Yes she has been pronounced "brain dead" and declared legally dead...but she has not physically died yet.  I have not read anywhere that she has been taken off life support.  Reports in the press have been confusing to say the least.

A person who is brain-dead is dead. Period. No court in the land or even religious leaders dispute that. The organs can be kept functioning so that organ recipients can be found. At least some good can come out of this tragedy. 

5 hours ago, Unicorn said:

A person who is brain-dead is dead. Period. No court in the land or even religious leaders dispute that. The organs can be kept functioning so that organ recipients can be found. At least some good can come out of this tragedy. 

No-one is disputing that she is brain dead and legally dead.  That is not the issue.  A poster indicated she had been taken off life-support which, as of Friday night was not the case (as far as I could tell).  There won't be a funeral until Anne is fully removed from life support.  I really don't know if anything new has happened since Friday night.  I do fully support keeping her body going so they can get as many useful organs as possible.

5 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Sadly this isn't true.  Do you remember the case of Jahi McMath?  She was declared brain dead at Children's Hospital in Oakland, California in late 2013 but her family sued to keep her on life support, and eventually won a court ruling to have her propped-up corpse transferred to another facility in another state.  The family propped her up her corpse on "life support" for over four years, eventually having to acknowledge that she was dead when other organs began to fail. 

It was never clear to me whether this was just a family who couldn't accept the death or if they were attempting to get a monetary reward because the young teen was worth more in damages if she was still considered alive versus dead.

6 hours ago, maninsoma said:

Sadly this isn't true.  Do you remember the case of Jahi McMath?  She was declared brain dead at Children's Hospital in Oakland, California in late 2013 but her family sued to keep her on life support, and eventually won a court ruling to have her propped-up corpse transferred to another facility in another state.  The family propped her up her corpse on "life support" for over four years, eventually having to acknowledge that she was dead when other organs began to fail. 

It was never clear to me whether this was just a family who couldn't accept the death or if they were attempting to get a monetary reward because the young teen was worth more in damages if she was still considered alive versus dead.

Sadly, it was true. No court in the land believed she was "alive." A corpse is not "alive," although many organs were still functioning. The only question was whether to donate the organs and give life to other children, or to be assholes about it. Sadly again, the family chose the latter path. Every religion on the planet, even, surprisingly, Jehovah's Witnesses, also recognize this and allow organ donations. Whether there was a financial incentive or whether the family couldn't accept the reality of the situation I don't know. Certainly, there are a number of posters on this forum who don't seem to accept reality even when the facts are put right in front of them... 🙄

18 hours ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Agree - it is splitting hairs.  It seems pointless to draw the distinction - a "distinction without a difference."

Anne Heche to be removed from life support today according to a statement from the family.

A week after the crash, Heche was "brain dead" but remained on life support, according to a statement from her family and friends shared with CNN by their representative.
Heche has matched with an organ recipient and will be taken off life support on Sunday, a representative for her family told CNN.

6 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

My oldest son had a massive stroke a few years ago and was declared brain dead.

So I can tell you from personal experience brain dead doesn't = "dead". We had the choice to continue life support so clearly they wouldn't offer if he had been declared "dead".

Yes, corpses are kept on life support for a number of reasons, the main two are for organ donation and sometimes to assist the family with goodbyes. Although the term "life support" is used, the life being supported is the life of the organs (and consequently the lives of the people those organs will help), not the decedent's life. 

7 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

So I can tell you from personal experience brain dead doesn't = "dead". We had the choice to continue life support so clearly they wouldn't offer if he had been declared "dead".

I'm sorry for your loss. It must be tough having that happen to your eldest son.

8 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Brain inactivity from stroke probably different from brain inactivity from massive trauma to the entire body, inside and out.

You ultimately made the correct choice for your son and family.

Birth and death are maybe better with a little mystery in the moment to be pondered later by those who anticipate and/or mourn. RIP Annie. 

