Anne Heche hospitalized with severe burns

samhexum

Anne Heche was reportedly involved in a fiery car crash on Friday morning in Los Angeles and is in critical condition. The 53-year-old actress was taken away on a stretcher in photos captured by TMZ and hospitalized for severe burns. She's intubated but expected to live, according to the outlet.

A witness told the local news station they believe the driver of the car was going around 60 mph and blew through a stop sign in the quiet neighborhood before the crash. The vehicle, a blue Mini Cooper, went through some bushes and into a house, which also caught on fire. The homeowner was inside at the time of the incident, but is OK.

TMZ, which broke the news on Friday afternoon, posted a photo of Heche behind the wheel. There is a bottle near her in a cup holder with a red cap.

Witnesses told the outlet that Heche first crashed into the garage of an apartment complex in Mar Vista. Residents tried getting the actress out of the car and that appears to be when the photo was taken. She apparently put the car in reverse and then sped off, crashing into a nearby home shortly after.

Quite a week for fiery crashes in L.A., huh?

I have had the national news on TV all day while doing stuff and they have been showing security cam footage of the Mercedes running through the red light and catching on fire. There has been no mention that the driver was Anne Heche. How sad.

Added: I just pulled up TMZ and what they were showing on TV was a different LA car accident where a woman driving at an excessive speed was burned when her car ignited. Windsor Hills crash: Mercedes-Benz runs through red light before getting into deadly wreck - Bing video

Edited by CJK

3 minutes ago, CJK said:

I have had the national news on TV all day while doing stuff and they have been showing security cam footage of the Mercedes running through the red light and catching on fire. There has been no mention that the driver was Anne Heche. How sad.

You're conflating 2 different fiery crashes (hence my comment at the end). The Mercedes driver was arrested and will no doubt face vehicular manslaughter charges.

Heche (who was driving a Mini Cooper) will have plastic surgery for her burns, probably go to rehab, and then some 35 year old will play her in a TV movie about her courageous recovery.

16 minutes ago, samhexum said:

You're conflating 2 different fiery crashes (hence my comment at the end). The Mercedes driver was arrested and will no doubt face vehicular manslaughter charges.

Heche (who was driving a Mini Cooper) will have plastic surgery for her burns, probably go to rehab, and then some 35 year old will play her in a TV movie about her courageous recovery.

While you were typing your response I had updated my post having looked at TMZ and seeing it was two different crashed. I had not realized that's what you meant in the last line of your original post. 

23 hours ago, nycman said:

From the TMZ article:

"We're told her condition prevents doctors from performing any tests to determine if she was driving under the influence of alcohol."

That’s one of the stupidest sentences I’ve ever read. 

13 hours ago, FreshFluff said:

It’s good to be a VIP in LA. 

Yes, it sure seems like the well-connected can side-step responsibility when they behave recklessly to endanger others. Tiger Woods? At least this isn't one of those cases in which the alcohol and/or drug-impaired walks away from the accident leaving tragedy in his wake. What really bothers me is that there don't seem to be any serious consequences from those who refused to do drug and alcohol testing on AH or TW. In my opinion, those responsible for those decisions should go to jail. It makes a complete mockery of DUI laws. At least AH (or her estate, should it come to that) should have the funds to compensate her victims (including, I hope, punitive damages). Maybe the victims can also sue the doctors for dereliction of duty and spoliation of evidence.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:35 PM, samhexum said:

Anne Heche was reportedly involved in a fiery car crash on Friday morning in Los Angeles and is in critical condition. The 53-year-old actress was taken away on a stretcher in photos captured by TMZ and hospitalized for severe burns. She's intubated but expected to live, according to the outlet.

A witness told the local news station they believe the driver of the car was going around 60 mph and blew through a stop sign in the quiet neighborhood before the crash. The vehicle, a blue Mini Cooper, went through some bushes and into a house, which also caught on fire. The homeowner was inside at the time of the incident, but is OK.

TMZ, which broke the news on Friday afternoon, posted a photo of Heche behind the wheel. There is a bottle near her in a cup holder with a red cap.

Witnesses told the outlet that Heche first crashed into the garage of an apartment complex in Mar Vista. Residents tried getting the actress out of the car and that appears to be when the photo was taken. She apparently put the car in reverse and then sped off, crashing into a nearby home shortly after.

Quite a week for fiery crashes in L.A., huh?

Yes, a violent month it was this week on LA streets…

We shouldn’t jump to conclusions about the cause of this one. She’s over 50, and a small seizure or cardiac event can translate into mayhem when behind the wheel. 

4 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Yes, a violent month it was this week on LA streets…

We shouldn’t jump to conclusions about the cause of this one. She’s over 50, and a small seizure or cardiac event can translate into mayhem when behind the wheel. 

Based on the video evidence, I'm prepared to jump to conclusions. She was obviously drunk as a skunk. And suicidal, it appears. 

On 8/5/2022 at 11:53 PM, nycman said:

From the TMZ article:

"We're told her condition prevents doctors from performing any tests to determine if she was driving under the influence of alcohol."

That’s one of the stupidest sentences I’ve ever read. 

The Los Angeles Times reports that LAPD said "...Heche suffered significant burns and was deemed to be under the influence and acting erratically..." and that due to her condition they had not been able to discuss what had happened.

My guess is TMZ's information is dated and hasn't been updated yet or they are full of shit.

2 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

80 miles an hour down a narrow residential street is either mechanical failure or a careless drunken suicide attempt.

The way she pulled out of the storage area after her first accident and attempts to help her suggest this was no mechanical failure. Your second option is more likely. 

All the more contemptible if this was a suicide attempt. Even if someone thinks life ain't worth living, there's no need to take others along to the grave or hospital. Arguably, one of the advantages of living in the US is that if you really want to off yourself, you can just buy a gun. And if you're too impatient to wait out California's 2-week waiting period, Arizona is just a short drive or flight away!

Edited by Unicorn

If Heche was conscious and able to communicate, should could refuse to have blood drawn.  Authorities would then need a court order.  Depending on whether one was obtained, and when, any test may be pointless.  She may also have been medicated by the hospital because of her injuries.  But the simplest explanation is preferential treatment.  Time may tell.

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

All the more contemptible if this was a suicide attempt. Even if someone thinks life ain't worth living, there's no need to take others along to the grave or hospital. Arguably, one of the advantages of living in the US is that if you really want to off yourself, you can just buy a gun. And if you're too impatient to wait out California's 2-week waiting period, Arizona is just a short drive or flight away!

Huh?

9 hours ago, Unicorn said:

All the more contemptible if this was a suicide attempt. Even if someone thinks life ain't worth living, there's no need to take others along to the grave or hospital.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that video of her Mini coupe speeding through a residential neighborhood like a rocketship .

homeowner Lynne Mishele and her family “very narrowly escaped physical harm” from the crash that “completely burned” their home, according to a fundraiser that showed shocking images of the destruction.

“Lynne lost her entire lifetime of possessions” and mementos, said the fundraiser, which had raised just over $17,000 by Sunday afternoon.

spacer.png

20 hours ago, former lurker said:

If Heche was conscious and able to communicate, should could refuse to have blood drawn.  Authorities would then need a court order.  Depending on whether one was obtained, and when, any test may be pointless.  She may also have been medicated by the hospital because of her injuries.  But the simplest explanation is preferential treatment.  Time may tell.

That's factually incorrect in all 50 states. California, as well as all other states, has an implied consent law which requires all drivers to be tested for alcohol or other impairing substances whenever they drive. I can't imagine driving in any jurisdiction in which people could get completely drunk or stoned, and then simply declare they refused to be tested for driving-impairing substances. Also, especially in emergency situations, physicians and other health care personnel are under no obligation to go through an informed consent process when ordering blood or other lab tests, especially when such tests assist the health care team in their treatment of the patient. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implied_consent

"All U.S. states have driver licensing laws which state that a licensed driver has given their implied consent to a certified breathalyzer or by a blood sample by their choice, or similar manner of determining blood alcohol concentration...".

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

That's factually incorrect in all 50 states. California, as well as all other states, has an implied consent law which requires all drivers to be tested for alcohol or other impairing substances whenever they drive. I can't imagine driving in any jurisdiction in which people could get completely drunk or stoned, and then simply declare they refused to be tested for driving-impairing substances. Also, especially in emergency situations, physicians and other health care personnel are under no obligation to go through an informed consent process when ordering blood or other lab tests, especially when such tests assist the health care team in their treatment of the patient. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implied_consent

"All U.S. states have driver licensing laws which state that a licensed driver has given their implied consent to a certified breathalyzer or by a blood sample by their choice, or similar manner of determining blood alcohol concentration...".

You're arguing with someone who may have worked for a United States Senator in New England

3 hours ago, Unicorn said:

That's factually incorrect in all 50 states. California, as well as all other states, has an implied consent law which requires all drivers to be tested for alcohol or other impairing substances whenever they drive.

The devil is in the details….

While what you said is factually true, you can withdrawal your "implied consent" at anytime. So in reality the police can’t draw your blood without your consent at the time of the blood draw, or failing that, a court order. The moment you refuse however, you will automatically loose your license to drive in that state, since you have withdrawn your "implied consent" which was part of your agreement to obtain a license.

In general, they will only go to the trouble of getting a court order if the case involves a vehicular homicide charge. Otherwise, they’re just happy to take your license and call it a day. If you kill someone while driving drunk, I suggest you refuse to have your blood drawn until they get a court order. It usually takes an hour or so to find and wake up the judge. If you’re lucky your blood alcohol will drop below the legal limit. If they nail you with a DWI vehicular homicide, your not gonna care about wether or not you have a drivers license for several years anyways, so it’s worth the gamble.

If it’s a plain old DWI charge, it’s a toss up. If seen people refuse and beat the charge, despite video footage of them obviously plastered. And they got their license back. Totally insane but it true. 

Best advice is to always have your lawyer on speed dial and don’t say ANYTHING until you speak to your lawyer. Let me repeat….do not say ANYTHING. Not even "Hello, officer". Keep your fucking mouth shut. 

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Also, especially in emergency situations, physicians and other health care personnel are under no obligation to go through an informed consent process when ordering blood or other lab tests, especially when such tests assist the health care team in their treatment of the patient. 

Those tests are not admissible in court since there is no "chain of custody" maintained in the hospital. 

Just FYI.