6 hours ago, Luv2play said:

must be tough having that happen to your eldest son.

They always say the loss of a child is beyond difficult. But until you live through it, you can't imagine the level of emotional pain you have to go through. It's next level sadness that lasts for months and creeps back in from time to time for the rest of your life .

None the less ...I didn't get stuck in fantasy and we did keep life support going just long enough to preserve vital organs for donation to help others.

On a personal level - I do agree ..once declared braindead there was no one left inside the body that continued it's beating heart .

Interesting article on yahoo regarding the confusion surrounding the announcement of Anne Heche's death.  She was legally dead yet technically alive for two days after being declared brain dead on Friday.  Some outlets reported her death on Friday whilst her body was still being kept functioning via life support. Other media outlets (including the NYT) didn't report her death until Sunday after life support was removed and the body quit functioning.  

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-media-declared-anne-heche-151856771.html

• 2 months later...

Anne Heche’s estate is being sued by the woman whose house burst into flames in the actress’ fatal car crash. What took so long?

According to the lawsuit obtained Monday by Page Six, Lynne Mishele claims she and her pets almost lost their lives when Heche’s Mini Cooper plowed into her Los Angeles home on Aug. 5.

Mishele claims Heche’s vehicle “barreled through the front of her house and deep into its interior” before coming “to a halt just feet away” from her, her two dogs named Bree and Rueben, and her tortoise named Marley. A tortoise named Marley?  That's gnarly!

4 hours ago, samhexum said:

Anne Heche’s estate is being sued by the woman whose house burst into flames in the actress’ fatal car crash. What took so long?

According to the lawsuit obtained Monday by Page Six, Lynne Mishele claims she and her pets almost lost their lives when Heche’s Mini Cooper plowed into her Los Angeles home on Aug. 5.

Mishele claims Heche’s vehicle “barreled through the front of her house and deep into its interior” before coming “to a halt just feet away” from her, her two dogs named Bree and Rueben, and her tortoise named Marley. A tortoise named Marley?  That's gnarly!

Respectfully, someone was killed

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Link

Follow up, the LA County coroner has ruled her death accidental. Traces of cocaine found, but not enough to impair her driving. She died from injuries received from the accident and ensuing fire.

Unfortunately, there’s no blood test for psychotic self centered bitch.

51 minutes ago, nycman said:

Unfortunately, there’s no blood test for psychotic self centered bitch.

Hopefully her insurance will cover the costs to the homeowner and the damages for injury, since it was ruled an accident.  That way her children hopefully not have to be burdened with the court proceedings and the loss of their own financial stability and inheritance.  They have lost more than anyone already.

12 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

Hopefully her insurance will cover the costs to the homeowner and the damages for injury, since it was ruled an accident.  That way her children hopefully not have to be burdened with the court proceedings and the loss of their own financial stability and inheritance.  They have lost more than anyone already.

Yes, my heart goes out to her  children.

Thanks for your wonderful post.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:48 PM, CuriousByNature said:

I suppose if the homeowner's and Heche's insurance is insufficient to cover costs, then it is understandable to sue the estate. But it would be a second tragedy for the kids if they end up without any financial stability.

The award often doesn't exceed the homeowner's liability and auto liability amounts, unless the accident was caused by malice or criminal behavior.  Everyone should have at least 500k liability on the home insurance and 300k on the auto insurance.  In this case, a lawsuit has to be filed since she died.

Edited by augustus

30 minutes ago, augustus said:

The award often doesn't exceed the homeowner's liability and auto liability amounts, unless the accident was caused by malice or criminal behavior.  Everyone should have at least 500k liability on the home insurance and 300k on the auto insurance.  In this case, a lawsuit has to be filed since she died.

Right, that makes sense. Here in Canada many people pay a bit more to have at least $1M for auto, and quite a few people I know have $3M.  When I lived in BC a couple of my friends had $5M, but I haven't seen that in Ontario. I'm not sure if BC residents are more litigious or not.